how did you lose the back fat?

Options

Replies

• capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Dr's Christian Troy and Sean McNamara helped me.

nip_tuck-11645.jpg
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    OP, Steve Turano (askarealexpert on youtube) has 25 years of bodybuilding experience. Listen to his thoughts on eating a calorie surplus for building muscle and decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvuxJF4b2c

Agreed. I have a Master's degree in exercise physiology and have never heard of needing a calorie surplus to build lean muscle, especially in sedentary people. To gain weight by adding muscle, yes. Hence, maximizing with a calorie surplus. And building lean muscle under fat will not "make it stick out more". You may add additional fat because you have a calorie surplus, but building actual lean muscle under fat would not cause it to "stick out". It will cause you to increase fat storage. This wasn't "misunderstood". It was miscommunicated.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    OP, Steve Turano (askarealexpert on youtube) has 25 years of bodybuilding experience. Listen to his thoughts on eating a calorie surplus for building muscle and decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvuxJF4b2c

Agreed. I have a Master's degree in exercise physiology and have never heard of needing a calorie surplus to build lean muscle, especially in sedentary people. To gain weight by adding muscle, yes. Hence, maximizing with a calorie surplus. And building lean muscle under fat will not "make it stick out more". You may add additional fat because you have a calorie surplus, but building actual lean muscle under fat would not cause it to "stick out". It will cause you to increase fat storage. This wasn't "misunderstood". It was miscommunicated.

"building actual lean muscle under fat would not cause it to "stick out". "
    Hence the term bulky..
    and what happens when you increase fat storage you stick out more because of the extra gainied weight correct?
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I lost the back fat after a year of lifting weights 3 to 4 days a week while eating at a deficit. I did no additional cardio beyond the cardio effect that comes with lifting weights.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I had someone tell me once that the last thing you put on is the first to go and vise versa. I've had it there for a long, long time and while it's going away at it's own rate, it is a painfully slow process. Everything else melts off like ice cream on a summer day. I don't suppose he was an expert but it sure has been the truth in my journey.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    LOL you misunderstood. I said if you build new lean muscle under the fat in OPs problem area that already sticks out now because of fat would sick out even more if she built new muscle underneith.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe it depends on the individual rate of muscle gain/fat loss for a particular person.

I have a good amount of fat on my upper arms, thighs and calves, and since starting cardio and strength training 3 months ago, I have lost barely any inches in those three areas, but I have lost quite a few inches on my waist. And my arms and calf muscles look a lot more refined, so I can only assume that I lost enough fat and built enough muscle to show a visible difference of composition, without the size of those areas changing all that much.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    I look at metaphorically speaking like buying an old house. You buy it strip is all down(fat) then rebuild/remodel it.(muscle)
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    LOL you misunderstood. I said if you build new lean muscle under the fat in OPs problem area that already sticks out now because of fat would sick out even more if she built new muscle underneith.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe it depends on the individual rate of muscle gain/fat loss for a particular person.

I have a good amount of fat on my upper arms, thighs and calves, and since starting cardio and strength training 3 months ago, I have lost barely any inches in those three areas, but I have lost quite a few inches on my waist. And my arms and calf muscles look a lot more refined, so I can only assume that I lost enough fat and built enough muscle to show a visible difference of composition, without the size of those areas changing all that much.

"but I have lost quite a few inches on my waist. And my arms and calf muscles look a lot more refined"

Thats because you are burning fat using a weight loss deit strip the fat = more muscle definition if you have enough muscle to define that is.... Now if you were on a bulking diet as I was saying to gain more lean muscle mass then yes you would become bulky if you are already fat.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I look at metaphorically speaking like buying an old house. You buy it strip is all down(fat) then rebuild/remodel it.(muscle)

Why bother waiting to lift weights? Seems like an awful waste of time, especially if it can take years to lose all the body fat. Not all of us are getting any younger.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Why bother waiting to lift weights? Seems like an awful waste of time, especially if it can take years to lose all the body fat. Not all of us are getting any younger.

To retain muscle mass as you can while on a weight loss diet.
  • jg627
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Wait... what? You retain muscle mass by not lifting?
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    delete
  • jg627
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Reading comprehension?

Dude you asked me "Why bother waiting to lift weights? "

I responded to retain muscle mass and let me add to that since you say "Not all of us are getting any younger."
    Weight lifting can also enhance bone density even in the elderly.

So I should wait to lift weights until after I lose the weight, because..... "I responded to retain muscle mass".
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

"but I have lost quite a few inches on my waist. And my arms and calf muscles look a lot more refined"

Thats because you are burning fat using a weight loss deit strip the fat = more muscle definition if you have enough muscle to define that is.... Now if you were on a bulking diet as I was saying to gain more lean muscle mass then yes you would become bulky if you are already fat.

But, if I was losing muscle AND fat because I was eating in a caloric deficit, then wouldn't I lose inches in that area as well?
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Reading comprehension?

I responded to retain muscle mass and let me add to that since you say "Not all of us are getting any younger."

So I should wait to lift weights until after I lose the weight, because..... "I responded to retain muscle mass".

Oh didnt see "waiting" to lift weights. You dont have to wait but why bulk for new lean muscle mass?
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Reading comprehension?

Making popcorn :glasses:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

But, if I was losing muscle AND fat because I was eating in a caloric deficit, then wouldn't I lose inches in that area as well?

Sure but how does that help the op and the question at hand??
  • jg627
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Reading comprehension?

Oh didnt see "waiting" to lift weights. You dont have to wait but why bulk for new lean muscle mass?

Because I happen to like squatting over 300 lbs.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Reading comprehension?

Well then thats great for you. I dont think the op wants to bulk though.
  • jg627
    Options

To retain muscle mass.

Reading comprehension?

Well then thats great for you. I dont think the op wants to bulk though.

That's why I said, "...and decide for yourself".