I can't breathe when I run :(

Options
13»

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Is it just a wind issue?

Most beginners are limited by their wind, or ability to breath, more than their muscular endurace. It gets better pretty fast. However if you are starting at nothing, it will be several months before you are able to run several miles without being out of breath.

If you are out of breath, slow down. It may not seem like it as you are running if you are still new to running, but slowing down will drastically affect your breathing. Beginners have a harder time noticing this because it isn't an immediate reaction, it can take a little bit before yoru breathing reacts to the speed change.

Doing a little bit of sprinting is a great way to improve your wind fast. Every single football team out there, at every level, runs gassers in camp, short little sprints across the field meant to have you gasping for air. Keep training these, or something similar, and your ability to run without being out of breath will greatly improve.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Running's no joke... it ain't easy and it's not like it 'feels good' to run. It's still not very easy for me to breathe while I'm running, but I *do* breathe better than when I first started. It gets better... you just need to build up your endurance :wink:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Running's no joke... it ain't easy and it's not like it 'feels good' to run.

It does get easy though. Eventually if you stick with runninng everybody should be able to do an easy run, a slow pace and shorter distance where your breathing rare barely elevates and you barely get tired, about the equivalent of a walk for an out of shape person.

It also sounds like you've never exerienced runners high. Runners high is better than an orgasm. Some people think it is a myth (science is still scratching their head over it), but I've had it a few times and it is very real. Now I'm always chasing the dragon when I run.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's not supposed to feel comfortable. Unless you have a heart/respiratory condition, just trust your body and try to deal with it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think that you need to build endurance first, then add speed later.

^^^^^ This. Personally, I use an elliptical to build endurance, and I surprised myself the other day by hopping on a treadmill for the hell of it and running 2 miles at what for me was a completely unattainable pace 3 months ago. Building endurance is all about getting your heart rate up to an elevated healthy level, and keeping it there for long periods of time, and repeating the process a few times a week for a while. You'll find that the same heart rate will gradually support more and more energetic workouts. Then start some interval training (increased effort to increase heart rate, lowered effort to allow recovery, repeat).

For me, the elliptical is ideal because I can raise and lower my cadence and/or adjust the resistance to easily maintain specific heart rates. I can also focus on the burn without worrying about missing a step or adverse effects on my knees or ankles.

When I first started playing around with running, I thought it was all about getting out there and running as fast as you could until it hurt, then repeating it until the hurt took longer to get to. It was painful, and frustrating, and I suffered from a few minor injuries, and at the end of a whole summer I would complete a 5K training "run" gasping for breath and sometimes throwing up from the pain of the stitches in my side.

Hard work, but not too hard, and patience is the key.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely ask your doctor about it. It could be that you're running too fast. It could be exercise-induced asthma. It could be that your heart rate is too high. It could be a combination of any of those, something else entirely, or nothing at all.

The key is whether something feels wrong to you. If something feels off, it's always best to consult a physician. I found out that for me it's a combination of all three. I was running too fast, I have exercise-induced asthma, and I have to make sure to keep track of my heart rate because it sky-rockets (I've had it go so fast that even though I was inhaling and exhaling just fine, the oxygen wasn't getting transferred to the blood).
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice.

I don't think I'm struggling to breathe because I'm going too fast. I'm a very slow jogger and it's very similar in speed to power walking. A little faster, but not by much.

I'm on a walk to jog program. I'm only on the 3rd week so here is my routine so far [ it involves more jogging as the weeks go on ]:

Week 1: Walk: 4min, Jog: 1min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 1min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 1min
    Week 2: Walk: 4min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 2min
    Week 3: Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min

I always start with a bit of a warm up and end with walking until my heart rate slows down.
    I'm just concerned because I am going incredibly slow and the rest of my body is ready to take more but my airway feels like it's clogged or something. I start wheezing and coughing and just feel like someone is gripping my lungs. And this happens very shortly after I start my exercise and it's so difficult to catch my breath :S
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    In and out on the right foot...every 2 or 4 steps..I go every 2 when hill training.
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    The wheezing is not a normal symptom of running... and neither is the tight feeling Deff time to go see your doctor. Asthma even when only exercise induced can be very serious ! Make an Apt. ASAP! If anyone else is experiencing these symptoms they are not normal even if they are "normal for you" Go see your docs!
    Thanks again for all the advice.

I don't think I'm struggling to breathe because I'm going too fast. I'm a very slow jogger and it's very similar in speed to power walking. A little faster, but not by much.

I'm on a walk to jog program. I'm only on the 3rd week so here is my routine so far [ it involves more jogging as the weeks go on ]:

Week 1: Walk: 4min, Jog: 1min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 1min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 1min
    Week 2: Walk: 4min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 4min, Jog: 2min
    Week 3: Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min, Walk: 3min, Jog: 2min

I always start with a bit of a warm up and end with walking until my heart rate slows down.
    I'm just concerned because I am going incredibly slow and the rest of my body is ready to take more but my airway feels like it's clogged or something. I start wheezing and coughing and just feel like someone is gripping my lungs. And this happens very shortly after I start my exercise and it's so difficult to catch my breath :S
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This will sound stupid but u dont smoke at all do you even passive smoking?? I used to smoke and I couldn't run and I would cough and be short of breath now I have quit for 4 months and I can run forever.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's all sorts of things it could be, but the gripping sensation isn't normal. The symptoms are exactly the same as asthma, but you need a doctor to do a lung function test to be sure and to rule out and heart and other problems.

With identical symptoms I went to the doctor, got an inhaler and now whenever I get the the symptoms a short puff later they've disappeared, even on very long or hard sessions. As time has gone on I need it less and less and I now only take it with me for emergencies. The sooner you get a proper diagnosis the sooner you'll get treated and feel better!

Take everyone's advice here and get a doctor's appointment ASAP. You'll get proper treatment and you'll find you're running longer, faster and more comfortably than you ever though possible. DON'T IGNORE ANY PROBLEMS WITH BREATHING! That is all :flowerforyou: