Is 130g too much protein in one day?

Options
13»

Replies

• texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Any recommendations for protein powder??

I can't imagine eatting that much protein...

I like Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate. 1 scoop is 120 cals, 24 gm of protein. I just mix it in water with a spoon...it mixes smooth and tastes great.

Your Whey is 35 grams of cholesterol per scoop. Not bad, but you can do better. GNC 5, Jay Robb 0. Why add cholesterol when adding whey protein. It makes no sense to me to look good on the outside and mess up the inside. I know someone who is loosing weight doing Adkins and eats lots of bacon and is losing weight. Get the idea. I see bypass in their future.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I have 500g + a day.

You'll be fine. And if you don't believe me...
    Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?

Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

PMID: 10722779 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I eat 125 a day... and I'm a girl.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    any suggestions for a vegetarian or vegan protein powder that DOESN'T contain any ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS???
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for protein powder??

I can't imagine eatting that much protein...

I like Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate. 1 scoop is 120 cals, 24 gm of protein. I just mix it in water with a spoon...it mixes smooth and tastes great.

Your Whey is 35 grams of cholesterol per scoop. Not bad, but you can do better. GNC 5, Jay Robb 0. Why add cholesterol when adding whey protein. It makes no sense to me to look good on the outside and mess up the inside. I know someone who is loosing weight doing Adkins and eats lots of bacon and is losing weight. Get the idea. I see bypass in their future.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My diet as a whole is very low in cholesterol, and I'm always quite a bit under by MFP standards, but thanks for your concern. I never claimed the product I use is the best, most amazing protein on the market...I was just sharing what I chose. :wink:
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have started to add protein powder to my diet and dont want to over do it! Is 130g of protein too much in one day?

As long as you're healthy and have healthy kidneys and it fits into your dialy calories then nope.
    I eat about 300g in 1 day and all is well with my blood work. I just have to intake a high amount of fluids which is good for me anyways.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney problems, you likely won't get too much protein. I had 131g today and I'm a vegetarian female.

Good job Morebean. I'm at 138g (also a vegetarian) so far today, and I still have 200 calories to eat/drink, so I'm thinking a whey powder in soymilk shake... That will put me at 170, which is my daily goal.

Whey to go on you too!

Thanks Guys! :blushing:

ETA: 170 is impressive! I don't know that I've ever gotten that high- except for the 17 minutes I tried low-carb vegetarian.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm using Body Fortress 52g! I have up my protein on the days I work out 200g but I'm not consuming as much on the days I rest. Should I still consume 200g everyday even if I'm not going to the gym?
  • manning9
    manning9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you if you are getting too much protein.....and it's not fun.
  • Jacob2kD
    Jacob2kD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i use thi Find Your Protein Number via gnc http://www.gnclivewell.com/proteinnumber/?utm_source=gnc.com&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=cat_page_spot#findpro

put in your info it ask then submit it will give you a break down of whats good for you per your age weight etc