Any vegetarians started eating meat again??

Options
AH2013
AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
I've been veggie for 23 years and never had a problem with it until I realised that it was stopping me from gaining proper muscle in order to lose fat. I kept being told that I should be eating meat to get my proper quota of protein for the day and drastically cut down on the carbs (which is hard when you are veggie).

Just wondered if anyone else has been through the veggie turning meat eater again as I'm finding it a bit of a struggle, in my head! I became a veggie for ethical reasons and I think that is what is holding me back. But having read many studies about how being vegetarian is not healthy for the body is making me think I need to eat meat again if I want a healthy body.

Should I persevere or should I just admit defeat and stick to eating what doesn't make me want to vom!?!?

Replies

• m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I was a veggie for 10ish years. Largely for quality of meat issues rather than ethical so one bacon butty and I never looked back

My feeling is veggies either go plant food or dairy as a main food. Neither being good. Mine being dairy, and coupled with other issues = 21stone

Being back to meat (while all the veggis will flame me) is probably for the better.

Eating what makes you vomit - is probably not good. Maybe just try and build up slowly with what you like rather than hitting the Atkins.

What do you eat now?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I was a veggie for 10ish years. Largely for quality of meat issues rather than ethical so one bacon butty and I never looked back

My feeling is veggies either go plant food or dairy as a main food. Neither being good. Mine being dairy, and coupled with other issues = 21stone

Being back to meat (while all the veggis will flame me) is probably for the better.

Eating what makes you vomit - is probably not good. Maybe just try and build up slowly with what you like rather than hitting the Atkins.

What do you eat now?

I agree. I was vegan for 7 years and veggie on and off for 4 years prior. It was THE hardest decision, other than NOT applying to Harvard (and if you knew, I could have applied but didn't, so lazy haha) that I ever made. I particularly don't care about animals, in an, what I deem "ethical" way, treatment wise, I just thought/think it's weird to eat something that has a parent. lol. Anyway, I had to eat chicken because my peds was really having a hard time with me getting enough B-12 and Iron. To this day my body has never even repaired and yeah, I'm trying to eat better after going overboard with chicken nuggets and cheese. I was really sad giving up veganism because I felt it was part of me and my identity. I will never forget the first meal I had, 2 5 piece chicken nuggets from Wendy's. I never looked back. I'm still struggling now, I just hope in the very near future, it will be a thing of the past.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of things you can eat that aren't meat based, which are still high in protein.

I'd recommend quinoa, tofu, nuts, nut butter and eggs for your natural protein... and then adding protein powder either in your usual recipes (it's great added to smoothies, or into baking) or as a milkshake. I sometimes have protein bars as well, although it's hit and miss for which ones taste any good!

If you can stomach adding just fish back into your diet, that will also increase your protein count loads. I'm pescetarian (mainly for health reasons rather than ethical) and am currently trying to hit a 30% protein ratio. It's tough to do without protein supplements!
  • AH2013
    Options

What do you eat now?

Well I just had a chicken sarnie for lunch. It doesn't make me physically sick but it does make me feel a little gross, I don't enjoy it. I also know that it contributed to my weight gain due to all the carbs, and subsequently low fat crap I was consuming. I also read recently that vegetarians lose their digestive enzymes (which is why I take the supplements now) once they stop eating meat and this contributes to weight gain also. I may have to restrict myself to eating meat once a week or fortnight to start off and see where it gets me. Was just curious to know if others had gone through it..... and come out the other end :)
  • AH2013
    Options
    There's plenty of things you can eat that aren't meat based, which are still high in protein.

I'd recommend quinoa, tofu, nuts, nut butter and eggs for your natural protein... and then adding protein powder either in your usual recipes (it's great added to smoothies, or into baking) or as a milkshake. I sometimes have protein bars as well, although it's hit and miss for which ones taste any good!

If you can stomach adding just fish back into your diet, that will also increase your protein count loads. I'm pescetarian (mainly for health reasons rather than ethical) and am currently trying to hit a 30% protein ratio. It's tough to do without protein supplements!

I eat all of these veggie options, but it still isn't enough for my protein intake each day. You need to eat a lot more to get the same protein you will from meat. Believe me if I could get what I needed from not eating meat, I most certainly would. I might try the fish option, never liked it before but I'm older and wiser now (?!) so who knows....thanks!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across a site for vegetarian body builders, the other day, which seemed to have lots of really helpful information. Maybe do a google for that?

I would think carefully about this, if you're a vege for ethical reasons that you still believe in. I appreciate your struggles, but I'm not convinced it's necessary to abandon your diet if you don't want to. (Of course, if you *do* want to, that's a different thing entirely.) I've very occasionally tried to eat meat, having been a vege just a tiny bit longer than you. It makes me gag. I can't *make* myself swallow it. And on the odd occasion when it has made it down my throat, it tends to come straight back up again.

If I can help, I will. There are lots of vege proteins that you could use - not least just using a good vegetarian shake. If you want me to have a look through what you're eating now and make some suggestions, I'm happy to do so.

Not trying to influence you in either direction, as I think that what people put in their bodies is entirely their choice. But it doesn't sound like your heart's really in this.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Just had a quick look at your diary, but there's not much in there, so it's hard to help.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I tried being a vegetarian for about 18 months maybe 10 years ago just because I thought it was healthier and I'd loose weight. I gave up on it after I got some blood work done and my cholesterol was sky high (genetic according to my doctor but all I needed at the time to bail on the no-meat thing.) I like meat and fish though so it was easy to go back. I'm still pretty picky about meat though and avoid anything prepackaged- fast food- etc.
  • SuprGirl33
    SuprGirl33 Posts: 5
    Options
    It's your choice whether you want to go back to meat again. However, you don't have to to be healthy or feel good. There are many people that have very active lifestyles and are either vegan or vegetarian. Every body type is different as well and what may be good for your blood type and personal nutrition needs may not be for someone else in your family. Here's a recent article on Runner's World I hope you'll enjoy. Whatever you decide, I hope it's the best for you and that you're successful in it!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303-308-14320-0,00.html
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat all of these veggie options, but it still isn't enough for my protein intake each day. You need to eat a lot more to get the same protein you will from meat. Believe me if I could get what I needed from not eating meat, I most certainly would. I might try the fish option, never liked it before but I'm older and wiser now (?!) so who knows....thanks!
    I'm not a veggetarian but see that you may try pescatarianism. If you didn't like fish when you were young then I suggest you try white fish like tilapia, flounder, roughy etc. They're very mild flavor in comparison to say salmon or tuna. Although I must admit, I love a good tuna steak!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian for ~20 years. I get most of my protein from vegetarian sources though. I aim for over 100g of protein and I rarely am under 120g. If you don't like meat, there are other sources.

Whey protein, cheese, tofu, edamame, lima beans, quinoa, eggs, etc.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vegetarian-bodybuilding.htm

http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/tips63iu.htm

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

There's loads out there - clearly people who are successfully building muscle and managing well on a vege / vegan diet.

For me, the trick to getting protein up is to make sure I have protein with every meal, and with pretty much every snack. And make sure you're having a protein shake every day.

Also, make sure your base cals are right. If you're trying to hit protein targets but your overall cals are low, it's much harder.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was veggie for 10 years and then one day I just started craving fish. After about a month of craving fish I came to the conclusin that if my body wanted it, I must need somthing thats in it. I also had come to the conclusion that rather than embracing vegetarianism, it was more like I was denying meself meat. I've been back eating meat for about 6 years now.

I agree that there are ways to be a healthy vegietarian if you look for them but it's a personal decision every indevidual makes.
  • AH2013
    Options
    I stumbled across a site for vegetarian body builders, the other day, which seemed to have lots of really helpful information. Maybe do a google for that?

I would think carefully about this, if you're a vege for ethical reasons that you still believe in. I appreciate your struggles, but I'm not convinced it's necessary to abandon your diet if you don't want to. (Of course, if you *do* want to, that's a different thing entirely.) I've very occasionally tried to eat meat, having been a vege just a tiny bit longer than you. It makes me gag. I can't *make* myself swallow it. And on the odd occasion when it has made it down my throat, it tends to come straight back up again.

If I can help, I will. There are lots of vege proteins that you could use - not least just using a good vegetarian shake. If you want me to have a look through what you're eating now and make some suggestions, I'm happy to do so.

Not trying to influence you in either direction, as I think that what people put in their bodies is entirely their choice. But it doesn't sound like your heart's really in this.

Yeah, sorry, only just back from hols and wasn't logging at all while I was away (really bad I know, but I was out of the house having fun!). I do have a diary for today and partly for what I'm planning tomorrow or you could go back a month. I eat a lot of meat substitute and protein shakes but I found a lot pressure to start eating meat again, especially as I'm getting more and more into training and my weight loss has stalled. You are right though, my heart really isn't in this, however I'm torn between persevering and just admitting defeat and sticking with my veg diet. I kind of know what the answer is but just wanted some ideas from those who have tried. Thanks so much for your wise words!!! :smile:
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    18 plus years then started eating seafood again. I think it's possible to get a lot of protein as a vegetarian, but will take planning and work to get high numbers consistently. I hd to accept my lazy nature when t ame to old prep. My earth was suffering, again not because I was a vegetarian, but because I was a bad one. Ridiculously liw b12, iron, and a whole lt of deficiencies.

Anywho, for supplement you can do tofu, protein powders, Greek yogurt, etc. look up vegetarian body builders, that is if you really want to remain a vegetarian.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Ah, lovely, it's a really tough decision.

With you in mind, I made a special effort with my protein planning for today - have a look in there and see if you can get some ideas. I haven't logged exercise yet, so the balance will shift a bit, and I'll probably throw in some yoghurt (total fage has a good protein count).

One thing I noticed that might help you - the protein count on skimmed milk, and to a lesser degree semi skimmed milk products is much lower than on whole milk. And the calorie count isn't really as dramatically different as you might imagine. Just that might help.

If I'm being careful with my proteins, I add pulses to pretty much everything. If I'm making a rice based dish, I mix 50% rice, 50% lentils, for instance. If I'm making a bolognese, I use quorn AND kidney beans, and less pasta. Might help
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you've been a vegi for ages, a quick word of caution. Start eating meat slowly, a little each week. Your weaker herbivore digestive system might take time to adjust to our omnivore ways.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 23 years and never had a problem with it until I realised that it was stopping me from gaining proper muscle in order to lose fat. I kept being told that I should be eating meat to get my proper quota of protein for the day and drastically cut down on the carbs (which is hard when you are veggie).
    Being a vegetarian is not the reason you cannot gain muscle. And gaining muscle won't help you lose fat. Focus on calories and macronutrient levels. Will eating meat make it easier to hit your daily protein goal? Probably. That doesn't mean you cannot hit your protein goal as a vegetarian.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Been debating returning to a little meat myself. I have done it on several occasions since becoming veggie at 13, but always went off it again, as I just felt uncomfortable ethically eating it, and didn't enjoy it enough to justify eating it. Also, my reasons for not eating it are ethically based, so the only way I would go back to it would be if I got it from a local farm or organic which is expensive. I must admit, recently, I experienced the most intense craving for the liver my boyfriend had cooked with bacon and ended up eating some. So I must have been lacking in something, iron I guess.

I don't know if some people are less cut out to be vegetarian or not. I must admit, I do tend to lack in energy more and more as I get older, whereas it was not an issue before. But I also worry I would actually gain weight eating meat again as I did gain a little just from having some liver a few days running.

I get my protein from beans, quinoa, Fage 0% yoghurt, full fat milk, cottage cheese, eggs, tofu and I do eat fish a lot so I guess that helps, though I feel guilty about eating anything with a face, in truth. But others have said that your health should come first.