Any vegetarians started eating meat again??

Options

Replies

• peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for over 20 years. About half of that time I ate fish/seafood. Most of my protein sources were highly processed *meat replacements* - you know, that Morningstar Farms stuff, tofurkey and the like. My diet was very high in carbs and quite low protein. Last summer, after being really frustrated with fatigue, tummy troubles, poor muscle tone and an auto-immune disease that seemed to be constantly flaring, I decided to make the switch. For me, it was the right choice. My energy levels are so much better now, I have great muscle tone and have gone from around 25% body fat to 18-19%. I feel so much better, in so many ways.

That said, I think with a lot of thought and minimizing the processed stuff, most people can be just as healthy vegeatrian. For me, it just wasn't ideal (partially due to the fact that I don't manage gluten very well), but there are lots of folks who make it work wonderfully. It was Such a difficult choice for me to make- one that I really agonized over- but I wouldn't go back now. I try my best to eat mostly lean, humanely raised animal products, and buy local pasture fed when I can get it. That makes it feel a little better for me. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had been veggie for 10 yrs but recently added fish back to my diet, however I do not eat fish everyday. I also supplement my protein with a whey protein in addition to getting protein from soy and other sources. I have a 40% goal of protein 30% carbs and 30% fat, which comes out to about 120grams of protein. I try to keep my carbs from 60 to 90 grams per day. It works for me.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Your weaker herbivore digestive system might take time to adjust to our omnivore ways.

What a loaded sentence.

Either you want to eat meat or you don't. You don't have to eat meat to get the correct nutrition, but it sounds like you've made the decision, so as mr. loaded there says - take it easy, your digestive system isn't used to eating or processing the stuff in meat any more.

I've been veggie for over 10 years now (also ethical), it's not the fact i'm a veggie that made me fat, more my love of cake, chocolate.......the list goes on ;) If you really don't want to eat meat there are loads of resources out there to help - have you tried a protein supplement also?

Also, loads of conflicting evidence r.e. what is bad for you - meat vs veggie.....i wouldn't believe everything you read :)
  • spongela
    spongela Posts: 107
    Options
    I have been thinking that maybe I cant build big muscle with a vegetation diet, but when you see guys like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZv0milS6hE&feature=plcp

It can be done I guess.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 stone trying to go veggie (I did it for a year). I find meat much more satisfying as a protein source (and you don't have to over-dairy). Personally I try to eat ethically sourced meat and have one day a week where I don't eat meat and that works for me. I found that I lost about half a stone when I returned to eating meat, probably because I felt fuller.

I've also known veggies who have been very successful at losing weight while veggies and some athletes swear by it so it's really personal preference.

I also found that when veggie you often default to lots of high FODMAP foods (the ones that make you gassy). This didn't work for me but it depends on what you eat.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for several years, a decision based on ethics about the treatment of animals and health concerns about the way meat is produced.

I did find it very difficult to get adaequate protein, and I gave up when my hair started breaking off and a trichologist assessment found the cause to be protein deficiency.

Also I wasn't quite so poor as I had been, so I could afford to buy everything free range and organic. I never buy meat from a supermarket, and apart from the occasional vice of a chinese meal I eat no fast food. I'm not uncomfortable with eating meat as long as the animal has had a good life and been humanely slaughtered.

I have to say I feel much better for it.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and get plenty of protein. I lift heavy weights and getting stronger.
    I use protein powder to help supplement but some days I don't even need it.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want to eat and what makes you feel good.

I was a 'vegetarian' for about 3 years. I tried it from the age of 16 to 19. However, there came a time when I just started to crave meat again and so I started to eat it. While I don't eat a lot of meat and mainly eat chicken I do feel much better then I did then...
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for ethical reasons, but then I when I was moving to Africa, I realized it wasn't realistic to continue, and ate meat again (also I put in a lot of thought to my reasons, and realized not all were valid, but that's away from the point). I was ready to eat meat again, so it was fine.

If you're not ready, see if protein powder gets you the amount you need. If it's not enough, you can try adding in meat (free range, if it makes you feel better).
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 17 years - it started out for ethical reasons and then after so many years I completely lost the taste for meat and didn't like it when I tried it. There were a few occasions when I thought about going back, but just didn't find meat appetising.

But then in January I completely went back to eating meat, after a number of attempts at only trying things that looked appetising (only chicken and pork initially) and only eating small amounts that were cooked at home, because I didn't want to order something in a restaurant and get a large amount and not like it or have it make me feel sick. Gradually, I found my taste for meat again and now I love it, I think there is a novelty in now going to a restaurant and feeling so unrestricted, and trying loads of things I haven't eaten in 17 years. I am also enjoying learning to cook meat for the first time in my life. And I know I get loads more protein than I did before, and meal planning is a lot easier.

That said, if you don't like the taste, don't feel like you need to force yourself. If you want to try it, have it in small amounts and only if it seems appetising. You don't need to eat meat for weight loss, and you can get plenty of protein from non-meat sources.

I started this process in October and lost 5-6lbs a month whilst I was still vegetarian, and then when I started eating meat I continued to lose 5-6lbs a month.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If the thought of eating meat makes you want to vomit....... don't. Their are no health or aesthetic reasons to feel compelled to eat flesh. Put in a Google search for Vegetarian, or even Vegan, body builders. You'll find plenty of photos of well built, muscular, healthy people. You'll also find sites that share their strategies for achieving their physiques the 'veggie way'
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes... I was a vegetarian for three years in my late teens/early twenties. I had some strange health problems during that time - horrible eczema and anemia.

It turned out that I am allergic to soy, so a lot of the soy foods I was eating as a vegetarian were at the root of the eczema. As soon as I quit eating all unfermented soy, the eczema almost immediately went away.

The anemia was a bit more problematic. Bloodwork showed that I was severely lacking iron, even though I supplemented and ate vegetarian foods rich in iron. After a lot of trial and error, my doctor determined that my body just didn't absorb iron that well from plant-based and supplement sources. Evidently, for some people heme-based iron (from meat) is more readily absorbed.

I went back to eating meat and felt fine again. I was mainly a vegetarian for health/weight reasons, rather than ethical reasons. So, it was easy for me to accept going back to eating meat. I always liked meat, I just thought I'd be thinner and healthier without it. Turned out to not be true for me. :-)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have a 40% goal of protein 30% carbs and 30% fat, which comes out to about 120grams of protein. I try to keep my carbs from 60 to 90 grams per day. It works for me.

I know we don't always hit our goals right on the money but consistently consuming more than 35% of calories from protein (from any source) can damage your liver. If you're working out your body will need more carbs for energy anyway.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have a 40% goal of protein 30% carbs and 30% fat, which comes out to about 120grams of protein. I try to keep my carbs from 60 to 90 grams per day. It works for me.

I know we don't always hit our goals right on the money but consistently consuming more than 35% of calories from protein (from any source) can damage your liver. If you're working out your body will need more carbs for energy anyway.
    Any evidence to back up your claim?
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a little while, then added fish back in my diet (for lean protein), and just two weeks ago I've started eating meat again.
    I thought my body would go through hell reintroducing chicken, steak, etc but I feel fine. In fact, I feel stronger than ever. I'm eliminating the processed garbage I'd eat (faux meats) and opting for whole foods and my body is responding very well to it.

I change my diet often as I adapt to a new lifestyle and am still finding something that makes my body thrive.. so far I'm doing great! Best of luck to you and I say if you do eat meat again, look for organic chicken, grass-fed beef, etc...
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was also vegetarian for a really long time, but found out I had celiac disease and when I stopped eating gluten, I gradually added some fish to my diet. I have no problem getting plenty of protein. Greek yogurt, lentils, eggs, protein shakes (I recommend "vega" and even whole grains like oatmeal and quinoa have protein. I am at a healthy weight and have been for over a year now following this-- and don't feel hungry either!
  • klt2011
    klt2011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eating beans, hummus, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu, tofu pups, nuts, etc gives you plenty of protein. The list really goes on and on.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    It is more than possible to get the adequate amount of protein for muscle-building on a vegetarian or vegan diet. If you are vegetarian and not vegan, look into eggs, seitan, protein powder and lentils - they pack great protein per calorie.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Any evidence to back up your claim?

Mostly evidence based on rodents, but yes, there's a reasonable evidence base for the health risks of over-doing it on protein. As there is for overdoing it on pretty much any macro or micronutrient.
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options
    It's not the fact that your proteins aren't meat based that's making vegetarians/vegans have issues. It's almost always the lack of healthy fats (even lean cuts of meat still have some fat) that's causing problems. Your liver does not run on glycogen (carbs), it runs on fatty acids. Your skeletal muscles and heart can run on either, but they prefer fatty acids as well over glycogen. Everything else prefers glycogen over fatty acids. Your brain will only use glycogen with the exception of a fatty acid chain produced by the liver when you're in ketogenesis, that is capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, and since ketogenesis requires extremely low carb intake to induce, I doubt there are many vegetarians/vegans inducing ketogenesis in their bodies.

Many vegetarian/vegan diets are dangerously low in healthy fats, and in order for you to avoid health issues need to be supplemented with sources of fat that don't violate your dietary code. For vegans, that means eating nuts (also high in protein!), avocados, olives. Vegetarians that are okay with dairy/eggs can add whole milk and whole eggs to that (the fat is in the yolk). It would also be wise as a vegan/vegetarian to take the full dosage per day of an omega-3/6 supplement.