Best breakfast to fend off hunger?

Options

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    A simple guidline is fibre and protein. You've had a lot of good suggestions already about whole oatmeal, red river cereal, eggs, egg whites. I like to put some coconut oil in a pan, toss in some spinach, an egg and half a cup of egg whites. Put that on a piece of whilewheat bread. Avoid simple sugary carbs and white bread.I also like to put peanut butter in my oatmeal :-)

...and fasting is never a good idea for your health. It's just anorexia in disguise and will lower your metabolism and create a bad relationship with food.

Good luck
    Thanks! I certainly DO NOT want to be anorexic.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i normally eat a pack of belvita crackers..they taste great and keep me full until almost lunchtime..good luck
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I read about this study awhile back, here's one second hand interpretation: http://www.cbass.com/Breakfast.htm (basically, they did a study and found that people who ate a 600 calorie breakfast lost more weight and kept it off). I haven't had the guts to go up to 600 calories for breakfast, though maybe I should since my weight loss has been floundering. I have to have around 400 calories in the morning or I find I have to have a snack before lunch. Which I stared eating a little more in the mornings, I was able to eliminate my morning snack category. It makes sense to me, at least a couple of very overweight people I know make a habit of skipping breakfast most of the time.
    I go with what I crave. Right now, I eat a turkey sandwich with reduced fat pepper jack cheese on low calorie bread. I find that eating a peanut butter sandwich is good, too.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 protein shake
    and
    either:
    one serving of cerial
    bar
    greek yogurt plain with graonola and honey
    fiber one brownie
    any 100 calorie or less snake is my goal :-)

I'm experimenting myself too !
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, a piece of fruit, and some orange juice.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've become a big fan of this "berrylicious microwave muffin" thing I read about here. Try searching the message boards for the recipe.

It's basically 1/4 cup rolled (NOT instant, NOT steelcut) oats and an egg, scrambled together in a mug with some fruit (blueberries) and stevia, and a splash of milk.

Nuke it for 60-75 seconds and it's very filling.
  • freyaskitty
    freyaskitty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to make breakfast protein-heavy, otherwise I'm starving in a hour after I finish.

I typically have some sort of egg (fried whole, white-only omlette, etc.) with a low-fat meat added (Morningstar breakfast strips are a favorite or thin sliced turkey). I add a ton of veggies, a slice of whole wheat toast (1/2 with strawberry spread) and a cuppa joe. And water of course.

The toast is the only real carb I eat for breakfast. I love hot cereals but have found that they just don't stick with me. Even heavy duty oatmeal leaves me hungry.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Granola and yogurt!
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. I know people that swear by oatmeal because it's high in fiber. Whereas if I eat oatmeal, I'm really hungry by lunch. I like a good balanced breakfast. Two egg beaters with cheese, two slices of whole grain bread, and coffee.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    2 eggs, scrambled, with one T grated parmesan, either 1/3 cup red pepper, mushrooms, or 1 cup spinach, and topped with two T of salsa. Add coffee plus soy milk and it comes in around 270 calories, depending on the veggie and the amount.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal (real stuff not packaged) with nuts (i like sun flower seeds unsalted) and a tbsp of ground flax.... Im good to go for the morning. The drink it a heavy and healthy breakfast. Its the best one to eat the most calories because you burn them off during the day anyways.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have 3/4 cup Fiber One 80 calorie cereal and 1/2 cup non fat plain greek yogurt. 153 calories for all and it holds me till Noon. The yogurt has 11 grams of protein for that amount.
  • ryuusei7
    ryuusei7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt, especially Fage. It's low in calories and packed with protein (about 13 or 14g in one small cup!). It's also low in sodium and high in calcium. When I have it for breakfast with my customary cup of tea, I never feel hungry and I have lots of energy. You should give it a try C:
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I often have 2 eggs fried in coconut oil and a piece of whole wheat toast topped with either avocado or peanut butter and maybe some fruit.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Breakfast sandwiches work the best for me, today i had a 100 calorie high fiber english muffin toasted with not quite a whole scrambled egg on it (i made two eggs, split it with my daughter, she got the significantly bigger "half") and a half slice of 2% american cheese. Calorie-wise it comes up at under 200 calories, but it is so delicious and keeps me full much longer than if I try to just eat fruit or cereal.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm also testing out intermittent fasting. Once a week is my goal at this point and only from breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner. I find once I get past the really hungry stage (which is really shorter than I expected) I can hold out fairly well. I'm only doing this to see if I can control my hunger. Not doing it necessarily for weight loss or for spiritual reasons.

Thanks for your input!

If you're going to test IF, I would speculate that you're best off taking an all-or-nothing approach for a short trial run rather than doing a once-per-week method.

I don't know specific details about ghrelin so hopefully someone who DOES will confirm this: Since ghrelin (a hormone that is partially responsible for sending hunger signals) is adaptable to behavior, taking a consistent approach to your feed schedule should give you adaptation much faster.

In short, adopting the same feed window for a few weeks should cause your body to expect to feed at those times once ghrelin adapts to your schedule.

Doing it one day per week (I am speculating, again) is probably not going to give you this adaptation and it's going to make the fasting portion a lot more difficult than it would be if you were to give it a more consistent approach.

If you try it for a few weeks and still don't like it, discard the idea.
    Can you give me more info? Do you mean do it every day for a new weeks? Only eat once a day? Sorry, but I'm brand new to this idea so bear with me. For how many hours?

I would do it every day for a few weeks because for most people, the fasted portion gets incredibly easier as you go. Doing it once per week, it's not likely to get much easier since your hunger signaling would likely be adapted to the other 6 days per week when you're eating normally. Again, this is my assumption.

As far as how many times you eat, it doesn't really matter. If you're going to take an IF approach, I'd do a 16/8 -- you'd basically skip breakfast and start eating around 1 or 2 pm and stop eating around 9 or 10pm (that's just an example). You'll also find out how well you sleep on a full stomach. For me, it's amazing and I shift most of my calories to evening because of it.

The physiological benefits are debatable but from a satiety standpoint you'll know within a few weeks if this is right for you or not. The fasting portion will get easier and then you end up with X calories being spent in a shorter time frame, which, in a relative sense, is like getting more food.

You can read about it at www.leangains.com.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    During the week I usually have a protein bar and then a piece of fruit mid morning with water, on the weekends I have 2 hard boiled eggs and yogurt or egg whites on a thin sliced wheat bagel.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i never eat breakfast just have my coffee, but lunch is oats soaked over night in fresh juice then add fat free yoghurt and fresh fruit, that takes me to dinner.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I "Fry" two eggs in a small amount of cooking spray. When they're almost finished, I add in a half of a tomato, sliced into two. Sometimes I will also eat that with a wedge of laughing cow light (garlic and herbs.) This really seems to keep me full and satisfied. Before my "lifestyle change" I wasn't a breakfast eater, but I can't believe the difference in my appetite when I do eat breakfast.

This breakfast has under 250 calories, but about 16 grams of protein. A winner in my book! :)
  • jmdolak
    jmdolak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that yogurt with flaxseed (ground up kind) works wonders on staving off hunger for long periods of time.