Best breakfast to fend off hunger?

Options

Replies

• vanderandkarl
    Options
    depends if iam working or not

on a work day: i have shredded wheat with milk and banana, a coffee and sometimes another peice of fruit or beans on toast (wholemeal or seeded)

on none work days: i have toast (wholemeal or seeded) scrammed egg bacon (fat removed) low fat susage mushrooms,onions,tinned tom and bean (yummmmmy) this normally fills me way past lunch time

sometime i dont have it at which is stupid :(

as for the fasting i cant comment as never done it and i am having to soon due to an op and not looking forward to it
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    In my experience, eating both parts of the egg keeps me fuller than just the whites (and the yolks are particularly nutritious! See this USDA table http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html). Unless cholesterol is a serious concern for you, you may want to consider eating whole eggs instead of just using whites.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My "go-to" breakfasts that I recycle over and over:

English muffin + 2 slices bacon + 2 poached egg yolks (I HATE egg whites...)
    English muffin + PB + banana
    Steel cut oats with slivered almonds and Splenda brown sugar blend
    Cheerios (1/2 PB Cheerios + 1/2 Chocolate Cheerios) + Almond milk
    Breakfast pizza (egg + hash browns + cheese + onion + turkey sausage crumbles baked into a pie)
    Strawberry banana cream baked oatmeal (oatmeal based bar that is very filling)

Any of these usually hold me over until after 11AM; I don't usually need a mid-morning snack. I drink a lot of water in the morning after getting to work so that probably helps too.
  • NWFLDeaconsWife
    NWFLDeaconsWife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have a few thoughts for you to consider.
    It has been scientifically proven that fiber is what helps you feel full the longest. It takes the longest to digest. And fiber comes from more than just bread or grains so you don't have to eat lots of carbs to get fiber. Many fruits and veggies have high fiber in them as well. Fruits like mango, orange, grapefruit, whole grapes, and apples. You have to leave the skin on the apples to get the most fiber available from them. Veggies like celery, bell pepper, cucumber (again, leave the skins on) and squash have lots of fiber in them.

You do need some protein every day. My doctor recommends that I get half that protein at breakfast and half during the rest of the day. Just like fiber doesn't mean bread, protein doesn't mean extra fat automatically, either. But keep in mind that your body does need a little fat each day to process the protein.

Fasting means a period with no food. This can both help and hurt, depending on your current eating patterns and your health condition (are you diabetic, hypertensive, low blood sugar, for examples). If you are eating something at regular intervals, but one of those 'extra' intervals is getting up in the middle of the night to eat something, then try cutting out the midnight snack. Breakfast is called that because it is the meal that breaks your overnight fasting (the longest time in a 24-hour period that most folks don't eat anything).

Lastly, don't drop down to eating just once a day. There are several things that happen in the body when you eat. Endocrine system fluids are released to the body (insulin, bile, gall, stomach acid, pituitary hormones, etc). The body is a very adaptable thing, and when there are too many of these fluids produced and not enough food in your system to process them with, your body goes into starvation mode and stores EVERYTHING, even that good-for-you fiber, as FAT to make it readily available for the body to use. When you don't eat regularly, the rate that food is broken down and used slows down also (your metabolism) gets very slow and sluggish in an attempt to reserve what fat you do have to keep you from 'starving to death'.

I have been told by my doctor that back in biblical and middle ages times the typical meal plan for a day was Breakfast, which was a reasonable meal, not too heavy because you had to go about working right after, but you took a bit of bread and cheese or cheese and dried meat with you to the field if you were a farmer or to the shop if you were a tradesman. Then Dinner which was the largest meal of the day, often served at the height of the day. That way the cooking was done in the morning before it got too hot to stand over a fire, or plow in a field, or work in a craftshop. They would take their time eating this meal, since the heat of the day would not be passing for less than about three hours. So they would take about an hour to enjoy this meal. Then everyone took a nap or relaxed until the heat of the day was past, They took a bit of Dinner left over with them to tide them over until Supper at sundown. Supper was usually a light affair with some meat if it was available, and some sort of soup made with the veggies left over from Dinner. Then bedtime was a piece of bread (carb, yes, carb) or a bowl of oats or farina that would have lots of fiber in it so the body feels full all night long while you sleep. Ever notice that when you eat a high-carb meal you feel sleepy afterwards? Makes sense then to eat your carbs just before bed.

When done this way, you will lose some weight just because you are not leaving your heavy meal of the day until nighttime when you stop being active. I made the change to Dinner instead of Lunch at midday about a year ago and lost 25 lbs just from that simple change. See at night I ate Supper and then sat in front of the TV or computer. Now I eat Dinner and I still walk/work out/ clean house/ etc. during the afternoon so that larger meal's calories get put to good use instead of to my waist.

You will find also that if you do this, the need for the midnight snack will evaporate because your system will still have some of Dinner to work with and the carbs from Bedtime Snack and will become comfortable in about a week with the idea that it will get more food at breakfast and mid-morning snack and then Dinner again.

Good luck to you!
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bran flakes keep me full for ages.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to fasting, but I have two solid breakfasts that get me from 7AM till noon.

1. Overnight oatmeal: get Irish oats in the can, the ones with a really long cooking time. At night, bring your oats and water to a boil, then turn off the heat and cover it. They are cooked by the time you get up in the morning, and will heat up quickly. Add a couple prunes, pecans, wheat germ, whatever.

2. Get 1-2 corn tortillas, spread 1/4 cup refried beans on em, microwave for 20-30 seconds. Meanwhile make two eggs over easy in a tiny bit of butter (really, just a little makes a world of difference). Add some salsa, I use a ton of rooster sauce. :)
  • Polly758
    Options
    protein shake (3/4 scoop chocolate protein powder, almond milk *currently using so Almond + protein*, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin, black beans (1/8 cup), 2tbsp vanilla greek yogurt, ice)

Oh.... my gods.... this changes EVERYTHING.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    protein shake (3/4 scoop chocolate protein powder, almond milk *currently using so Almond + protein*, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin, black beans (1/8 cup), 2tbsp vanilla greek yogurt, ice)

Oh.... my gods.... this changes EVERYTHING.

It certainly does! I never considered canned pumpkin either
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    Now, I'm hungry after reading all these fabulous ideas!
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    In my experience, eating both parts of the egg keeps me fuller than just the whites (and the yolks are particularly nutritious! See this USDA table http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html). Unless cholesterol is a serious concern for you, you may want to consider eating whole eggs instead of just using whites.
    I love eating the entire eggs most days. Just wanted to try a new recipe. I'm all for the egg! I get my beautiful brown eggs from my neighbor. They are so fresh! Hardboiing is out of the question. Can't peel them.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow MFP'ers,

I'm testing various breakfasts to see what keeps me from starving the longest. What holds you intact without racking up too many calories?

If I get ravenous (as I usually do) then I'll eat almost anything... small dogs, children. (just kidding! don't freak!)

I'm also testing out intermittent fasting. Once a week is my goal at this point and only from breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner. I find once I get past the really hungry stage (which is really shorter than I expected) I can hold out fairly well. I'm only doing this to see if I can control my hunger. Not doing it necessarily for weight loss or for spiritual reasons.

Thanks for your input!

For me, no breakfast. If I eat even a COOKIE, I'm ravenous all day. If I don't eat breakfast...I can easily go till 2-3pm before really being hungry.

I do IF as well, by the way...but I've always been this way as far as eating and being hungry in the AM.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've become a big fan of this "berrylicious microwave muffin" thing I read about here. Try searching the message boards for the recipe.

It's basically 1/4 cup rolled (NOT instant, NOT steelcut) oats and an egg, scrambled together in a mug with some fruit (blueberries) and stevia, and a splash of milk.

Nuke it for 60-75 seconds and it's very filling.
    Alot of great ideas but this is one I had never heard of.. will definitely be doing this, also

It's even in the food diary database! ~130 calories, iirc.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I had a doctor tell me that our bodies produce more cholesterol than is in a dozen eggs on a daily basis. The amount of cholesterol in an egg is trivial for the amount that most of us eat.
  • Polly758
    Options
    I love eating the entire eggs most days. Just wanted to try a new recipe. I'm all for the egg! I get my beautiful brown eggs from my neighbor. They are so fresh! Hardboiing is out of the question. Can't peel them.

Yeah I get my eggs from my chickens and can't hard boil them until they are old, which pretty much never happens...
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Try this group on here - They can probably help you out with any questions about IF:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • Tyidwo
    Tyidwo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    An apple, a banana and 1 hard boiled egg- under 250 calories, lots of good nutrients and keeps me full for a long time
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just a few suggestions:

Oatmeal w/ fresh berries (I prefer blueberries) and coffee, egg while omelets with veggies, peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat and a glass of almond milk, a smoothie made with fresh fruit, milk, and a scoop of protein powder, protein pancakes.

:glasses:
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    All high fibre cereals will keep you full all morning, oat granola bars, trail mix or banana will easily keep your stomach happy for 3-4 hours and are low in fat...unlike the bacon and eggs. :smile:
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    for 260kcal you can put together some grilled bacon medallions, plum tomatos, large mushroom, fried egg and onion!
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Mmm...my two favorite breakfasts are...

1. Scottish oats with ground flax meal, hemp hearts and a tbsp of almond butter topped off with raw cacao nibs and strawberries or...
    2. A piece of 20 grain bread with black soy beans, mushrooms and onion all cooked up in coconut oil. I add half a grapefruit to that :)

I find the more protein I have in my breakfasts, the longer I stay full. I'd say the oats keep me full for a good 4-5 hours!

I should also add that I try for 350-450 calories for breakfast each morning.