How much sodium do you have each day? Help please

Options
124»

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I get daily. Don't track it. No reason to. Think I'm probably at 3,500 or so.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    as much as I feel like eating. My blood pressure is healthy, so I don't worry about it at all.
  • jameehardey
    jameehardey Posts: 32
    Options
    i personally try and stay under a thousand and also havemy potassium higher than sodium... yeah im a bit wierd hahah but under 1,000 keeps me feeling good and not bloated!
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alright seems to be making sense now to me....I exercise every day I try a min of 60 min whether that is pure cardio or cardio with strength training
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work as a nurse on a Cardiac floor, and our partients are restricted to 2000mg a day. That's what I aim for, too.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    No point tracking sodium, any "weight" it causes you to gain is just water. Unless you have an unusually high sodium day before weigh in it isn't going to make any difference.

That's fine if you are only on here to lose weight. For me and lots of others it's very much about optimising our health. I use all the nutritional breakdown to make sure everything's as good as I can realistically get it.

And sodium won't do anything to hurt health, assuming there isn't a pre-existing medical condition. Get potassium. Drink water. 'Problem' solved.
  • perfektfox
    perfektfox Posts: 8
    Options
    I track sodium because going too low makes me extremely sick. I need at LEAST 5000mg per day. Low blood pressure + hot climate + endurance runner + heavy sweater + clean bill of health. Lots and lots of research showing healthy people do not really need to watch their sodium. The kidneys flush the excess.
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have a high blood pressure mine is actually pretty low most days it is 80/60 or a bit higher when the doctors check it the but then one time they told me 106/64
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Under 2,000 mg a day. Keeps the bloat/water retention away. Better for the heart too.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    No point tracking sodium, any "weight" it causes you to gain is just water. Unless you have an unusually high sodium day before weigh in it isn't going to make any difference.

That's fine if you are only on here to lose weight. For me and lots of others it's very much about optimising our health. I use all the nutritional breakdown to make sure everything's as good as I can realistically get it.

exactly

I'm totally not bothered about health I guess

*lights cigarette, swigs gin*

For some I guess it's only about the number on the scale. For myself as a nurse it's more than that. It's about my patients I take care of daily dealing with CHF wondering if they would've changed the way they ate 20 years ago could they be in a different place. Do I want to be on BP meds someday over something I have control over? No.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

And sodium won't do anything to hurt health, assuming there isn't a pre-existing medical condition. Get potassium. Drink water. 'Problem' solved.

No it won't hurt your health. As long as the possible implications (raised blood pressure, water retention, gastric ulcers, osteoporosois, heart damage, kidney damage) don't bother you, eat as much sodium as you like. I just think it's such an easy thing to keep within moderate limits that it's a no-brainer to just keep an eye on it.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    So the thing about sodium is this: the amount you should consume depends on how physical you are in the day.

Athletes actually drink more sodium-rich drinks like Gatorade because sweating depletes salt from the body (yes, we all need salt in healthy amounts). If you're active (60 minutes of exercise a day), it's okay to go a little over MFP daily sodium recommendations. If you're not active, it really is a good idea to find ways to limit your sodium to the daily amount on this site.

This! I usually get 2500 a day, and my BP is 96/60 range :)
  • tsh0ck
    Options

No it won't hurt your health. As long as the possible implications (raised blood pressure, water retention, gastric ulcers, osteoporosois, heart damage, kidney damage) don't bother you, eat as much sodium as you like. I just think it's such an easy thing to keep within moderate limits that it's a no-brainer to just keep an eye on it.

If you say so.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

The jury is still out on whether a high sodium diet is actually unhealthy in the absence of a medical condition. It's another one of those FATS/CARBS/POTATOES/MEAT/EGGS ARE BAD FOR YOU!!! health scares that may end up biting us in the backside in the long run.

Take everything you hear with a grain of....eh...salt.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Where do they indicate sodium intake??? I missed that??

go to settings and you can choose what things you want to watch, like sugar, protein etc