Options
124»

Replies

• iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I eat 1400-1600 cals per day.

And eat less calories from fat and more from protein

I have a thyroid issue too, I've been here almost a month and lost 7-8 pounds, I find people will use any excuse in the book to stop

Don't do that to yourself. Stop sabotaging. Set yourself to lose a pound a week and you won't be under your BMR.

Also, a doctor should never tell you you can't lose weight, there's always SOMETHING you can do if you are over.

Because you have a thyroid problem DON'T eat all your cals back... we are a special case because calories metabolise slower, trying eating back just half. That's what I do.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to be honest with yourself here. In your first post you said you've only gone over your goal maybe three times, but by what I'm reading from everyone else, it looks like you go over a lot more often than that. You need to realize that MFP is only going to work if you use it properly.

I would up your calorie goal to 1400 (1200 might be too low for you) and then make sure you're staying within 150 calories of that every day. Some days you can be a tad under 1400, some days you can be a tad over. Maybe allow yourself a "cheat day" every couple of weeks where you don't log, or do log but allow yourself to go over as much as you want. That may help you control yourself on all the other days.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you don't take people's criticism of your diary personally. We all want to help each other out here and the truth is, if you don't stick to your goals you won't lose weight.

EDIT: oops, I missed the post where you said your BMR is 1700. If you're SURE that's your BMR, up your cals to that number or at least close to it. So 1600-1700 per day.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Up your calorie intake to 1500-ish (you will have to play with this til you find your "sweet spot"). I actually find that if I keep my net calories at about 1600-1700, I lose weight faster. I also try to keep my carb/fat/protein ratios to 50% / 30% / 20% per day. Keep in mind this works for ME. Your body may need something different. You've made a good start by tracking your food. Now watch your macros to see what does and doesn't work. Don't expect big changes quickly; opt for small changes for lifetime of health. I've been on my weightloss journey for over six years and consider it successful (almost 50 lbs gone forever, 10-ish to go!) This is not a race, you are not competing with anyone else. Love the journey.
  • Jonas917
    Jonas917 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have not written this myself, I just made it more understandable :)

There are several reasons why you won't loose weight when you cut down on your calories.

1. Your body are getting less energy from food, and will automatically try to slow you down by saving the energy that you consume. To this the solution will be to exercise more. If you can, try to lift weights and build muscles. Biger muscles needs more energy, and will therfore burn more calories.

2. Slow or delayed metabolic process. (it's probably called something more fancy).
    This is a little complicated, but I will break it down to very short and simple version.
    Your body needs time to "react", so it may feel like nothing is happening in the first period of time.
    But it will kick inn sooner or later! :)

3. Your body stores water.
    (This is common among women). One theory is that when triglyceride leaves the fat celle, the glycerol will attract water that fills up the fat celle again.
    So you might not see or feel any difference, but sooner or later you body will dispose the water and you will see and feel the differense.
    This can either go slow or really fast.
    So may wake up some day and be 10 punds lighter :)

So keep up your work, and you WILL se results eventually!

I hope this motivates you to continue. Hang in there! :)
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody.

I checked my diary day by day and I was more often over my goal than I should be (29 days under and 20 days over). I'll work on this. also I put my daily goal from 1210 up to 1350 - we'll see if that helps.

I never eat breakfast - I know some people say it's the most important meal of the day, but I'm just nor hungry in the morning and even thinking of food makes me feel sick. I drink a cup of green tea and another 1liter tea (without sugar, etc.) during the morning. I always eat at 1p.m. (during workdays), drink 1liter water during the afternoon and than have dinner around 8 or 9p.m. I tried to eat little healthy stuff in between, but that makes me crazy. I get hunger attacks and shaky hands. So I stoped eating in between again. It's the same when I eat something in the morning, one or two hours later I get hunger attacks and shaking hands. I never eat sweet stuff for breakfast, don't like it. I only eat whole grain or spelt rolls. When I tried to have breakfast I ate for month a plain whole grain or spelt roll in the morning (around 11a.m), but nothing changed, beside the hunger attacks later. So I stoped it and decided that I'm just not a breakfast person, I never was (even as child I didn't like to eat breakfast) and probably I never will or should be.

And nope - I won't give up vegetarism. I feel good with it. I just have to have an eye on the stuff my boyfriend cooks, because he loves to use a lot of ghee when he cooks indian food. No problem for him (he's really skinny), but not so good for me.

To changing my doctor: I'm not overweight, I'm just not there where I want to be. So probably that's why she didn't take my problem with not losing weight not that serious.

Let's see what will happen in the next two month.

Many thanks!
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I changed ma daily calorie goal now up to 1500 and since that day I started continuously losing weight. When eat 1200 a day my weight went up and down everyday since I eat more calories it went down everyday a bit more. That's fantastic.

Thanks to Sharon who helped me to find my perfect daily calorie goal and everybody else. I'm happy now and hope it will go on like this.

Best
    Miiimii
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, the problem with eating too little (at 1200 calories a day) is that your body is in a state of starvation, where it will do everything in its power to maintain body fat as there is a 'limited supply of food'.

Increase healthy fats, increase carbohydrates and have a little bit of proteins (macros of about 20% protein, 60% carbohydrates and 10% fats is a standard macro). Just remember, eating too little stalls the metabolism and your body is catabolic instead of burning fat it will sacrifice muscle.