Lazy Mama to Tough Mudder!!!

Options
LastMinuteMama
LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
So, about a year ago, I got a little more serious about taking care of myself. Most of my life I had been in pretty decent shape. I played sports in High School and College. I took up martial arts post-gradutation, but somehow the whole happily-ever-after with kids included turned me into a Lazy Mama.

Weekends with too many drinks and too little regard for portion control led to a muffin top and screaming seams on all of my jeans!!!

I reigned in my eating habits and started Boot Camp classes, hitting the gym, running and Zumba. A year ago, running a few miles would have made me cringe. One pull up was impossible. However, last weekend, I became a Tough Mudder!!! I did not skip one obstacle, in fact, I completed an obstacle that most skip or fail at. I made The Funky Monkey the focus of my training I did it!!!. The event staff tried to discourage me and my fellow female teamates...claiming there had been a few broken ankles already. I'm not gonna lie, I almost bailed, but I didn't.

Don't ever let anyone in your head and tell you that you can't do something that you know damn well you can do!!!

monkeybars5-5.jpg

If you're bored and would like to read my play by play of the Vermount Tough Mudder, here's my blog.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastMinuteMama

Replies

• kasearle15
    kasearle15 Posts: 3
    Options
    That is such a GREAT picture!
  • joseejolie
    joseejolie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment! Huge! Keep it up!
  • leelaknight
    leelaknight Posts: 37
    Options
    i LOOOOOOVE this yeah congrats!!!!!! you look strong!!!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I read your story..... amazing!! :happy:
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Great action shot well done you should be very proud of yourself xxx
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You're amazing and that's one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen! Thank you for the inspiration!
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OUTSTANDING! My hat is off to you Mam! :drinker:

I discovered the Tough Mudder series this March while trying to get back into shape. It got me thinking "That is just what I need!"

So I signed up to take on the Tampa Tough Mudder in December, and that is my training motivation at the moment. Those courses are no joke!

If you got through the course, and the Funky Monkey in particular, then you definitely kicked butt! Way to go!
  • KimGasbarro
    KimGasbarro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring. I don't generally post on the message boards but when I say the word Tough Mudder, I had too!

I was not just a lazy mama but an obese one at that. However I made a vow to myself to get myself healthy and fit. Starting February 2012 I joined a support group, changed my lifestyle and am getting it.... I have been giving myself little projects along the way.

End of February I did a 5K. Did not run the whole thing but gave myself a point to improve from. I will do a 5K the middle of this month. Wont be able to run the whole thing either because it is on sand but I will just try to beat my first 5K time even with the difference in terrain.

Start boot camp the end of May....

I completed the Dirty Girl Mud run....The "Legally Blonde" version of any other mud race. But I had so much fun I am looking to set more goals of this type in my future. So I registered for the Warrior Dash in October and I am pre-registered for the Tough Mudder in 2013. And will look for others along the way to build up to the Tough Mudder.

Thanks for being an inspiration. I am trying to get others to join me. And it seems a little weird since I am no where near the shape or size I need to be to accomplish some of these events at this time.

I may not be ready YET.....But I will be.
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!! Way to go.
    I'm doing my first Mud run in June and I'm so excited! Nothing like the Tough Mudder but a start :)
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this!!! :bigsmile:
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    That is so inspiring. I don't generally post on the message boards but when I say the word Tough Mudder, I had too!

I was not just a lazy mama but an obese one at that. However I made a vow to myself to get myself healthy and fit. Starting February 2012 I joined a support group, changed my lifestyle and am getting it.... I have been giving myself little projects along the way.

End of February I did a 5K. Did not run the whole thing but gave myself a point to improve from. I will do a 5K the middle of this month. Wont be able to run the whole thing either because it is on sand but I will just try to beat my first 5K time even with the difference in terrain.

Start boot camp the end of May....

I completed the Dirty Girl Mud run....The "Legally Blonde" version of any other mud race. But I had so much fun I am looking to set more goals of this type in my future. So I registered for the Warrior Dash in October and I am pre-registered for the Tough Mudder in 2013. And will look for others along the way to build up to the Tough Mudder.

Thanks for being an inspiration. I am trying to get others to join me. And it seems a little weird since I am no where near the shape or size I need to be to accomplish some of these events at this time.

I may not be ready YET.....But I will be.

I may not be ready YET.....But I will be. <
    This is all you need, the right attitude. You can do it!!!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ahhh, you were at the tough mudder with team crosspain which i was not a part of but am thinking that after witnessing the team's success and commitment and adoration for each other, that's something i want to be a part of.

FABULOUS WORK! you look beautiful, tough and congratulations on completing that challenge!! you can do ANYTHING :)

ETA: WHY woudl the event staff try to discourage you?! :(
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    I read your story..... amazing!! :happy:

Thank you for reading!!! I know it was a bit long winded, so it means a lot that you took the time!
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    AGirlandHerFrenchie Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That is sooo awesome. Congratulations - what an accomplishment. I am so glad you didn't let them get into your head and proved them wrong. Very inspiring. I'll be competing in my first Tough Mudder in August in Toronto. I've upped my training and am hoping to be able to rock it like you do. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love that picture! Your whole upper body looks awesome. Way to go, you, for proving those doubters wrong. Love it!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Way to go Mud mama! I just completed the Rugged Maniac and while it isn't quite as tough as the Tough Mudder I was proud! I like how you focused on that one obstacle to train. I want to do more mud runs and I know I need to work on my upper body more. But I made it through all but one obstacle and thats more than I even thought I could do.
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    super woman much! very impressive
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've actually been talking about training for that but no one seems to want to do it with me which is ok I can do it alone but where do I start.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!