PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    And it's only one inch. Just one. Relax.

I say this allll the time.

LOL!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Oh! I remember this thread. I got in trouble for making fun of it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Oh! I remember this thread. I got in trouble for making fun of it.

It was a good thread lol. I may or may not have got a strike in this one as well =p.
  • shanswan
    shanswan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone else says squats and lunges make a pear bigger. I am pear shaped and have fought my hips and butt for over 12 years nothing works but high cardio like tae bo or stair climbing. We have the hardest body shape to try and do something with because we have such high estrogen. I will never ever do squats or lunges again.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone else says squats and lunges make a pear bigger. I am pear shaped and have fought my hips and butt for over 12 years nothing works but high cardio like tae bo or stair climbing. We have the hardest body shape to try and do something with because we have such high estrogen. I will never ever do squats or lunges again.

Oddly enough, more than one incredibly experienced personal trainer, who deals with all kinds of 'pear shapes' among other body types...disagrees with you.

Have you considered that maybe it's you that isn't going about it properly? Here's a picture from a definitely pear shaped woman posted earlier in the thread:

DSC01915-2.jpg

The change came after months of heavy lifting involving squats, deadlifts, etc.

Things that make you go hmmm...
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oh and body somatypes are pseudoscientific nonsense people use as an excuse imo

If by somatypes you mean somatotypes, yes, people can use them as an excuse, but different bone structure is not nonsense, it's a proven fact (i.e., wide hips, slim shoulders, prominent rib cage, etc.)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

But why have you fought them? If we could just embrace that pear shape is normal and sexy wouldn't we be happier? It's healthy for a woman to carry a certain level of body fat. Why is it "bad" that we happen to carry it in our thighs and hips? If you don't like the level of body fat you are carrying, reduce it, but you can't pick where it comes from. Understand that you might always have thicker thighs and accept it. Make them stronger and more awesome. Strong, muscular thighs with a little bit of fat are good. Who cares about the actual measurement of your thighs if they look good and can move heavy things, make you better at any sports you participate in, make you live longer, prevent injury later in life, etc? Is vanity and size of your pants really that important?

And yeah, I've never heard that "pear shapes" have higher estrogen. I'm most definitely pear shaped (35" bust, 29" waist, 41" hips, 24" thighs) and I'm pretty sure I have slightly above average testosterone for a women.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

Water.

It happens when you start incorporating a weight resistance training program. It will pass. Relax.

THIS THIS THIS. Chill the f*** out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The only way squats and lunges make a pear bigger is if you are gaining muscle mass faster than you are losing fat. The only way to gain muscle mass, apart from 'newb gains' which, unless you are significantly overweight, is only a few pounds spread over your entire body, is to eat at a surplus (and do a progressive strength training routine and get enough protein).

Never heard of the high estrogen = pear shape - where is that from? I have a 'pear shape' - always have. Squats and lunges have worked nicely for me...well, that and losing the body fat of course. Estrogen =/= muscle growth, testosterone does.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mkuaraDe6p1snnoc4o1_500.gif
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with this. When I first got started, my jeans were really tight around my thighs once I got doing a lot of squats & lunges, and I thought that I was getting bigger instead of smaller. But now that I'm losing weight and getting a little more trim, the muscle is still there, but my jeans are actually loose around my thighs now.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

The only way squats and lunges make a pear bigger is if you are gaining muscle mass faster than you are losing fat. The only way to gain muscle mass, apart from 'newb gains' which, unless you are significantly overweight, is only a few pounds spread over your entire body, is to eat at a surplus (and do a progressive strength training routine and get enough protein).

Never heard of the high estrogen = pear shape - where is that from? I have a 'pear shape' - always have. Squats and lunges have worked nicely for me...well, that and losing the body fat of course. Estrogen =/= muscle growth, testosterone does.

Whatever your shape...it's a winner!
    tumblr_mhd0hqiyru1rpogano1_500.gif
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    All my weight is on my hips and thighs. I've been doing squats and lunges for about 10 days now. My thighs are actually starting to look damn sexy.

Maybe it's based on the individual, and not their fruit shape.

ITA ! I have stared the squat challenge and been doing more lunges ( jump lunges which for some reason I really enjoy & prefer over normal ones) amongst other things.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    1. muscular legs on a female are hot
    2. work your lats also, this will give you a more broad upper body to even out with your legs, while your waist will remain small, giving you an hourglass figure

BINGO!:bigsmile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    An inch? AN INCH!!!

omg calorie deficits made me gain all kinds of inches.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this thread was ressurected twice!! take that jesus!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Does that mean he's a zombie now?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Well, we should all worship The Squat!