PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a killer badunkadunk and some nice lucious muscular smooth thighs This just sounds sexy too me you got the kardashian look without the implants congrats!

One more thing, in 40years your butt wont sagg it will still be more liftted and taunt.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

^^this. Also, it is fact that muscle takes up less VOLUME than fat, so given equal amounts, the muscle will be smaller. You grew muscle, but your bodyfat hasn't changed much, so yes = bigger. But muscle burns more calories than fat, so I'd still stick with building muscle and working towards lowering fat. 6 weeks does not slim, shapely thighs make. Months...years, but six weeks isn't a fair trial period.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats build bulky muscle. Muscle does burn fat, but if you're looking to be toned and lean instead of having bulkier muscle, I'd suggest trying pilates or a ballet class. The kind of muscle isolation and resistance that is used for those activites yeilds lean muscle. Sounds like maybe that's what you're after? Anyway, just a thought.

Did you just say that one kind of exercise creates "bulky muscle" and another type of exercise creates "lean muscle"? Really?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats build bulky muscle. Muscle does burn fat, but if you're looking to be toned and lean instead of having bulkier muscle, I'd suggest trying pilates or a ballet class. The kind of muscle isolation and resistance that is used for those activites yeilds lean muscle. Sounds like maybe that's what you're after? Anyway, just a thought.

no

just no
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

<
    Yep. This girl here's bulking right on up. I know you see it, too. Amirite?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

no

just no

While pilates and ballet may be perfectly good classes, re the bulky muscles.......another no
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

<
    Yep. This girl here's bulking right on up. I know you see it, too. Amirite?

You are hyoooooge!

(j/k, just in case!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Somebody kill this old thread and put it out of its misery. She did not gain an inch of muscle in a month (or two). STOP. I am pear-shaped, naturally muscular, and I lift heavy (for 8 years). My thighs have become much slimmer over time. I am not bulky. It is HARD to gain muscle size and if you are not deliberately gearing your DIET (surplus) and exercise to specifically build muscle size it won't happen. It just doesn't work that way. The end.

Yep - not sure why it was necromanced.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I think threads should be nuked after three months of inactivity.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

This is completely false.

In other news, it could take months for your muscles to start looking smaller. When I started weight training my PEAR SHAPED lower body (in case you need my credentials), it took four freaking months for my body to calm down and actually get smaller.

That whole time, all of my clothes were ridiculously tight. I don't know how much I gained in water/glycogen retention, but it was very noticeable, and not just to me. That said, trust the process. Eventually, you will get smaller, too. One week, one month, whatever, is NOT enough to decide it doesn't work.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

no

just no

QFT

Also, thread necromancy is BAD!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

I approve this message.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Muscle isolation yields lean muscle?
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with strong muscled thighs? If you are still carrying bodyfat, then overtime, as you reduce that, it should come off your thighs too. Nothing wrong with shaply legs though.

No kidding. I'd kill for a lower body like that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I approve this message.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Given the robustness of the forum search function here, they might as well nuke them. It isn't like anyone can *intentionally* find an old thread using the search.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    BTW, since incorporating squats, lunges/side lunges.. I gained 2 inches off my thighs and my thighs were at 21" to begin with.. I have a 24" waist with 37" hips... now my thighs are at 23"

some of u must not know how it feels.

Just curious... has your waist measurement changed at all?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    *edit: Just realized this thread is hella old! lol >_<
    It's still pertinent though. The ladies need to know that the way to avoid getting all manly muscly is by sticking to Tae Bo. Billy works me out good, and I don't get all bulky.

Bean, is that you?!?!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

This is completely false.

In other news, it could take months for your muscles to start looking smaller. When I started weight training my PEAR SHAPED lower body (in case you need my credentials), it took four freaking months for my body to calm down and actually get smaller.

That whole time, all of my clothes were ridiculously tight. I don't know how much I gained in water/glycogen retention, but it was very noticeable, and not just to me. That said, trust the process. Eventually, you will get smaller, too. One week, one month, whatever, is NOT enough to decide it doesn't work.

THIS.

I did heavy lifting 3x a week and cardio 3x a week for THREE MONTHS. My shirt was tight across the shoulders, but loose in the waist. My jeans were tight across the bum and thighs, but loose in my waist. My legs got thicker, but they jiggled less, and my cellulite disappeared. Then I started running and they got smaller :)
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for your body composition to change.