PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Don't blame me. I have consistently said that a pear-shaped woman who was concerned about getting bigger should watch the weight training she does on her lower half. I've also said that this was most important for women who were exercising primarily for current, conventional aesthetics (admittedly, aesthetic values change over time).

There are sports that would require very strong legs from weight lifting. In addition, some women like the look of heavier legs and a bigger butt.

I've always said that the issue for some women was not of getting "bulky," which is hard for most women to do in the absence of steroids and incredible discipline, but of getting even a bit bigger, because a woman who is already bottom heavy will not necessarily be happy going up a size in her jeans. She doesn't want to add so much as 1/8 of an inch.

If your arms get bigger from lifting weights, why wouldn't other parts of your body? If you build up a part of your body on which you are predisposed to put on a disproportionate amount of weight, why wouldn't the effect be to make you look bigger?

I suggest you Google a website for a paid program called "Visual Impact for Women." At least the trainer understands what some women are concerned about.

Please note that throughout I have not said that all women have this concern. But some do.

Many years ago, I encountered the same ideas. But when I started working out I realized that no matter what the websites said I was in fact getting bigger and I did not want to end up looking even more pear shaped.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

I would kill for your shape, soooo I got nothing
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I found this article to be really helpful.

http://blog.barmethod.com/ExerciseBlogBarMethodcom/bid/26360/FITNESS-TIPS-WHY-YOU-MIGHT-BULK-UP-BEFORE-YOU-SLIM-DOWN

It talks about why it will seem like you are bulking when you begin a strength regimen, and how that is incorrect. I'm a pear as well, and originally gained about an inch in each this when I started a strength routine. Since then, (sticking with strength) I have lost 4.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I say keep going with higher reps/lighter weight. and keep up the cardio...drop your body fat percentage.

by the way...you look Great !! wow
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm not pear shaped, I'm apple shaped (unhealthier shape than you, so it's worse, trust me).

My thighs have gotten *tighter* since I started working out. I lost an inch at the beginning but they've stayed the same since, but are far less jiggly. Are yours less jiggly?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You should do tae-bo. I heard you don't huge muscles that way :flowerforyou:
    Lol, you heard that from the A to the Z!:laugh: :laugh:

Getting ugly man legs is not a laughing matter :(

/sarcasm
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ Yep, THIS. When I was training for a 1/2 marathon, I was doing squats / lunges in circuit training class 2x / week and running 3x a week -- my pants were getting really tight in my thighs for the 2 months I was going hard at both things. If you're doing squats / lunges combined w/running, and if you're pushing yourself pretty hard, you could have water retention for repair going on all the time.

I finished my 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago, and am not running as much right now. My jeans are already less tight in the thighs, b/c I'm not in that hardcore push / repair phase right now.

You gotta remember that some things are your body just doing what it is supposed to do, and be patient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I have thighs & an *kitten*. I lifted weights for about 3 months before taking a 2 week hiatus. My thigh circumference slightly decreased during that time. By like .25 inch. My *kitten* rounded out more, thighs tightened up and I lost fat.

You seem to not like your legs. You can't change the fact you carry your weight in your legs. You will have to learn to live with it and like it. Remind yourself that some people don't have legs. Also remind yourself that you're attractive. Many people would trade places with you.

Have patience while you grow the f*** up and mature and learn to like your body. And no one cares that you are a PEAR. Get over it.
    I love you.................just don't tell your husband.........................or my wife. Better yet, I know this great strip club.............

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    <-- lost 3" off EACH of my thighs by maintaining a calorie deficit and lifting.

You have to continue to lose fat. Any increases in size are due to water retention not significant new muscle mass.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    oh cmon, is there anyone who seriously has had success in that area without trying to say "relax, just an inch" how about you relax and actually say something HELPFUL?

The most helpful thing I can come up with is to say that losing fat and gaining strength are important--how one looks isn't. I'm a banana with huge breasts that do not get smaller as I do. I don't like it, but I'm too old to lose sleep over things I can't change.
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Uggghhh. I have been squatting for 4 months and am up to 225lb squats and I have not gained 1mm of size on my legs - and I am a male. I am dumping protein and food down my gullet hoping to gain some muscle... Nothing. Then OP strolls in here after lifting for a month and a half and she gains an inch of bulk.... By accident!!!

225 lbs squats for a guy won't do much for muscle gains. How many reps are you doing? Try upping the weight...

Hahaha.. Yeah gimme some time - I am 43 and it takes a little longer for us old guys to grow. Not to mention I am a little hard-gainer with a history of bad back (edit: who hasnt lifted in 20 years). I am doing 225x5x5. When I was 20 I did 315x5x3 which was just over 2x my weight back then. My goal is clearly in sight now... I will need to hit 340 to get 2x my weight now. I can do IT!!!
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    [ Muscle burns fat, some of the largest muscles that we have are in our thighs - to not capitalize on those muscles to help us reduce overall body fat would be absurd. Build muscle to reduce your body fat and you will start to get lean everywhere. Where the body fat comes from - you can't decide. But if you're dedicated, work hard and remain patient - you'll see results.

This is the way I look at it too. The muscles in your legs and glutes are the largest muscles in your body. When you work them you are building stronger muscles that burn more energy. You may see size increases right off the bat- a large part of that is fluid retention. The muscle holds water as it repairs itself. My pants are always a little tighter after working my legs. BUT, as you lose bodyfat they will slim down, the muscle will be revealed and they will look gorgeous. It does take time though.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    There is simply not enough information in the OP to draw any solid conclusions over the adaptations her diet and training routine has triggered.

Is it muscle? Is it water? Is it measurement error (the most likely culprit) Is it subjective perception? How many measurements were taken? Over what time frame? What was her diet like? Was she in a consistent deficit? Is she carrying any injuries?

And so on.

Do you need to do squats, lunges or any form of traditional weight training to get a strong, healthy, slim physique? No. That is absurd. I know plenty of cyclists and rowers who do none of those exercises and have exactly that.

However, for an average beginner with limited time to train the most efficient routine with the most benefits overall would be good diet + resistance training + consistency + time with cardio being added in or taken away as necessary.

Oh, and on the osteoarthritis / bone density point - weight bearing exercise tend to be be good, which includes things like running as you are exercising whilst supporting your own body weight.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    oh cmon, is there anyone who seriously has had success in that area without trying to say "relax, just an inch" how about you relax and actually say something HELPFUL?

me. i'm definitely in this to slim down. i had some initial gain at first which i'm sure was just swelling. i normally eat at 600-700 calories below my maintenance and lift as heavy as i can. i'm very close to squatting my body weight (at 170 now) and my thighs are getting slimmer. the only place that's getting bigger (actually rounder) is my butt, but i'm ok with that since it's looking way shaplier

also i'm not a pear, but i am an obese hourglass so i know about lower body struggles
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've gained an inch from doing squats/lunges as well, but my thighs are way firmer and more shapely than they were beforehand, so they look wayyyyy better.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing them? it might be stored water for repair

I doubt this.

I've been doing squats & lunges for about over a month and a half... along with running on the treadmill. I do not eat anything "processed" either.. I eat healthy and cut out bread, pasta, junk food, sweets, all the bad stuff.

You think you gained an inch in a month and it's all muscle on a calorie deficit?

Most likely like people said it's excess water and glycogen stores as well as a bit of that placebo mind control going on. Remember as you lose weight all the fat stores will shrink and you'll be left toned. That is why I said unless you have low bodyfat growing is not going to be an issue in the end!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Uggghhh. I have been squatting for 4 months and am up to 225lb squats and I have not gained 1mm of size on my legs - and I am a male. I am dumping protein and food down my gullet hoping to gain some muscle... Nothing. Then OP strolls in here after lifting for a month and a half and she gains an inch of bulk.... By accident!!!

225 lbs squats for a guy won't do much for muscle gains. How many reps are you doing? Try upping the weight...

Working sets are based on whether you're a guy or a girl. They're based on how much you can lift in the proper rep range with proper form. My friend who just started a few weeks ago is only squatting in the 100's, but making great progress increase the weight consistently every week.

Besides, what if he's 5'2", and weighs 135 lbs? 5 reps at 225 would put him somewhere between the intermediate and advanced levels.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. I worked with a trainer for awhile years ago. He had me doing tons of lunges and squats along with my other strength training and cardio. OMG - my butt and legs burn just thinking about it. I went down 5 sizes and looked better than I've looked in my entire life (I grew up struggling with my weight). I looked hot. Here I am a decade later - various things brought the weight and then some back on. This thread has reminded me of the importance of squats and lunges. They are two of the best all around strength building, MILF body creating exercises that I could possibly do. Thank you for the reminder of why they're such awesome exercises.

And if you decide to stick it out instead of throw in the towel because you're a pear (?) you will find that out!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Working sets are based on whether you're a guy or a girl. They're based on how much you can lift in the proper rep range with proper form. My friend who just started a few weeks ago is only squatting in the 100's, but making great progress increase the weight consistently every week.

Besides, what if he's 5'2", and weighs 135 lbs? 5 reps at 225 would put him somewhere between the intermediate and advanced levels.

errr, that should have said "Working sets are not based on...". too late to edit now. :blushing: