PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Can someone better at this than me make my pictures not so HUGE? Thanks!
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Who are all these ppl saying stick to cardio (WITHOUT IRONY)???? lolz.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And it's only one inch. Just one. Relax.

I say this allll the time.

I love you more and more every day.
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Uggghhh. I have been squatting for 4 months and am up to 225lb squats and I have not gained 1mm of size on my legs - and I am a male. I am dumping protein and food down my gullet hoping to gain some muscle... Nothing. Then OP strolls in here after lifting for a month and a half and she gains an inch of bulk.... By accident!!!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i'm a pear... & my thighs are ginormous!! but i still do squats & lunges b/c i figure if they're gonna be big, they may as well be toned :wink: good luck to you
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

So- guess what - I have been doing lunges and running for about six weeks now. I have gained some measurement there too, but it is temporary. I have been here before. I will keep on and will lose the inches and have wonderful looking legs in the long run. I have been doing curls for about 6 weeks too - guess what ? Arm measurements are up too. They will go down. Sometimes there is a not so pretty time while working towards your goal. It doesn't mean things aren't working.

So kind of like when I clean, I pull everything off the shelves to wipe them down. Essentially making more of a mess before I can get it spotless? Sorry for the metaphor... it's how my brain likes to assess things.

I think this makes sense. I would try sticking with it longer. I know it sucks because we all want to see results right away, but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you've been working at this,
    But what's probably happening is you're gaining more muscle than you're losing fat.
    Practically impossible to do on a calorie deficit and such a short time.
    I'd suggest cutting back a little on the lunges and squats, do some extra cardio to burn fat,
    And make sure your diet is really good.

Also, in the long run that extra muscle will help you burn fat.

Hope this helps!
    Cardio burns CALORIES. You can't pick a cardio workout and have it automatically burn fat. Glycogen is the first to burn regardless if it's lifting or cardio.
    But nutrition and diet are important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think all women should have strong thighs and child-rearing hips, but that's me. Did you measure the day after going to the gym? If so, wait a couple days after resting and check it again. They call that 'the pump'. It goes away.

You are my hero! I have both and I love them. I'm still working on getting rid of the extra fat that is covering my nice muscles. It is a process.

I would agree with the people that say keep it up. I am pear shaped and I am actually thinking of adding lunges and squats to my routine. I just have to modify them for my knees, first.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

So- guess what - I have been doing lunges and running for about six weeks now. I have gained some measurement there too, but it is temporary. I have been here before. I will keep on and will lose the inches and have wonderful looking legs in the long run. I have been doing curls for about 6 weeks too - guess what ? Arm measurements are up too. They will go down. Sometimes there is a not so pretty time while working towards your goal. It doesn't mean things aren't working.

So kind of like when I clean, I pull everything off the shelves to wipe them down. Essentially making more of a mess before I can get it spotless? Sorry for the metaphor... it's how my brain likes to assess things.

I think this makes sense. I would try sticking with it longer. I know it sucks because we all want to see results right away, but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way :grumble:

I like that metaphor!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

IDEA Fitness member

THIS.

I'm a pear-shape. Over the course of a year, I lost 10 inches off my thighs. It happened when I finally lost over 40lbs in weight, as it's the last area I lose fat.

Your thighs will slim down if you keep up the exercises (including squats and lunges). It really is about bodyfat% and when you get your % down. Then, suddenly, you'll be amazed at the beautiful legs that have been "hiding" all this time.

I do mostly strength training and a little cardio. My lower body routine includes three types of squats and 2 types of lunges.

Keep at it. It works.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have lost 7.25 inches in my thighs and butt area in less than a month with spinning three times a week and Eliptical two to three times a week. My legs are slimming real fast with the cardio.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped but if I gained an inch of muscle and lost some of that fat padding, I'd be thrilled!:wink:
  • lmandarae
    lmandarae Posts: 5
    Options
    On an episode of Dr. Oz he split the audience between problem areas ... Problem Hips/Bottoms and Problem Bellies
    He said - Bottoms and hips are harder to burn off than bellies. Although - It can be done through lots of consistant work!

Just keep at what works for you. Everyone has their theories and so on. Do what you can live with to get where you want. I love to walk fast 4 miles daily and do Zumba. I have gone down two pant sizes in 31/2 months. But that works for me. :) I get bored with the same routines.

**** In the end - weight loss is about getting healthy inside too, not only the outside ****
    Be happy that you have curves! Some girls would love to have curves w/o padding it up! :) Good Luck!
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

IDEA Fitness member

I totally agree with this. I have a big problem in that area as well. After months of body pump, I'm finally seeing some real nice tone and definition in my thighs. It has been my experience that when I start working my legs that they get a little bigger at first and then they all of a sudden start to trim down. - I suggest you give it a few months.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I am not pear shaped but I used to have wide thighs (I think they were around 24 or 25 2 years ago).
    I did P90X and loss weight. My thighs went down to about 21 inches. I finished another round in March of this year and thighs went down to about 20.5 inches. Not much but good enough for a 90 day program. I also lost more weight and bf % went down to around 19%.
    I am currently doing another program called Brazil Butt Lift. It has tons of lunges and squats. They are just the regular, without weight, squats and lunges. In 30 days, I lost about 1/2 inch on each thigh (lost inches in other areas too) and loss maybe a pound (not looking to lose weight). It has given my tights and legs pretty good muscular tone and definition.

Like everyone said, you need to lower your bf%. You also need to give it time, make sure you are eating right and make sure you measure at the same spot every single time.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You should do tae-bo. I heard you don't huge muscles that way :flowerforyou:
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been doing lunges and running for a long time and YES the thighs are bigger. I like the way the look when they are slim but they will get bigger just like biceps or triceps when you work with weights. This is just a the way the muscles are. If you don't want your thighs to get bigger cut down on lunges and try palates or yoga, those stretch the muscles and make them look leaner.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    holy hell, i wish i could GAIN *kitten* and thighs... looks like i'll be doing some squats and lunges in the near future. like tonight. :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges bulk up your legs... ;/ try pilates instead, and running - a looot of running! :)
    Subjective. Based on your avatar, your legs could use a little "bulking up".

IDEA Fitness member