PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And it's only one inch. Just one. Relax.

I say this allll the time.
  • mdmchoco
    mdmchoco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you seen my profile pic?

I am a pear too and carry my weight in my hips and thighs. I would love some good exercises for slimming that area too. My waist has always been proportionally much smaller which makes it hard to buy jeans/trousers.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Have you seen my profile pic?

I am a pear too and carry my weight in my hips and thighs. I would love some good exercises for slimming that area too. My waist has always been proportionally much smaller which makes it hard to buy jeans/trousers.

You're one sexy pear.
  • _AylaMarie
    _AylaMarie Posts: 2
    Options
    oh cmon, is there anyone who seriously has had success in that area without trying to say "relax, just an inch" how about you relax and actually say something HELPFUL?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You should sell your recipe to bodybuilders everywhere, you would be millionaire.

It is temporary
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with strong muscled thighs? If you are still carrying bodyfat, then overtime, as you reduce that, it should come off your thighs too. Nothing wrong with shaply legs though.

THIS ^^

I've been lifting weights and my arms have grown, I'm not sweating it, I know it's a positive.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Im not a pear....honestly Im not sure how youd describe my shape but ive gained an inch in both my thighs and its muscle and its sexy and im damn proud of my legs so my question is exactly what are you complaining about.....you don't like muscle???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I don't think you guys are helping the situation here..

for gods sake, it CAN happen!

<~~ Pear shaped here too, been on this weight loss journey since February to lose 15 lbs and squats & lunges have definitely NOT helped with trying to lose inches/fat off my thighs.. I KNOW YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE but all i'm saying is that it definitely made them bigger for me too!

and with trying to lose fat, I also incorporate running.. and hiit on the elliptical and started lifting weights with eating healthy. still no progress in that area.
    EVERY area of the body when trained will expand a little. Some areas more than others. Let me say that I have trained many a pear shaped female and it took a good 6 months of CONSISTENT hard training (with squats, lunges, leg curls, stiff legged dead lifts, etc.) for them so start realizing that their legs were starting to respond and reducing in size. Patience and discipline is what it takes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    oh cmon, is there anyone who seriously has had success in that area without trying to say "relax, just an inch" how about you relax and actually say something HELPFUL?

There IS nothing to fix it. It can be water retention for a decent amount of time. But go ahead. Quit. But don't keep telling people you're doing it for your health because as far as exercise goes, weight training has one of the highest effects on reducing rates of osteoperosis.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Keep squatting. Eat at a deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    And it's only one inch. Just one. Relax.

I say this allll the time.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Im not a pear....honestly Im not sure how youd describe my shape but ive gained an inch in both my thighs and its muscle and its sexy and im damn proud of my legs so my question is exactly what are you complaining about.....you don't like muscle???

I'll just say I love this and that a woman with muscular legs is hot. Keep working and the fat will come off. Dedication, hard work, and endurance!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

PS: More muscle means a higher metabolism, means you can enjoy eating more. There are some great advantages to having more muscle besides the obvious fact that it's hot.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I'll just say I love this and that a woman with muscular legs is hot. Keep working and the fat will come off. Dedication, hard work, and endurance!

:heart: :smooched:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I squat 130lbs. No, my thighs haven't gotten much smaller but the over all appearance has greatly improved (and they haven't gotten bigger either).

DSC01915-2.jpg
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I believe you. Several months ago I would do them 4-5 times a week and my butt only got bigger (not wider but more perky but it already was VERY perky). I've now shortened them to only doing weighted ones twice a week and it has helped out tremendously. Inches are definitely going down.

I suggest doing less (perhaps half?) of the amount that you were doing before and see if that helps.

Good luck hun!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think you guys are helping the situation here..

for gods sake, it CAN happen!

<~~ Pear shaped here too, been on this weight loss journey since February to lose 15 lbs and squats & lunges have definitely NOT helped with trying to lose inches/fat off my thighs.. I KNOW YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE but all i'm saying is that it definitely made them bigger for me too!

and with trying to lose fat, I also incorporate running.. and hiit on the elliptical and started lifting weights with eating healthy. still no progress in that area.

So- guess what - I have been doing lunges and running for about six weeks now. I have gained some measurement there too, but it is temporary. I have been here before. I will keep on and will lose the inches and have wonderful looking legs in the long run. I have been doing curls for about 6 weeks too - guess what ? Arm measurements are up too. They will go down. Sometimes there is a not so pretty time while working towards your goal. It doesn't mean things aren't working.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    same here. i quit doing them unless i feel like doing them for the hell of it. i have enough muscle on my legs.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I may be the only pear shape that actually wants strong looking thighs over skinny fat thighs!! I think you shoud be proud, you are building muscle...the same muscle that will burn the fat off your thighs....give it time, they may get bigger first and then once the fat starts burning off they will get smaller :) If not the only thing I can think of is to stop the squats and lunges and focus on oyur upper body! :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Hey miss lovely lifter, NOT EVERYONE has the same interests as you. Some want to be really thin. So put a cap on it.

Whoa whoa whoa! Don't take your frustrations with your thighs out on her!