PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    AWEsome! I think I will start to incorporate squats and lunged INTO my routine... I have no butt and want one desperately! Hey, we all have our issues, right? YOU have a fantastic figure :)

Hey!

You already HAD squats and lunges in your program!

Yes. And thank you, it is an excellent program - I am just being a jack as$ - sorry... sometimes I just can't help it :wink:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Im not a pear....honestly Im not sure how youd describe my shape but ive gained an inch in both my thighs and its muscle and its sexy and im damn proud of my legs so my question is exactly what are you complaining about.....you don't like muscle???

Hey miss lovely lifter, NOT EVERYONE has the same interests as you. Some want to be really thin. So put a cap on it.

New meat is feisty...

Fine. Stop lifting. Try eating as little as possible. Don't do this for your health, do this for a number on the scale. You'll look awful most likely and you'll have no energy, but hey you won't have to freak out about temporarily gaining 1 inch.

OR keep lifting and start appreciating your body. You decide.

I love that my FL is full of smart awesome guys like this. And awesome lovely women like LovelyLifter.

I love women who are strong and men who respect women who are strong. Women are strong in several kinds of ways, but it seems to me that physical strength is a great litmus test: folks who don't like strength tend to not like strength.

And that's fine, don't be strong. Your choice. Be skinny and weak but able to run I guess. But really its just water and if you keep it up it'll look great, but that's not what you want so eat an extreme deficit. Meanwhile, I love my friends list and my C-shaped *kitten*.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges bulk up your legs... ;/ try pilates instead, and running - a looot of running! :)
    Subjective. Based on your avatar, your legs could use a little "bulking up".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good Lord.....I whole heartedly agree! Scary!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    AWEsome! I think I will start to incorporate squats and lunged INTO my routine... I have no butt and want one desperately! Hey, we all have our issues, right? YOU have a fantastic figure :)

Hey!

You already HAD squats and lunges in your program!

Yes. And thank you, it is an excellent program - I am just being a jack as$ - sorry... sometimes I just can't help it :wink:

It's ok...you've got about 200,000 other qualities that make up for it, lol.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh mys gosh, I'm a total pear shape too and I SO feel where you're coming from. I just started doing lunges and I'm kinda afraid my butt's gonna get bigger! My butt and thighs are already huge, I certainly don't want them any bigger.

I know a lot of people like the thick, muscled, curvy bum and thighs, but I DON'T want it. It's looks great on other girls, but I personally want to look more androgynous, I don't want to look ultra feminine. I don't want "child bearing hips". Not every girl is the same or cares about what dudes think of their *kitten*. I really couldn't care less.

*edit: Just realized this thread is hella old! lol >_<
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight in my belly and thighs, don't stop the lunges and squats just add in some exercises that will also help lengthen the muscles as well...i like pilates and there are some really good ones on oxygen. i had the same problem until i added these in :)
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's still pertinent though. The ladies need to know that the way to avoid getting all manly muscly is by sticking to Tae Bo. Billy works me out good, and I don't get all bulky.
  • lilly_star
    Options
    another option is to do jump squats, jump lunges, box jumps etc. These plyometric exercises work the muscle but also are cardio based. I'm a pear shape and these work for me.
  • larrytsuei
    Options
    Uhm, judging by your picture, I don't think being pear shaped is a bad thing. I mean wow those hips are pretty.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been doing squats & lunges for about over a month and a half... along with running on the treadmill. I do not eat anything "processed" either.. I eat healthy and cut out bread, pasta, junk food, sweets, all the bad stuff.

A month and a half isn't a very long amount of time as far as weight loss and muscle are concerned.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a muscular hourglass shape... that's my goal! I say enjoy it!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I think I may need numerous photos of the areas in question from all the ladies posting in this thread before I can make a full evaluation of what's going on :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's still pertinent though. The ladies need to know that the way to avoid getting all manly muscly is by sticking to Tae Bo. Billy works me out good, and I don't get all bulky.

:laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit pear shaped (11 inch bigger booty than my waist, but my waist is very small). I like my booty. Doing weights helps my thighs and booty to stay youthful and fit the way I want to be. That's my experience. I like it. But, deadlifts are my favorite.
  • Meopausemom1951
    Meopausemom1951 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TRY SOME YOGA AND PILATES ISOMETRICS TYPE EXERCISE/STRETCHING HELP WITH INCHES
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Somebody kill this old thread and put it out of its misery. She did not gain an inch of muscle in a month (or two). STOP. I am pear-shaped, naturally muscular, and I lift heavy (for 8 years). My thighs have become much slimmer over time. I am not bulky. It is HARD to gain muscle size and if you are not deliberately gearing your DIET (surplus) and exercise to specifically build muscle size it won't happen. It just doesn't work that way. The end.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Muscle eats fat. NomNomNom. Be proud of the muscle you have earned.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing them? it might be stored water for repair

I doubt this.

I've been doing squats & lunges for about over a month and a half... along with running on the treadmill. I do not eat anything "processed" either.. I eat healthy and cut out bread, pasta, junk food, sweets, all the bad stuff.

You gained an inch of muscle in a month? Impressive.

And what does it matter if you don't eat anything processed you can still put on weight eating so called clean foods

Oh and body somatypes are pseudoscientific nonsense people use as an excuse imo

An inch of muscle in a month! Day-um! I wish I were you!
  • JDian007
    Options
    Lunges and squats build bulky muscle. Muscle does burn fat, but if you're looking to be toned and lean instead of having bulkier muscle, I'd suggest trying pilates or a ballet class. The kind of muscle isolation and resistance that is used for those activites yeilds lean muscle. Sounds like maybe that's what you're after? Anyway, just a thought.