How bad is it to dink Diet Coke??

Options
I'm on week 2 of my couch to 5K workouts and staying within my calorie intake. I LOVE diet coke but I have heard that it isn't good to drink carbonated drinks while trying to lose weight. I drink water as well but do have at least 1 maybe 2 diet cokes a day. Any adivse or comments?

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If you drink Diet Cole you will DIE. Might not be today, might not be tomorrow but sometime in the next 100 years you will die. And it's the eeeeeevil Diet Coke's fault.

In all seriousness you're fine. There are no studies showing that diet drinks cause weight gain. There are many, many people who have lost significant amounts of weight drinking diet soft drink. (myself included)
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    If you drink Diet Cole you will DIE. Might not be today, might not be tomorrow but sometime in the next 100 years you will die. And it's the eeeeeevil Diet Coke's fault.

In all seriousness you're fine. There are no studies showing that diet drinks cause weight gain. There are many, many people who have lost significant amounts of weight drinking diet soft drink. (myself included)

^This. there are pros and cons to each side of the arguement and you're going to find people firmly against diet products and firmly for diet products. I say to each their own, I sub in splenda and diet products where I can rather than eat the sugar because I break out like crazy when I do and I can't stand living without my coffee and occasional diet pop.
  • tcm118
    tcm118 Posts: 54
    Options
    The biggest concerns I know of for drinking diet sodas while trying to lose weight are that it can cause you to crave sweets (which you would know if you're eating them) and the carbonation can cause bloating. Other than that, some people have aspartame sensitivity but that's not a weight loss issue.

The diet sodas are my addiction. I drink them, though I try not to overdo it.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice and moderation. I allow myself a mini can of Diet Coke pretty much everyday.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    The carbonation pulls calcium from your body but as long as you're not deficient and still working your bones, there shouldn't be a problem.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda and didn't think I could ever stop drinking it but I did about a month ago. I feel much better now that I'm not drinking it. I have one once and awhile if the mood strikes but I always get a headache when I drink it. Also I think it does make me crave sugar so I've noticed now that I"m off soda I actually don't feel the need to down candy bars. I would say try to not drink it for a couple of weeks and see if you feel better. I'm not tired all the time now either. Good luck.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke(caffeine free) like it was water. In mass quantities and not in moderation. No problems with teeth, health, or anything else.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have my daily before dinner Diet Coke and I have lost almost 40 lbs! The great thing is that it is calorie free! The bad thing is that there's absolutely nothing good for you in it (ex: milk has calcium and vitamins, juice has vitamins, etc).
  • perfektfox
    perfektfox Posts: 8
    Options
    There are no studies showing that diet drinks cause weight gain.

Just wanted to point out that this is not in fact a true statement, as evidence by this study that shows a link between diet soda and weight gain:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm

Educate yourself and make your own decisions. I have never felt better in my life than since I eliminated chemicals like aspartame from my diet.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I probably have a diet coke every day as it staves off any hunger pangs and stops me from eating; I don't have any problems with it and it certainly doesn't make me crave other high sugar stuff. I think that everything in moderation is probably ok.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The results were adjusted for waist circumference, diabetes status, leisure-time physical activity level, neighborhood of residence, age and smoking status at the beginning of each interval, as well as sex, ethnicity and years of education.

So everything but what they ate. That study proves that people with who are fat drink diet soda. Not that diet soda makes you fat. Until they do a study that takes food consumption into account it means squat.
  • ReschkeCM
    ReschkeCM Posts: 3
    Options
    It mostly depends on the volume you are drinking. Just about anything is bad for you in high enough quantities. There's nothing wrong with Diet Coke per se, just drink a reasonable amount of it.

Chances are that if you are filling up a big jug of Diet Coke several times a day, you aren't truly enjoying it anyway; rather, you are just drinking it because you have a giant jug of it sitting next to you. Have a can or bottle of it from time to time, but remember the more you exercise moderation in your consumption the more you will actually enjoy drinking it.

I use the following rule of thumb: When I no longer think about the flavor of what I'm eating or drinking, I've had enough and it's time to stop.
  • ckushners
    ckushners Posts: 1
    Options
    My thought is; anything man creates and not what God has provided in a natural state is eventually going to wreak havoc on your system. Soda companies do not care about your health, but they do care about your money and their profits.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    My thought is; anything man creates and not what God has provided in a natural state is eventually going to wreak havoc on your system. Soda companies do not care about your health, but they do care about your money and their profits.

Yes, they do care about your health, because killing your customers isn't a good business strategy.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have continued drinking about 2 diet mt. dews per day (16.9-20 oz bottles) throughout my weightloss. It didn't stop me from losing 42 lbs. And for real, I have 2 small kids and sometimes I need the caffeine just to feel normal. I do also drink water, but I can't stand plain water so I flavor it with those little powdered flavoring packets (kind of like Crystal Light, but I use a different brand that sweetens with Stevia b/c I like the flavor better).
  • makdeniz
    makdeniz Posts: 28
    Options
    I used to be a Diet Coke junkie. Fortunately about 6 months ago I weened myself off it. I will have a can a week if I feel like it but more times than not I prefer to give it a miss.

Try to wean yourself of it if you can. x
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Soda companies don't claim that their product is good for your health, they claim that it's delicious.

And Man created the artificial heart, kidney dialysis, pasteurization, basic sanitation, indoor plumbing, and a bunch of other things that a lot of people find fairly nifty. ;-)
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    Put it this way, there's not a nutritionist on the planet that will recommend drinking diet soda. If something has a flavor but no calories it should be a giant RED FLAG. Ask yourslef, "what exactly am I drinking"?
  • SirBen81
    Options
    99.9% water
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Put it this way, there's not a nutritionist on the planet that will recommend drinking diet soda. If something has a flavor but no calories it should be a giant RED FLAG. Ask yourslef, "what exactly am I drinking"?

My diet mt. dew has 10 calories per bottle. So I'm good.