How bad is it to dink Diet Coke??

Options

Replies

• fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Totally off-topic, but I just noticed your screenname is freaking amazing. :-D
    Thanks! :)
  • Horseyrider
    Horseyrider Posts: 22
    Options
    I gave up all sodas, diet and otherwise, as well as those creepy sports drinks and buzz drinks several years ago. They have no real redeeming nutritional qualities, and the ingredients they do have are of questionable value.

After leaving them alone for a few months I happened to taste a real Coke. It tasted like cough syrup. And not long after that, I sipped my DH's diet pepsi. That was even worse; the chemical aftertaste was horrid. I can't believe I drank it for so many years.

I do like fizzy though; I'll have some Perrier or a good microbrewery beer. But no more soda pop. My body thanks me, and so does my budget. I enjoy coffee and tea, both of which contain lots of antioxidants, water, and raw milk. That's about it. No juices either; just whole foods.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is super bad! That's why I drink Diet Dr Pepper.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's the scoop. I'm going to clean this up for everyone. Apparently, diet soda tricks the pancreas into thinking it's not making enough sugar (hey, I'm just quoting a doctor from TV here!!!) and causes it to work overtime WHEN IT'S DRANK IN LARGE AMOUNTS!!!! One diet soda a day will not kill you. A diet cola will do two things though. It will do as I just mentioned, and, also when drank in large amounts, will give you gall stones. Know that for a fact, because that's what happened to me. I now drink other diet drinks (without caffeine) and will have a coffee and a cup of tea per day, with the occasional Diet Pepsi once in a blue moon. Diet drinks won't kill you, but in excess they will do that. Don't believe me? Watch the Doctors, that's where I found this out.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I love Coke Zero Cherry with ALL my heart. Unfortunately, I am so neurotic about consuming any kind of soda that I can't fully enjoy drinking it. Analogy of my entire life.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    And lots of chemicals. Why do people think we can continue to alter our food supply and not have negative effects? Our society is flooded with healthy issues that were almost non-existent 50 years ago. If it is not connected to our food supply, what is causing Americans (and people around the world) to have all these new health issues?

Obama said it is Bush's fault.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I have no problem with drinking diet coke......................its when I add the vodka that problems start :drinker:

Vodka and diet coke? Never had that. I think I'll stick with the Captain though. Besides, now that there's aspartame AND sugar, it's guaranteed that we will die someday.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Okay, here's the scoop. I'm going to clean this up for everyone. Apparently, diet soda tricks the pancreas into thinking it's not making enough sugar (hey, I'm just quoting a doctor from TV here!!!) and causes it to work overtime WHEN IT'S DRANK IN LARGE AMOUNTS!!!! One diet soda a day will not kill you. A diet cola will do two things though. It will do as I just mentioned, and, also when drank in large amounts, will give you gall stones. Know that for a fact, because that's what happened to me. I now drink other diet drinks (without caffeine) and will have a coffee and a cup of tea per day, with the occasional Diet Pepsi once in a blue moon. Diet drinks won't kill you, but in excess they will do that. Don't believe me? Watch the Doctors, that's where I found this out.

Ah! The TV doctor knows all. *quits diet soda and starts raspberry keytones immediately* Now I will live forever!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    For trying to lose weight, there isn't any reason why you can't drink diet soda and lose weight.

I don't like the idea of soda in general (the carbonation is obnoxious to me), but I can't imagine it's great even in diet form after hearing things in the news like "Well, there can't be a dead rat in a can of soda you open, because the rat would have disintegrated."
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Studies have shown that there are ingredients in diet drinks that aren't good for you, but that's what i've heard, I haven't seen the studies myself. I honestly believe any soda drink is bad for you. But being the stubborn person I am, I still drink them haha! I can go without it, but I like my occasional diet coke. I wouldn't drink it everyday.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Diet sodas have no nutritional value and contain aspartame. The aspartame makes you eat and crave sweets. I would stick with water.

I have not noticed those effects. In fact I have noticed the opposite.

I agree, I don't have any cravings while drinking diet coke. It's all in the mind :P jk
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Very bad. It eats up your insides... Have you ever put a steak in a bowl of coke? That coke will tear it up. GROSS.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Personally, I think fake food is the worst thing you can put in your body but we all have to make some compromises now and again (and I probably end up have 5-6 diet sodas a year even though I know better). If you could slowly switch to unsweetened iced tea (green or black), your body would be SOOO happy!
  • dinerroll
    dinerroll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    perfektfox wrote:
    There are no studies showing that diet drinks cause weight gain.

Just wanted to point out that this is not in fact a true statement, as evidence by this study that shows a link between diet soda and weight gain:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm

Educate yourself and make your own decisions. I have never felt better in my life than since I eliminated chemicals like aspartame from my diet.

The study doesn't show that diet drinks cause weight gain, it shows that people that drink diet drinks are likely to be overweight. Those are two very different things. If you're not overweight and like the taste of regular soda better, why would you drink diet drinks?

I can't state factually, but I'm reasonably certain there aren't studies showing that aspartame or diet foods generally cause weight gain, either directly or indirectly (by increasing calorie consumption via raised insulin... whey protein raises insulin and blunts hunger btw).
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have no nutritional value and contain aspartame. The aspartame makes you eat and crave sweets. I would stick with water.

Yeah, and I bet those people never had craving for sweets prior to drinking diet soda.

Drinking soda also makes you pee. But so does water. Obviously the only solution is to avoid drinking anything at all. And food makes you poop so you should avoid it as well.
  • Jamdrewkids
    Jamdrewkids Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda, and I feel great. I now drink Honest ade and Honest tea. They are just a tad sweet and i now find some things too sugary! Seems like a good switch to me.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I don't like bubbly drinks because they expand your stomach. There are many different philosophies ,but of course you have to find the one that works for you. Personally I see it as poison but that is my decision and opinion and I would never force that onto someone else. It is all opinions anyway. Water is much better for hydrating you. Saying that, my grandmother hated water and loved diet coke and coke for that matter. She was 95 when she died.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    My Dr. says it's fine and i drink maybe 1 a day or everyother day.I LOVE DIET COKE!!!!!!!:heart:

I am actually in school to become a registered dietitian and so far the most amazing thing I've learned is that most physicians don't know any more about nutrition than what they read in the Prevention magazines in their own waiting room :)
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dont know about it causing weight gain but for me personally I retain water and get bloated if I drink it everday for a few days! So for me its better not to drink it just so I dont get demotivated by seeing the scale go up :)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I was raised to believe that only men should dink women, and vice versa. Since then, I've realized that it doesn't matter who you dink, or what you dink, for that matter. If you want to dink Diet Coke, go for it. To each his own.