MFP under calorie goal: not a positive announcement

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
So I'm a little annoyed with MFP and how it announces when you are under your calorie goal when you complete your diary as though it is a good thing. (And then the following "way to goes and congrats" that ensue in comments, even for WAY under)

Isn't the idea to set a correct goal and then try to get as close as possible to that every day, not more than a few hundred calories one way or another?

Now, I am often under my goal (not a good thing for me) but am working hard to correct that. I don't see coming in under as a good thing, whether trying to loose or gain.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how people have their target calories set up? Like maybe they have it set to maintenance and then try to go under by 300-500? It just seems like a dangerous way to set it up and and go too low.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    You can disable that notification to your friends in your Home settings. Then they won't comment on your end of day at all.

This site itself doesn't congratulate you for being under. It's merely a red or green , negative/positive number distinction, as in most accounting software.
  • sneph650
    sneph650 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It would be so much more helpful if the notice was something like "within 100 calories of his/her goal."
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What gets me is the "If every day was like today you'd weigh XXXlbs in 5 weeks"... Which isn't true and gives people the mentality that if they eat WAY less they'll lose even more... Dangerous tool if you ask me.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm guilty of many congratulations for being under because I misunderstood how the system works. I myself am trying to increase my daily AND do what I can to net to as close as possible (over/under) as possible.

I think I've mostly stayed away from giving people high fives for being under and try to make comments about their actual entry or focus on the exercise goals.

I like the "within 100 calories of his/her goal" idea.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    So I'm a little annoyed with MFP and how it announces when you are under your calorie goal when you complete your diary as though it is a good thing.
    MFP does not create a positive announcement. It states fact, without commentary: "poopsnacker123 completed his food and exercise diary for 05/09/2012 and was under his calorie goal."
    And then the following "way to goes and congrats" that ensue in comments, even for WAY under
    That is a problem to address with your friends.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It would be so much more helpful if the notice was something like "within 100 calories of his/her goal."
    ^^This. You can't be right on ever so I allow 100 under to 200 over. That notification is turned off on mine because I don't really get the comments either. Neither do I comment on others unless someone is doing really well and I creeped their diary. Some people won't friend you if you have it turned off.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can disable that notification to your friends in your Home settings. Then they won't comment on your end of day at all.

This site itself doesn't congratulate you for being under. It's merely a red or green , negative/positive number distinction, as in most accounting software.

This is exactly what I did. After having a few days where I would forget to log a meal, or worked out so much I couldn't eat back my calories, and people telling me they were great or awesome days, I did away with that nonsense. I don't comment on diaries anymore because of this.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    What gets me is the "If every day was like today you'd weigh XXXlbs in 5 weeks"... Which isn't true and gives people the mentality that if they eat WAY less they'll lose even more... Dangerous tool if you ask me.
    If you close out with a really low calorie count, it will warn you -- in red letters!
  • _CiaoParis
    _CiaoParis Posts: 166
    Options
    ^ agreed
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Oh here's a horse that hasn't been beat to death....
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    So I'm a little annoyed with MFP and how it announces when you are under your calorie goal when you complete your diary as though it is a good thing.
    MFP does not create a positive announcement. It states fact, without commentary: "poopsnacker123 completed his food and exercise diary for 05/09/2012 and was under his calorie goal."
    And then the following "way to goes and congrats" that ensue in comments, even for WAY under

Yes.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I look at it from the other perspective. When I was trying to lose weight, the "xxx in 5 weeks" gave me some idea that I was trying to go too fast. So I slowed down a little.

To the original poster, the "under his/her calorie goal" is a neutral statement. The people replying with all of the congrats is the bad part. I have noticed with myself that I fall below whatever I set the calorie goal too regardless of it being high or low. Maybe try setting your goal to be 100 calories higher than it is now and whenever you get under the goal then it would not be so bad. Plus, seeing the slightly higher number might give you the motivation to get closer to what your "real" calorie goal is.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging out for the day. I don't like that either and I'm not a fan of what I'm gonna weigh in 5 weeks. I don't think it's very acurate.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    how do you turn it off.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is terrible. MFP is TOTALLY encouraging people to eat less and less per day until they eat no calories at all!!

:noway:

It's a goal. Get over it. :yawn:
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    While I feel someone with anorexia or bulimia might find this site helpful to gain, it is 99% made for weight loss. Our goal is to be under our calorie count, within reason. Those starving themselves is not good. As long as there is at least a 1200 calorie net, it's fine.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Try not to be too critical folks. Mike and his team have put together a super site here! And it's FREE! I see some of you with just a few dozen posts. Why bother posting if it's all going to be negative on how this program works? This is a very adult web site for weight loss/gain. By that I mean, there is no prescribed diet. You set your own goals.

Many of us have had great success with MFP. Will it work for everyone? I'm not sure. But you've got to give it a fair shake. Turn off your feeds and just work the program for YOU. We all know that 1,200 calories is minimum. This has been discussed on these boards over and over again.

Just stay focused on your individual goals. This is a great site. It has a tremendous data base of foods and nutrition. There are some great people who you can friend for individual support.

Let it work for you! Good luck with reaching your goals.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
  • cass89
    cass89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yeah i mainly hate when peoplele dont have like a proper dinner...they have a drink or coffee...and people are like 'WELL DONE' and i'm like 'UM NO!' this isnt good at all!

they should look at how close they are to their goal and not assume they've done wel lbecause they're below their goal
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options

I just love the name poopsnacker123!!!