Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
I'm serious.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    This is my pet peeve at gym. It's amazing the things people find to do in the squat rack, that isn't actually *squatting*.

My personal fave is when there are five blokes draped over it, watching their friend bench in the smith machine....
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I saw deadlifts again today. Priceless.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    So why can't you do other exercises in a squat rack? Is that the cage with the Olympic bar? At my other gym I used it for squats, lunges, dead lifts, bench presses, shoulder work because, well, my gym didn't have pre-loaded bars and that was my only other option.

If the gym I go to now had a cage I'd use it for that as well. As it stands I use the Smith Press.

I guess I don't understand.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Based on my observations, I'm starting to think we were wrong all along, and we've been trying to do squats in the curl rack this whole time.

:P

And @Jenny, the reason is that a lot of other exercises don't require a rack, but squats do, for most people. So if you're doing a deadlift in the squat rack, you're preventing someone from doing squats (ie using the thing for its intended purpose) by not just being on a mat or in a general area of the gym.

It'd be like doing your stretches while standing on a stationary treadmill.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Based on my observations, I'm starting to think we were wrong all along, and we've been trying to do squats in the curl rack this whole time.

And @Jenny, the reason is that a lot of other exercises don't require a rack, but squats do, for most people. So if you're doing a deadlift in the squat rack, you're preventing someone from doing squats by not just being on a mat or in a general area of the gym.

I think I might be thinking of the wrong piece of equipment.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options

squat-rack.jpg
  • JustJennie1
    Options

squat-rack.jpg

That's what I was thinking.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Anytime Fitness for a while, and one of the locations i went to only had one Cage, and it was the only place in the gym you could squat, bench, military press, etc...........there were no free standing benches in the place, had to pull one in the cage.............lame
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'd agree except that if the only other olympic bar at the gym is being used by some dude doing curls, then I'm doing my deadlifts with the other.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

And @Jenny, the reason is that a lot of other exercises don't require a rack, but squats do, for most people. So if you're doing a deadlift in the squat rack, you're preventing someone from doing squats by not just being on a mat or in a general area of the gym.

some people call power cages squat racks, the power cages can be used for multiple lifts.. Curls in them is still dumb and you wouldn't ever use it for dead lifts either..

This is a power cage:

BodyCraft-F430-Power-Cage-216802-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

it's great for self spotting.

Now a squat rack:

40120.jpg

It's not a versatile as the power cage and I don't see how anyone would do deadlifts on it either but as you can see it's not as easy to do things such as military press, bench press, and other lifts like you can do with the power cage.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Then why would you want to deadlift in that?
  • JustJennie1
    Options

some people call power cages squat racks, the power cages can be used for multiple lifts.. Curls in them is still dumb and you wouldn't ever use it for dead lifts either..

This is a power cage:

BodyCraft-F430-Power-Cage-216802-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

it's great for self spotting.

Now a squat rack:

40120.jpg

It's not a versatile as the power cage and I don't see how anyone would do deadlifts on it either but as you can see it's not as easy to do things such as military press, bench press, and other lifts like you can do with the power cage.

Ok. It was the Power Cage that the place where I worked had. I did dead lifts because there were no preloaded bars and the dumbbells did not go up that high
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

:huh:

how the hell??
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

I think they are just taking the BB off the rack and using it. You couldn't do a proper deadlift in it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts in one of the squat racks because loading the barbell on the floor is a *****.

squat_rack.jpg seems to be made for deadlifts as well, imo.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I think they are just taking the BB off the rack and using it. You couldn't do a proper deadlift in it.
    Right. It's the number of available olympic bars that's the problem.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're talking about a squat rack and not a power rack? Power racks have adjustable safety bars, and are for doing all kinds of lifts safely without a spotter (squats included, but also bench press, etc). Squat racks may or may not have catch bars (usually not adjustable), and are basically just hooks at around shoulder height to get the weight up onto your back.

I bench, squat and overhead press in the power rack. If no one's waiting to use it, I'll also use that barbell for rows and deadlifts (since it's less hassle than going off to look for another one).
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    my favorite exercise on this contraption is curling for biceps, it's the best!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    seems to be made for deadlifts as well, imo.

how do you figure? deadlift starts and ends on the floor.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It'd be like doing your stretches while standing on a stationary treadmill.
    This is kind of how I stretch. I put it on the slowest speed stretch one leg and when I'm about to fall off take a couple steps forward then stretch my other leg. I'm so lazy I won't even count to 10 on a stretch!