What Motivated You to Start Losing Weight?

Options
For me, it was the chance to go backpacking for two weeks in the mountains of northern New Mexico. Philmont Scout Ranch to be exact.

In recent years, they had adopted a system in which your height and weight must meet a certain standard. This was primarily for safety reason for those going into the backcountry and I understand.

For me, I was 5'9" and weighed 258 pounds. The maximum allowable weight for my height is 218 pounds.

So, I decided that would be my motivation. Being able to go backpacking with a group of my Boy Scouts. I began exercising in November 2011; however, did not find "MyFitnessPal" app or website until February. Love it.

So far, I have lost 27 pounds and have 14 pounds to go. I have until June 30th to reach it.

What was your motivation?

Replies

• ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    My health mainly x
  • Lingerine
    Lingerine Posts: 1
    Options
    To become healthier, and trim myself into shape.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    doctor said fat gonna kill you, and soon if you don't do something! ☺ how's that for scare tactic's?
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I knew it was "time" because I was beginning to avoid social situations due to the fact I had nothing to wear or I was embarrassed at how big I was. So glad I have stuck to it! Shopping is now fun and I am loving gatherings/parties/get to togethers again!
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My wife took pictures for our christmas cards including one from the back. When I looked at that picture, I knew that we were not going to be sending those cards out. My *kitten* was so fat on that card (in particular when compared to my lovely, fit little kids), that I knew I had to make a change. -30lbs later, I am about halfway to my goal!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There's a picture of me in my profile putting on a green pair of pants. I was humongous & felt like *kitten* after that weekend & seeing how I looked. Joined WW the following Tuesday & here I am 4 years later & 130 pounds lighter.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the chance to go backpacking for two weeks in the mountains of northern New Mexico. Philmont Scout Ranch to be exact.

In recent years, they had adopted a system in which your height and weight must meet a certain standard. This was primarily for safety reason for those going into the backcountry and I understand.

For me, I was 5'9" and weighed 258 pounds. The maximum allowable weight for my height is 218 pounds.

So, I decided that would be my motivation. Being able to go backpacking with a group of my Boy Scouts. I began exercising in November 2011; however, did not find "MyFitnessPal" app or website until February. Love it.

So far, I have lost 27 pounds and have 14 pounds to go. I have until June 30th to reach it.

What was your motivation?
    That is an AWESOME motivator!
    Mine is vanity. Many of my good friends are getting married soon and I want to look good in the wedding pictures.
  • hklinda1976
    Options
    When I went shopping for jeans and noticed the size that fit comfortably was a 16!!! That's what my mom is and it was a real wake up call for me to get on track with my weight.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    A photograph from my sister's wedding. I couldn't help noticing that I was twice the width of any other person in my family. I had to stop blaming genetics...
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    i saw my self in a photo and some camera footage from hols :( a full length pic ... i didnt realise i was so big
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I work in an ER. A certain patient, who weighed easily 400-450 lbs, kept coming in due to COPD (essentially, the extra weight was suffocating this person). I just kept picturing that as my future and it scared me SO much.

Also, my extra weight was making me infertile and, if I could have kids, I couldn't imagine keeping up with them at 317 lbs. I didn't want to be the mom who never got off the couch.
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of my self on my wedding day and HATING every single one. Not one photo hangs in my house from the best day of my life.
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options
    my true reason to lose weight was because of my daughter who is now 15 months old. I decided that the way I was living my life I was not going to be around very long I would probably never see a grandchild and I want to be around as long as possible for my family.
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options
    Seeing pictures of my self on my wedding day and HATING every single one. Not one photo hangs in my house from the best day of my life.

I know exactly how you feel. I hate all of my wedding pictures!! I actually want o renew my vows once I lose my weight so I can have pictures I might actually hang up.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Clothes. :bigsmile:
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    There was no way I wanted to be overweight when I turned 40. I want to be healthy for my family and I just want to feel better about myself.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    I had an affair.... and realized that there was happiness out there, but that I had to change to get it.

Divorce was first... then focusing on myself and my own health.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a RN. I've seen quite a few people in their 30's have heart attacks from lack of exercise and poor diet. I don't want to be a statistic. And I really want to buy clothes in the regular stores instead of Lane Bryant. I want some cool clothes, and I want to look good in them.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My health for the most part. Then, to be able to keep up with the kids (nieces and nephews).
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My wife took pictures for our christmas cards including one from the back. When I looked at that picture, I knew that we were not going to be sending those cards out. My *kitten* was so fat on that card (in particular when compared to my lovely, fit little kids), that I knew I had to make a change. -30lbs later, I am about halfway to my goal!

I can relate.... I had rolls of back fat! I spent more time shopping and trying to find clothes to hide the fat than I did thinking about how I should get rid of it! I finally got real!