What Motivated You to Start Losing Weight?

Options

Replies

• dsenko
    dsenko Posts: 1
    Options
    Blood sugar was approaching pre diabetes and small yearly weight gains were adding up. I have been going to the gym since October of last year and using my fitness pal since February and my doc is impressed already with my cholesterol and blood sugar level which decreased from pre diabetes to mid normal range.
  • coolteenager101
    coolteenager101 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    FOOTBALL SEASON!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1) My daughter. I want her to grow up with healthy habits, not to learn my bad ones and grow up being the fat kid

2) Because my self esteem got so low I stopped taking care of myself, and I started getting depressed, which as a new mom really affects your parenting, lol.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    1. realizing that if I kept gaining, I won't be able to find pants that fit me.

2. Riding horses.

I wasn't able to rid them because it was a health hazered. I am riding now!

3. If I don't lose the weight I won't be able to go white water rafting again..

I fell out of the boat last time. Got stuck in a rapid.
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    My friend and I [who live in two different cities] decided to start dieting together and supporting eachother.
    Sadly, she didn't start. But I had already started and didn't want to stop just because she didn't get going.

She's recently started up though, but she's not online much so we dont' get to talk very often. :<
  • kaleynichol
    kaleynichol Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One day, I realized that I hadn't taken a picture of myself in MONTHS. Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE pictures and I love posting them on facebook, etc. I started to think back and realized that subconsciously, I had been leaving my camera at home, or stepping out of the shot of someone else's picture, or just deleting the pictures altogether; whatever I could do to avoid having to really *look* at myself later.

I knew I had to change. For my self confidence, for my health, for my future. It was no longer ok to hide inside bags of chips and ice cream containers. I needed to face ME and work on ME. Now I feel even better than I did in high school!!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    fitting back into my skinny jeans! i love clothes!
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My "BEFORE" picture at 242 lbs... I took that pic in January on vacation and it was a total reality check when I SAW myself in it!!!! I was SHOCKED and never noticed I had gained that much. Joined MFP January 7th of this year and have been on here ever since!!! My profile pic shows my BEFORE and DURING pic.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    I didn't like the woman in the mirror anymore.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I was fat and I wanted to be less fat.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Pictures of myself.
    Realizing I had worn a maternity swimsuit, without knowing it, all last summer. :(
    Being prescribed 2 meds, maxed out on one, for high blood pressure.
    My sister had a stroke at 53
    My mom, dad, brother and 2 sisters are/were all diabetic and I don't want to be!
    I started getting out of breath just walking upstairs.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was fat and I wanted to be less fat.

AHAHA! That was MY answer! I was WAY fat and didn't even recognize myself. So I said "to hell with that" and did something about it.
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have tried for years to lose the weight but it was so hard.... finaly after her being pre deiabetic and me being on high blood pressure meds. we found this APP. and it is so user friendly between both of us we have lost 75 pounds my B/P is now 119/66 on average and we both have not felt this good since we were in our 20's. Its is such an awesome feeling to be able to play with our grandchildren and enjoy all life has to offer again and not hurt all the time.
  • mstafford28
    Options
    well, mainly it's just that I noticed myself not fitting in the clothes I usually wear like on a day to day basis, plus just looking in the mirror, noticed that I've been gaining weight and I guess was oblivious to it. But, now I am working out and TRYING to eat right, well better anyway. But, it's hard for me. I've never ever had to watch what I eat because my metabolism has always been good. But, after my 3rd child, it has slowed way down. So, the exercising part I love, it's the eating right that's my struggle, and I'm open to ANY suggestions!
  • TiffanyDeanee
    TiffanyDeanee Posts: 158
    Options
    I had a dream that my dream guys Christian Keyes and Henry Cavill were sitting at a table with the fat me and a healthy me and they chose the healthy me because she was able to hike, run, and fit into those size 7 for all mankind jeans that I have in my closet. I woke up feeling like I was about to cry and that same day I found mfp, registered, lost 10 pounds. lol crazy but it did happen.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on a scale since high school so I don't know exactly what I weight but when my 4x cotton tshirts started getting tight, I knew it was time to get serious. I've lost a bit of weight just by changing a lot of my old habits and I'm going on almost 3 months strong. Here's to making life long changes!:drinker:
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was out for drinks with coworkers and one of the guys had his really pretty wife there and added me to Facebook on her phone. As she was looking through my old photos, she saw one of me ten years ago when I was thinner and said, "Holy crap! That was you!?!" and proceeded to show everyone how "hot" I was. The past tense is what sunk it.

The next day I started using MFP religiously.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Knee pain. My doctor said for every pound I lose, I would take three pounds of pressure off my knee.
    ^^^ same here - my doc said every # lost would be like 7# off my knee b/c I am so heavy. 15# lost so far. great topic.

ETA: .... and my bp is inching higher and higher ... pretty sure I will start meds this Friday.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have always been heavy, I am so tired of being fat and I have a very bad family history of high cholesterol, heart problems and diabetes. I have tried all the diets and have finally found something that works.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of things, honestly. (No particular order)

1. I don't want to be a fat girlfriend/bride...(Although, I already am) I've been with this guy for 9 years and he still hasn't popped the damn question. Something has gotta give
    2. I want to go on rollercoasters! I love them!!! Although, right now, I don't think I could fit into one.
    3. The doctor...How many times can one person take going to the doctor and hearing "You are at risk for a heart attack and a stroke."
    4. My mother. She was KINDA heavy. Not nearly as heavy as I am at (250lbs right now) She's lost at least 30lbs and looks great!
    5. ME! I am so tired of being tired (granted it's part of having an underactive thyroid and no medication...in process of finding a new doctor), I am tired of being fat. I am tired of going up a flight of stairs and feeling winded. I am tired of walking for 30 minutes and sweating! I'm tired of eating bad things that don't satisfy me.. I could go on.