If Every Day Were Like Today... RANT

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
I really don't agree with the tool at the bottom of your report when you finish your daily food log. "If every day were like today, you'd weigh XXXlbs in 5 weeks."

When I first joined this site, I wasn't really thinking and that tool totally motivated me to eat less and less, even though I logically knew that it wasn't a good thing eating so little. I thought the leftover 700 cals was a GOOD thing (even more than that when you count my exercise).

"Surprisingly", I didn't lose until I started doing my research and upped my calories... but I think if I had just left it and not researched it, I might have ended up with an ED, because I became OBSESSED with that stupid little prediction at the bottom of my food diary.

Rant over.

** I do realize this is a free tool, and I think its really amazing. I love being here and the support you get in the MFP community**

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tool, while acknowledging its limitations. It's purely mathematics.
  • karenmareeyoung
    Options
    Did you know you can take that feature off so you don't see it anymore? I was able to do it on my mobile app but can't remember exactly how. Hope that turns your rant into a rave. :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I like it, but then I don't have an obsessive personality. Not trying to be rude, just calling it like I see it.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    No its true, I am totally obsessive, so I'm not offended at all, lol.

If someone knows if there's a way to turn it off, lemme know :)
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    On the mobile app there is an option to turn off the Complete This Entry feature. I know that the thing you are referring to shows up after you press that button so maybe that would get rid of it!!!?

***Just tried it myself. Couldn't find the complete this entry button at all. Which means no If every day response.

Oh forgot to say how to change it. Bottom icons, right side tap on more then settings and then switch that one to off. Hope that helps.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I hate it because it lies. LOL!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't like it because it isn't accurate and also sets people up for disappointment if the don't reach that weight. I have adjusted my calorie goal to account for breastfeeding, so MFP thinks I am eating too much and often estimates a goal that is about my current weight. I just ignore it but I have seen people that say they are only weighing themselves every five weeks, assuming that that estimate would be correct. I didn't think that was a good idea.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    honestly you don't have to click the button ..
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like it because it scolds me when I don't eat enough. I will eat an extra yogurt to avoid the chewing out I get if I haven't eaten at least 1200 calories.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I hate it because it lies. LOL!

yeah, it's full of *kitten*.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You have to beat it at it's own game. I don't show it all my cards.

Today, I walked more than five miles at work, all at top speed. I didn't log it. When I completed my entry, it said I'd lose .2 pounds in 5 weeks.

I smiled and thought "so you think".
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tool, while acknowledging its limitations. It's purely mathematics.

I couldn't agree more! I use it to keep me motivated and focused. But I also know it's all a numbers game.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like it because it scolds me when I don't eat enough. I will eat an extra yogurt to avoid the chewing out I get if I haven't eaten at least 1200 calories.

I agree.
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options

Today, I walked more than five miles at work, all at top speed. I didn't log it. When I completed my entry, it said I'd lose .2 pounds in 5 weeks.

jedi mind tricks...... i think im scared
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't like it because it isn't accurate and also sets people up for disappointment if the don't reach that weight. I have adjusted my calorie goal to account for breastfeeding, so MFP thinks I am eating too much and often estimates a goal that is about my current weight. I just ignore it but I have seen people that say they are only weighing themselves every five weeks, assuming that that estimate would be correct. I didn't think that was a good idea.

Could you add an "exercise" that would be the equivalent to the calories your using for breastfeeding? Just a thought, or make up your own?
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

LMAO!! Best reply!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I like it. No it's not completely accurate, but it serves a a reminder that the extra 100 calories or extra 10 minutes of exercise will make a difference over time.

As the original poster warned, there is a risk that someone will try to make it too extreme, but there are people already doing that by trying to see how low they can get in total and net calories each day. Partly it depends on whether you have the mindset that you're here to lose weight as fast as possible or to learn how to eat healthily, balancing what you eat with your exercise in a way that incorporates it into your lifestyle and leads to an amount of exercise and caloric intake that trends to the weight, physical shape and habits you want to have.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I didn't check it out, but on another thread/topic someone said that breast feeding is one of the choices already programmed into the "exercise" options.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    i use it as a something to ignore that i figured out on day one.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Right, and every day is NOT like today!