If Every Day Were Like Today... RANT

Options

Replies

• ekloretto
    ekloretto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either. The idea of having some kind of "You did well today" when I finish my log is nice, but the way this is presented does easily give the impression that fewer calories is better. Also don't like the phrase "under her calorie goal" in my feed. Again it feels like the computer is trying to tell me that I am being successful, but when I don't see it there is always a moment of "What didn't I do right?", when in reality I might be as little as 2 calories over my "goal", as opposed to 500.
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    Meh..I don't put too much stock into it. Its just a nice-to-know feature. I will say for me though based on my progress it has been pretty accurate.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I hate it because it lies. LOL!

yeah, it's full of *kitten*.

Yep, it is meaningless and disappointing.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I hate it because the "Oh noes, starvation mode!" thing is alarmist and stupid.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I never paid much attention to it. I read it, just because it's there, and then I promptly forget it.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    As I told one of my MFP friends when she was down about the figure going up by 3 lbs from the day before. For those figures to actually happen you would need to eat exactly the same food/calories for 5 weeks and you would also need to burn the same number of calories in excercise for 5 weeks.

Not sure about anyone else here but I would be bored stiff by the end of a week and give up.

So my advice to you is ignore it :-)

Andy
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You have to beat it at it's own game. I don't show it all my cards.

Today, I walked more than five miles at work, all at top speed. I didn't log it. When I completed my entry, it said I'd lose .2 pounds in 5 weeks.

I smiled and thought "so you think".

jedi mind tricks...... i think im scared

These are not the pounds you're looking for!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    But the end of day also tells you you can be going into Starvation Mode if you undereat your Goal. How did you not see that?
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate it as it loves to lie to me.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    it's a terrible tool imo.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Since I know every day is NEVER like today, I scoff at its foolish predictions.

Then I eat something because I'll be DAMNED if some computer is the boss of me!

(Woop - gotta split. Outlook sez I have a meeting!)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I only like it when it shows me something I want to see ;-)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    i used to really like it, and found it to be pretty accurate (I guess every day *was* like today!) Then I got annoyed by it. I keep track of my weight every day, but I don't log it every day. So I can weigh myself in the morning at 185 lbs, although MFP has my weight as 190 lbs, and then MFP will say "If every day was like today, you'd weight 187". Well obviously it will be inaccurate.

I got around it by just never clicking the button that says "Done with entries for today".
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have to say the only reason I like it is b/c on the occasional days that I do go over my calorie goal... it lets me see "ohhh so if I ate like this every day, I'd pretty much maintain my fat a** status!" and it makes me want to do better the next day! More of like a slap in the face to why I look the way I look now by eating so much.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have found that it pretty on point for me if I keep all my days consistent for those 5 weeks. However, I'm informed enough to know I still have to eat to stay energized!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I only like it when it shows me something I want to see ;-)

exactly! I get excited over the estimated weight loss.
    I have no idea if its right or not though, I do not remember what I weighed 5 weeks ago or what it said.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You have to beat it at it's own game. I don't show it all my cards.

Today, I walked more than five miles at work, all at top speed. I didn't log it. When I completed my entry, it said I'd lose .2 pounds in 5 weeks.

I smiled and thought "so you think".

jedi mind tricks...... i think im scared

:laugh: I about choked on my apple when I read this! :laugh:
  • Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options

OMG I laughed so hard....sorry...random.
    I really like this site...but nothing is set in stone :)
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I think it would be more useful if they took a moving average and said:

"If every week were like the last 7 days, you'd weigh XXXlbs in 5 weeks."
  • alliewowie
    alliewowie Posts: 31
    Options
    Mine is definitely WRONG.. today it told me if every day were like today... I'd lose 20 lbs in 5 weeks.