What do you put in your salads?

Options

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    mixed greens, craisins, slivered almonds, half avocado, campari tomatoes, blueberries and grilled chicken with Romano Basil dressing- MY FAV!!!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    sometimes i'll put black beans or avocado, i always put lots of tomato, olives, sometimes roasted peppers or capers, and i love crunchy onions on top (from fresh gourmet)
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Jicama, avacado, nuts (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds), dried cranberries or raisins, chickpeas, edamame, mushrooms, carrots, artichoke, tortilla strips, black beans....not all at once though.....There's some good ideas here that I may even try!
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    Strawberries, red onions, and spring mix with a fat and sugar free sweet mustard dressing.

Orange slices, diced chicken, slivered almonds, and a dressing made from the juice of 1/2 and orange, olive oil and vinegar... spices.

A greek salad: cucumbers, black olives, tomato, and feta cheese with a dressing usiing olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, and oregano

Marinated veggies: tomato, onion, cucumbers, green peppers ( or any other color) and cilantro. Use apple cider vinegar and stevia as a dressing. Allow to blend by letting it sit in the refridge for at least 3 hours before serving.

Cottage cheese salad: 1 tub cottage cheese. To this add 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, red onion ( minced) grape tomatoes cut in half, cilantro, celery, and green peppers ( any color will do). Garlic poweder, salt and pepper to taste.

Beet salad: cook fresh beets, and chill them. Slice them or cube them and place them on top of about 2 cups of spring mix greens. Add crumbled goat cheese and pecans, then sprinkle with a littel balsamic vinegar.
  • THEErikaR
    THEErikaR Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nice cool romaine with sliced strawberries, chopped apples and cucumbers, (I added avacado once... eh), grilled chicken (almonds if I have 'em) and 2 tbsp of raspberry vinagrette... DELISH!!!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    About 16oz of Ribeye. I don't even cut it up. I just drop it on the lettuce right off the grill. Sometimes I don't even eat the lettuce.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Instead of dressing, which can be unhealthy, I go either for tahina or for a mix of lemon juice and olive oil. Healthy fats to help me get my fat fix. :)

For crunch, I'm a big fan of mixed roasted seeds (sesame, sunflower, etc.).
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Feta or Parmesan cheese and cheddar goldfish instead of croutons! :love:

Goldfish! What a great idea! I'm going to try that tomorrow, thank you!

Yes sometimes the cafeteria at my job has goldfish instead of croutons. They have some unique items at times. I went overboard on my salad yesterday. Instead of lettuce I had spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, they had some marinated squash, chayote, lentils, chickpeas, strawberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, feta, guacamole, with sunflower seeds and almonds. I know it sounds weird but I enjoyed it.
  • allipix711
    allipix711 Posts: 91
    Options
    My favorite is lettuce with some craisins, walnuts and crumbled gorgonzola. Also I love spinach with mushrooms, red onion and chopped bacon (turkey bacon).
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Here are favorites:

Baby spinach
    Reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    Grilled chicken breast, cubed
    walnuts
    craisins
    fat-free raspberry vinagrette

Romaine lettuce
    reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    grilled chicken breast, cubed
    frank's red hot sauce
    reduced fat ranch
    chili-lime tortilla strips

But, this one is my absolute favorite:
    Bibb lettuce or mix
    reduced fat cheddar cheese
    grilled chicken breast, cubed
    honey-crisp apple, cubed (or pink lady when the HC are out of season)
    croutons
    reduced fat ranch
  • hatsherwood
    Options
    Everyone's favorite salad dressing! One part canola oil, one part splenda, one part seasoned rice vinegar. You only need a bit and toss, toss, toss. Really yummy with coleslaw too.
  • whalecb
    whalecb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love everything in my salad!!!! Anything that I might make into a sandwich or meal you can put it into a bed of mixed greens. Some of my all time favorite toppers though are sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes!
  • Jenerferzzz
    Jenerferzzz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite additions to my salads is cauliflower. It adds an amazing crunch and texture. You can cut it so it crumbles and you get a little with each bite or you can cut it into larger sites. I actually use this instead of croutons. Other additions would be pretty standard: Mushrooms, boiled egg, beets, onion, cilantro, tomato, peppers of all varieties, purple cabbage, any meats if I'm in the mood. If you add homemade salsa to the mix it can really change things up a lot.
  • 1lizette1
    1lizette1 Posts: 14
    Options
    baby carrots, croutons, shredded cheese, light dressing, almonds

What I would like to know is how everyone records their food when they are making a soup or salad with so many ingredients. It takes so long to input everything on the salad or everything in the vegetable soup when you have a lot of ingredients; you can't just type in soup or salad, because the calorie count would not be accurate. Soups and salads can be a very low or very high calorie count.

So far, I have found some homemade soups with certain veggies in them on the food list, and I just use it, even if I don't have exactly the same veggies in my soup. Any other ideas?

If I make soup or salad they often have the same ingredients each time I make them. I log the ingredients then copy that "meal" so I can just choose it from my "meals" every time I eat it.
    On the iPhone app .... log your ingredients under lunch or supper or snack or whatever. (I'll use breakfast as example). Then beside the word "breakfast" in my diary there is a calorie count then beside that there is a wrench. Click on the wrench then click "remember meal". Give the meal a name "tossed salad no chicken" or whatever and you're good to go.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Romaine hears and chick peas are a staple :)
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The salad I make the most:

baby spinach instead of lettuce
    grape tomatoes
    celery
    slivered carrots
    red/green/yellow peppers
    cucumbers
    broccoli
    grilled chicken or turkey breast
    slivered almonds
    sliced strawberries
    grated parmesan cheese
    raspberry vinagrette
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was eating a lot of tuna and veggie burgers (Boca vegan) on top of my salads and I recently discovered canned crab at Trader Joe's for very few calories with a lot of protein! I mix the crab with some lemon juice, vinegar, cabbage and diced onion for a healthy 'crab salad' and put that on top of my greens! I always add 1/4 an avocado too for some healthy fats.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Love masses of herbs in my salads- cilantro, fresh flat leaf parsley and dill.

Newman's Own Light Lime dressing- So, so so SO good!!!

Avacado, watercress, sunflower seeds, cucumber and tomato.

Chicken salad made with smoked paprika, olive oil mayo and garlic is Amazing!

Pickled jalepenos. Yum.
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! The possibilities! Thank you all!
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I started putting tuna and natural almonds and it tastes great!