buy 99% of my clothes in H&M so cheap!
  • msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    "DOTS" if you have one in your area.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The clearance rack at any major department store. Hit up Macy's, Dillard's, JC Penney's and Nordstroms. Also your local thrift stores. Ross gets the clothes that buyers overly purchase for those fore mentioned department stores. I'm about to donate a huge amount of clothes to Goodwill. All purchased from Dillard's and most of them only worn a few times.
  • LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options
    Kohl's and Maurices are my faves!!! I get compliments all the time on my Maurice's jeans, even from skinny girls! lol ;) Reasonably priced and super cute...

Why do some plus-size stores, including Lane Bryant, think if your fat... you must be tall or have a HUGE bust?!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Why do some plus-size stores, including Lane Bryant, think if your fat... you must be tall or have a HUGE bust?!

bahahaha, I know, right?! Try finding plus-size pants when you're 5'3". You can hem the legs, but not the crotch! Then the shirts - by the time I get them small enough for my chest, the arms are too small to fit my arm flab. :angry:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

And then of course there is the Old Navy Plus online store. And Gap and Old Navy go on sale a lot.

I have found some stuff in Old Navy that has been XXL that fit but never pants. I have yet to order anything off line. I am so scared to order offline because I am afraid it is not going to fit. My shirt sizes fluctuate. But I guess worst case scenario is to send it back, right? :)

Yup and Old NAvy does have a special plus section only available online. It is cut differently than regular old navy stuff. Generally ON doesn't fit me at all, and the PLus clothes never did fit me. But your mileage may vary.
  • lmffdo
    lmffdo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like fashion Bug and old navy on-line. Often if you spend a certain amount there is free shipping. I live near a fashion bug so then return it to the store and old navy has free return shipping for plus sizes since they don't carry a lot in the stores.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Whaaaaat?? I didn't know forever21 had a plus size section! Heaven.

Holy crapcakes...I must check this out!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jadedone
    Options

There is a lot of variation in women's body shapes. Some women carry their extra weight in their belly, or their bust or their hips or their thighs. And we all know women' clothing doesn't give you any indication which body shape it is for.

For example, I am one of those "well-endowed" women and I have a short waist. And even at my heaviest, I almost could never get a plus sized shirt that fit. Seriously maybe 5%. They were too small in the bust, way too long, and too loose in the waist. I just gave up, and never wore button downs. I have owned about 5 or 7 button down shirts in my adult life, and up top I have been 16-18 the entire time. I ended up just going to the "regular stores" and around 90% of my tops are from Gap, Old Navy, Target, Kohl's and H&M.
  • roberta145
    roberta145 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thrift stores are the way to go! Winners is another, i found a cute dress for $30 from Cynthia Rowley XL that I fit and Im usually a 1X-3X!! All you gotta do is try, you never know what you can fit you will be surprised!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Oh my...LOL...I was better off not knowing this information!

I am surprised I never thought of this. Most stores have plus sizes available online....and I use to work across from Forever 21 and think "Oh that would be cute...surely no size for me".
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    also remember that it's ok to "pre-buy". go to the clearance racks, if you see something that you ADORE, that's a size or four too small for NOW, but that is so your style and is super cheap, get it now and closet shop it later. it will save you a TON in the long run.

clearance racks in every store, i walk back to them first, i see no point in buying even a $40 top when i'm only going to wear it a few months on the outside. belts and tailors. get as much use as you can out of one peice. accessories! shoes, jewlery, scarves, bling - you can wear five outfits but make it look like fifteen by mix and match and accessories.

make sure to buy everything in your season, not only will you look better, you can mix and match and never clash - that gets more outfits out of fewer peices. also, a single base color helps with this - black for cool skin tones, brown for warms - you can get more use out of a base color with a few sizzle peices.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    LOVE Torrid !!

also Dress Barn is great and fashion bug and Boscovs not sure if you have any of these stores around but as the previous poster said PRE_BUY !
  • LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options

bahahaha, I know, right?! Try finding plus-size pants when you're 5'3". You can hem the legs, but not the crotch! Then the shirts - by the time I get them small enough for my chest, the arms are too small to fit my arm flab. :angry:

I'm 5'7, so I don't have too much trouble with pants... But, I have the same problems with shirts! Don't even get me started on dresses! haha
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I'm 5'7, so I don't have too much trouble with pants... But, I have the same problems with shirts! Don't even get me started on dresses! haha

A tailor can easily take in a bust or hem pants. I pretty much always have to have my dresses or bottoms tailored no matter what size I am.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Question about Forever 21: Do they actually sell the plus sizes in the store or can you only order them online? I don't want to walk into one looking for "my size" and be embarrassed lol.
  • jadedone
    Options
    Question about Forever 21: Do they actually sell the plus sizes in the store or can you only order them online? I don't want to walk into one looking for "my size" and be embarrassed lol.

Some bigger stores have them. Good luck, I know there are a few in my area that do.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Some bigger stores have them. Good luck, I know there are a few in my area that do.

Thanks! It would be nice if there were a way to figure it out ahead of time, lol. I'm still not sure I have the guts to walk into one of those stores, but it's nice knowing it might be an option now and not 50 bajillion pounds from now :laugh:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

Before I clicked on the link I laughed and said Forever21 doesn't carry plus size! Wtf! Now that I clicked the link, I want to hug you!
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    There is a website called www.599orless.com where you can but cute tops sweaters jackets pants tshirts shoes etc for $5.99