those who workout at home

Options

Replies

• skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy at home, run and do interval training....when I got back into lifting I got Tosca Renos book and a large exercise ball (for bench press, chest flys, etc with full motion).....Still just free weights, dumbell, barbell...but that book will help you get started.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    http://www.noexcusesworkouts.com/

this site has different types of interval workouts and strength training that you can do at home without any equipment. There is a free version and a paid version. The trainer who started it is very motivating.
  • PraguuMaya
    PraguuMaya Posts: 16
    Options
    I do.! I do 90 minutes of TurboFire, 20 minutes of jump-roping, and an hour of dance practice. <3

I LOVE TURBOFIRE <3
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I workout at home -
    I do minimum 7days a week so I like variety to spice things up, I have a whole list of dvd workouts I use....
    my favorites that I use the most are....
    Chalean Extreme (Burn Fat, Boost Your Metabolism & Get Lean) I use this for weights lifting
    Leslie Sansone Walk At Home (basically is is aerobic walking, kicks knee lifts and such while doing arm toning)
    Exhale: Core Fusion - Body Sculpt (muscle toning, organized as interval training)
    and for fun
    Zumba Fitness (wii)
    Belly Dance For Beginners Starring Leila

I also just started Jillian M. 30day shred :)
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I started off with Insanity(Cardio based).. did 2 rounds of that and followed it up with 2 rounds of Chalean Extreme(3 days strenght training & 2 days cardio). Now, I'm doing a 3rd round of Insanity and will probably follow that up with P90X.
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My latest discovery is my On Demand on TV - it has free workout videos!! They are short, but good and free!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Ufc trainer on the kinect , biggest loser strength workouts with cord...
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I workout at home (6 days a week)

I bought a treadmill from HSN on monthly payments, and I have a TON of exercise dvds (leslie sansone, tae bo, supreme 90 day). Youtube has a lot of great cardio and strenth training videos to choose from, and since I bought a HRM, some days I just put on my music and dance for 40 minutes.
    And now that it's nice outside, I walk around my neighborhood.
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many people just workout at home? I do as we can not afford to pay for a gym membership or buy any machines at home. For those that do what types of things have worked for you. I have plenty of cardio workouts dvd and wii but am trying to figure out some strength training stuff to do that produces some results.

If you want cardio and strength, give jillian michaels' 30 day shred a try. It's 20 min and is very effective. I am currently doing it and I like it.
  • candi_donovan
    Options
    I have worked out at home using the Windsor pilates videos. I fell in love with Pilates, and the Windsor pilates basic 20 minute workout, was amazing! The best thing about this video, it was so simple easy and it was over before I felt like it had started. The results were more than I could ask for. People were asking my my secret to weight loss, and I hadnt lost that much weight, I lost a ton of inches! I was able to wear clothes I hadnt worn since high school, (i am a mom of 2 in my thirties).
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym that I have been working on over time. As the father of 3 busy kids, it is nice to go down to the basement instead of making the trip to the gym.

There are several ways of doing it. The cheapest and most space efficient way to do it is to get some resistance bands. You can pretty much adapt most exercises so that they work with the bands. Any strength training routine (from p90x to new rules of weightlifting for women) should be doable with the bands.

My gym is fairly extensive and includes a bunch of different varieties of weights from barbells to dumbells to cable pulley machines to med balls to resistance bands. I consider the resistance bands a very important part of the gym and you can easily do very well with just the bands.

I can do the new rules of weight lifting with bands?
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i have a bunch of dvds mostly leslie sansone, jillian micheals and some golds gym ones. along with my wii fit plus exercises. i mostly do the leslie sansone walking ones and have done 30ds for about a week or so but got bored. i haven't tried the others cause i just wasn't sure but after some of the comments u have all made on the ones i have i think i will just take the advice and mix it up so i don't get bored. i will also look into some online to utilize my weights, kettlebell, bands and stability ball better. You guys are all awesome. maybe once i get better at pushups i can utilize my 4 kids at varying times for weight since they r all so different. lol
  • mmsv
    mmsv Posts: 3
    Options
    I love the p90x dvd's and when I don't feel like doing that, I just search on youtube for workouts!
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    love these ideas.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, a doorway pullup bar, and a mat. Everything I need.

I do progressive calisthenics.

I've worked my pushups up progressively harder and have mastered the one arm pushup. It is my bench press replacement. I'm currently taking a break from them but next I'm going to start working toward plyo one arm pushups and pseudo planche pushups.

I started on wall handstands and have worked up to handstand pushups. Next I'd like to learn to press up, but I need to get to tuck planches first ,a current focus of mine.

I started on chinups and pullups, worked them up, now I'm working on front levers, back levers, and one arm chinups.

I started with crunches, planks, and bicycle crunches, worked up to L-sits and leg lifts, now I'm working on dragon flags.

I started with frog stands and dips, and am currently working toward a tuck planche with the ultimate goal of doing a full planche.

I started with low bridges and supermans, now I can hold a full bridge (wheel in yoga), working toward a stand to stand bridge.

I started with wall sits and BW squats, today I'm doing pistol squats and hill sprints outside, working toward shrimp squats and plyo pistols.

I also do a modified crossfit cindy workout for endurance, 50 chinups, 100 pushups, 150 bw squats as fast as I can do it (still takes several sets).

On recovery days (3x strength, 3x running) I do the Yoga X video.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I also workout exclusively at home. I have a ton of Bob Harper's videos. I like that he does compound muscle, whole body exercises for the most part, and they're low enough impact I can do them with my horrid feet. I also have Ripped in 30, which is okay, but too short, too high impact, and JM grates on my nerves, so I don't do it with any great frequency (I really liked the Level 3 workout, but it wrecked my feet, so I don't know if I'll go back to it any time soon). I mix it up with Pilates and Yoga, which helps me with my balance, coordination, flexibility and strength, and do it in a way that traditional strength training does not.
  • heduell
    heduell Posts: 13
    Options
    I got a membership to Fitness Magazine, and I cut out the workouts that are inside and made a binder for myself. So many of these workouts offer GREAT strength building guides! I've shredded size off of my arms just doing a few basic moves, and I also use Nike Training Center app on my iPod! These do all sorts of workouts that really push you! I do hardly any running, but am still seeing results! I also do Hot Yoga 4-6 times a week! Good luck with the at home! I have two kids, so I have to be up early to do my workouts before they wake, or I'll drag!
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I just traded in my half cage for a stationary bike and I'm getting great results with it. I also have a dumb bell set that goes to 20 lbs so I've just started with that. I'm using the 10 lb weights to start off.

I do yoga videos and all kinds of cardio videos too. I get bored with cardio really easily so the bike has helped tremendously in that area. I can always fiddle with my ipod touch while I'm riding to keep the boredom from setting in.

Oh and lastly Wii. I love to use that to get a few extra calories burned here and there. It's more like having fun than exercise and I never get tired of it.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Look up BodyRockTV on youtube. All the workouts can be done at home. They have the equipment on their website, but if you're creative enough you can find alternative things in your house to use.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have had great success with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

I second this. Combines abs cardio and strength.