Protein Shakes (also, to chug or not to chug?)

Options
This is probably a lame question...but just curious, do you chug your protein shake or drink it casually?

What are some of your favorite protein shake flavors (& who makes it?)

Replies

• islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    I make my own shakes (no powder, just cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk, nut butter with fruit or whatever), but I'm definitely a slow drinker, not a chugger! Because they're made with proper yummy ingredients they taste nice enough not to chug. I imagine I would chug something if it tasted gross.

My favourite recipe at the moment is varying quantities (depending on how my macros for the day are shaping up) of:
    - cottage cheese
    - Greek yoghurt
    - semi skimmed milk
    - cocoa powder
    - frozen banana
    - hazelnut butter
    - ground flaxseed

Yum.

Edited to add: I've just realised that sounds like I'm really critical of protein powders! I'm not at all, I just prefer to get my protein from whole food, which I can because I'm not doing major strength training or anything. I feel bad now!
  • bco1158
    bco1158 Posts: 38
    Options
    Wow, I'd never thought of making my own.

I'll definitely be giving your idea a try one of these days. I'm assuming you blend it all together in a blender?
  • deewill27
    deewill27 Posts: 3
    Options
    Super Advanced Body Fortress-Vanilla mixed with unsweetened Almond milk (6 to 8oz) and a few strawberries or blueberries is my favorite!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I use Amp 60 from GNC... it's by far the best tasting shake I've tried... and yes, unfortunately, I chug mine! :)
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is probably a lame question...but just curious, do you chug your protein shake or drink it casually?

What are some of your favorite protein shake flavors (& who makes it?)

GNC total lean swiss chocolate. I mixed mine with 1 cup milk and drink for breakfast, Super yummy! Also Gnc sells AMP 60 chocolate again super yummy.. Made with milk (not water).
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I drink mine like it is a milk shake. I don't think it matters either way though
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    Wow, I'd never thought of making my own.

I'll definitely be giving your idea a try one of these days. I'm assuming you blend it all together in a blender?

Yup, blend until smooth. I'm not a massive fan of cottage cheese straight, but blended with ice till it's smooth it's a great protein addition.
  • soph501
    soph501 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    PhD diet whey (chocolate) is pretty nice tasting. Just has a bit of a strange texture and pretty expensive ^^! I can drink it slowly but I like to make them at a pretty thick consistency.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I chug everytime! lol I mix mine with water so it's not thick or anything
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    EAS whey protein with the new minute maid 15 calorie peach fruit juice. Tastes so good! (And I drink it slowly to savor it) :drinker:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I prefer Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Malt. My ingestion speed varies depending on my mood and schedule.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lean Body by Labrada is AWESOME - high protein, low carb, low cals, 0 fat (I think), 0 sugar, lactose-free and it tastes amazing!

As for the intake: I drink it down quick in the morning because I'm not a breakfast fan so I get it out of the way. If I need one during a workout, though, sipping is the way to go to avoid puking my guts up all over the weights, lol! Plus, sipping a protein shake during a rough wokrout will give you tons of energy and can up your performance big time.
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My favories are Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard cookies and cream or chocolate coconut. I mix with 1 cup skim milk and a few ice cubes. Tastes like a ice cream shake. Yum! I don't chug it 'cause it's too cold to.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I make my own shakes (no powder, just cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk, nut butter with fruit or whatever), but I'm definitely a slow drinker, not a chugger! Because they're made with proper yummy ingredients they taste nice enough not to chug. I imagine I would chug something if it tasted gross.

My favourite recipe at the moment is varying quantities (depending on how my macros for the day are shaping up) of:
    - cottage cheese
    - Greek yoghurt
    - semi skimmed milk
    - cocoa powder
    - frozen banana
    - hazelnut butter
    - ground flaxseed

Yum.

Edited to add: I've just realised that sounds like I'm really critical of protein powders! I'm not at all, I just prefer to get my protein from whole food, which I can because I'm not doing major strength training or anything. I feel bad now!

So glad to see this! I just bought protein powder b/c I'm having trouble getting enough w/o adding too much fat. I realized, though, that it's probably not sustainable for me, because I like to eat whole foods more than processed. SO glad to see your recipe!! You don't happen to have a ready made nutritional assesment for it, do you?

Thanks!
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you are a coffee drinker and haven't tried it. I *highly* recommend this.

One scoop of any brand's vanilla whey protein, 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee and skim milk. Put it in a shaker and carry it on your way to work early morning. OMG! I look forward to it every.single.morning. No need to add sugar or anything else to the coffee.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just recently started to enjoy my protein shakes I mix em with almond milk which makes em taste that much better
  • jakay_f
    jakay_f Posts: 28
    Options
    Super Advanced Body Fortress- Chocolate and peanut butter and half of banana :) i drink mine slow its so good :)
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't do protein shakes but like the look of that whole foods recipe! :)
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you are a coffee drinker and haven't tried it. I *highly* recommend this.

One scoop of any brand's vanilla whey protein, 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee and skim milk. Put it in a shaker and carry it on your way to work early morning. OMG! I look forward to it every.single.morning. No need to add sugar or anything else to the coffee.

That sounds amazing. Thanks!
  • jaysus
    jaysus Posts: 13
    Options
    I like all of the Optimum Nutrition flavors except for the coffee/moca flavored ones. I only use like 12oz water to 2 scoops so it's not so watery and chug it.