Protein Shakes (also, to chug or not to chug?)

Options

Replies

• ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    I just bought EAS Lean 15, tastes good (even my daughter likes it) but I still chug it... but I chug everything that I drink :drinker:
  • nixrun
    nixrun Posts: 44
    Options
    I use BSN Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream powder, a banana, 2-3 strawberries, Greek yogurt, and unsweetened almond milk blended with ice cubes. I look forward to my protein shake post workout so I chug, not gonna lie.
  • msracefan
    msracefan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use the Visalus shake mix and my favorite recipe is Butterfinger...2 scoops of shake mix (that tastes like cake mix!), 8 oz of Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 Tbsp. of fat free, sugar free Butterscotch Jello Pudding mix, 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter, 6 ice cubes & blend! YUMMY!! And I do do chug cause it tastes so good!!
  • mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you are a coffee drinker and haven't tried it. I *highly* recommend this.

One scoop of any brand's vanilla whey protein, 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee and skim milk. Put it in a shaker and carry it on your way to work early morning. OMG! I look forward to it every.single.morning. No need to add sugar or anything else to the coffee.

What type of instant coffee? I swear I see this mentioned every where...but I must be out of the loop. Like starbucks VIA is the only instant coffee I know of, and they must be out of thier mind for that price. Any one know of anything differnt?
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use Amp 60 from GNC... it's by far the best tasting shake I've tried... and yes, unfortunately, I chug mine! :)

This!! I tried others and despite the cost, I can't beat it for blendability, taste, macros.. and I am doing a lot of strength training, My recovery time was MUCH better while on this!! I paid for trying others..

I chug because I'm usually rushed and drink it directly after lifting.. I typically drink it with water but depending on macros and what I'm feeling like, Also if I have time... I mix it with various milks etc...
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually brew my coffee first, never thought of using instant coffee mix...That would save lot of time since i drink it cold anyway! I add the Walmart Body Fortress in chocolate or vanilla and have it as iced coffee every day. The protein powder acts as the cream and sugar for me.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If I am home and can blend it, I'll enjoy it. If I'm on the run and only have time to mix the powder with water, it is chug before you gag.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I use the Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard protein. I like the vanilla ice cream and double chocolate the best.

I mix them in the blender with fresh or frozen fruit, almond milk, peanut butter, yogurt, or so forth.
    After workouts I will drink them just mixed with almond milk, but not nearly as tasty.
  • maksimsmom
    maksimsmom Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been on Body By Vi shakes for the last six months and adore them (have lost 15 pounds and lots of inches). They are a staple to my everyday and yummy to boot. The only problem I have is that i do chug them and i don't think thats good because its supposed to be like a meal. I have been trying to slow it down a bit.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options

One scoop of any brand's vanilla whey protein, 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee and skim milk. Put it in a shaker and carry it on your way to work early morning. OMG! I look forward to it every.single.morning. No need to add sugar or anything else to the coffee.

I will be trying this!!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I use the Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard protein. I like the vanilla ice cream and double chocolate the best.

I use Optimum Nutrition Delicious Strawberry...I can't get Vanilla Ice cream anywhere im jealous!
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I make my own shakes (no powder, just cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk, nut butter with fruit or whatever), but I'm definitely a slow drinker, not a chugger! Because they're made with proper yummy ingredients they taste nice enough not to chug. I imagine I would chug something if it tasted gross.

My favourite recipe at the moment is varying quantities (depending on how my macros for the day are shaping up) of:
    - cottage cheese
    - Greek yoghurt
    - semi skimmed milk
    - cocoa powder
    - frozen banana
    - hazelnut butter
    - ground flaxseed

Yum.

Edited to add: I've just realised that sounds like I'm really critical of protein powders! I'm not at all, I just prefer to get my protein from whole food, which I can because I'm not doing major strength training or anything. I feel bad now!

That sounds like a really nice breakfast! Do you measure quantities or just chuck in whatever amount you feel like?
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm glad to see there are a couple of body by Vi (Visalus) lovers out there. I've been using them for almost 3 months. They are fantastic! It's me and the two women I work with - one for breakfast (2 scoops of shake, 1 tsp. instant cofee, 1 Tbs. cocoa powder, and 8 oz. of unsweetened almond milk) and one for lunch -always the butterfinger one (2 scoops shake, 1 Tbs. PB, 1 Tbs. butterscotch pudding, 1 Tbs. cocoa powder). I LOVE them! I don't have a lot of weight to lose - I'd like to lose possibly 7 more pounds, although I'm only 3 pounds from my lowest weight ever and only 1.5 pounds from goal. I haven't lost a lot of weight with the shakes (none until I started using my fitness pal and really counting calories) but I have definitely lost inches. My clothes fit great now - are even getting loose! My favorite part of the shakes is that I feel much better and my blood sugar is evened out and I don't have cravings anymore. Plus, I don't have to think about what I'm going to have for breakfast and lunch. I don't really get hungry but if I do I eat some fruit or some nuts. I usually go to the gym in the afternoon so I eat a banana either before I go or right after I'm finished. I definitely don't chug these shakes - they are too yummy. I like to enjoy them! My trainer at the gym, however, said he's not a fan of protein shakes - he thinks it makes it too easy on the body to digest and then when we have real food our bodies don't know what to do. He said I should add some solid food with the shake. I haven't yet. I don't feel like I need to.
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE these shakes, I literally have went through over 20 protein shakes and the one that has hooked me is totally the GNC amp extreme 60 chocolate one... i can almost eat it straight out of the jug LMAOOO...
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options

What type of instant coffee? I swear I see this mentioned every where...but I must be out of the loop. Like starbucks VIA is the only instant coffee I know of, and they must be out of thier mind for that price. Any one know of anything differnt?

Personally I use Nescafe. I think it is the greatest thing after slice bread. But I've tried with a lot of different brands and the results are the same.
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    I make my own shakes (no powder, just cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk, nut butter with fruit or whatever), but I'm definitely a slow drinker, not a chugger! Because they're made with proper yummy ingredients they taste nice enough not to chug. I imagine I would chug something if it tasted gross.

My favourite recipe at the moment is varying quantities (depending on how my macros for the day are shaping up) of:
    - cottage cheese
    - Greek yoghurt
    - semi skimmed milk
    - cocoa powder
    - frozen banana
    - hazelnut butter
    - ground flaxseed

Yum.

Edited to add: I've just realised that sounds like I'm really critical of protein powders! I'm not at all, I just prefer to get my protein from whole food, which I can because I'm not doing major strength training or anything. I feel bad now!

That sounds like a really nice breakfast! Do you measure quantities or just chuck in whatever amount you feel like?

I normally measure it, and depending on how my macros are I reduce the flaxseed/hazelnut butter (I struggle with my fat more than anything else normally) if required. I don't have a straight up nutritional assessment for it because I change it every time, but it varies from 200-350 calories and 12-20g protein.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Muscle Gauge American Isolate. I love the Cake Batter and Cinnamon Roll flavors.

ALSO..

Myofusion Probiotic in Cookies and Cream and Cinnamon Bun. AWESOME.

I chug.
  • nels2010
    nels2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just started incorporating protein powders so I'm no expert - but I've found something I like. This will put you at about 400 cal which is what I try to shoot for at breakfast:

1 scoop - chocolate Isoflex
    1 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp - pb or almond butter (I like chunky)
    1 banana (sometimes frozen/sometimes not)
    Ice cubes

and into the blender til smooth. I drink it slow since it tastes like a milkshake and I love it.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'll casually drink occasionally, but more often than not will chug and not stop til it's gone xD

Currently I use BSC Hydroxyburn Pro caramel flavour (had chocolate before) on basketball days and on lifting days Evolve Anabolic Injection WPI/Hydrolysed whey watermelon flavour for post work out. I just mix with water as I'm lazy and they taste good
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just recently started to enjoy my protein shakes I mix em with almond milk which makes em taste that much better

I was told about this ^^ just recently (I had never tried almond milk before period) - makes your shakes a lot better