Whole, 2%, or skim milk?

Options

Replies

• queezle_sister
    queezle_sister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love skim milk. Anything with fat, even the 1%, just tastes too thick to me.
    But my daughter craves whole milk, and I do sometimes buy it for her.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I can't drink Whole milk because I'm lactose sensitive... Well, I could drink it but I'd have to take my lactase pills before I do. I also don't like how "thick" it is; the mouth feel of whole milk is not appealing to me. I drink 2%, 1%, Fat Free, Almond Milk, or Soy Milk... They are thinner and lower calories, but taste awesome and have good mouth feel to me.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We usually do 1%. Meet in the middle as DH hates skim for the taste but I dislike 2% for all the fat. :)
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We drink raw whole milk.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. I drink whole, 2%, 1.5% (I love my milk delivery service), goat milk, and almond milk, and I even will put whole cream in my eggs or my pasta sauces. The fat is good for you in moderation, if you're not getting too much elsewhere. But too much of any one thing at any time is just not interesting to me, so I shake it up.

My teacher used to say, "Everything in moderation--including moderation itself."
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use skim but only for my coffee...Milk has alot of sugar 12 grams per 8oz....this can sneak up on you and ruin your sugar intake numbers..
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I can't drink either of those.. I use Almond milk.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i only drink fat free .. i can't stomach whole milk (it makes me want to gag)

i prefer fat free that comes in the box ( doesn't need to be refrigerated till you open it, or get it cold to use
    but i do buy the 1/2 gallon fat free milk some times ( we rarely use milk in our house)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your macros. If you are having trouble with fats, then you might not want to drink whole milk. My mother in law does 1% and in my house we do 2% (since it was suggested by the pediatrician). I've switched to almond milk though.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    we converted from 2% to fat-free via a skim that has extra PROTEIN (as opposed to chalky calcium added skim milks) and now we get our milk from a local farm, delivered and it's delish! I drink fat-free still, but DD drinks 1% and DH drinks 1% with acidophilus added.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out which fits best into your needs.

^ Win.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    None of the above.

I prefer 1%. Always have...just for the taste. I couldn't care less about nutrients.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Love the skim. Even as a kid, I loved milk, but hated how thick it was. That said, I love a good milkshake, but that is a different thing...more like eating ice cream than drinking something.

Skim milk tastes better to me, and it feels good. I picture it going down to spread calcium to my bones and protein to my muscles. Skim milk before bed makes me happy.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I buy 2% because that is what my brother who pays have the grocery bill prefers... for me i could care less 1% or 2%.... i dont like milk so the odd time I drink it , it has chocolate in it... the rest of the time its for cooking.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    For cows milk our standard is semi skimmed (1.7% - 2.0% fat), tastes good, has less fat and dose not (unless I have more then a glass) upset my stomach. I think milk choice has a lot to do with what you need out of it. I don't few whole milk as evil or skimmed milk as a super healthy it's all diet and lifestyle dependant in my opinion, but that is just my opinion :)
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No cow's milk for this girl ... soy, almond, or rice milk all the way!
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Since I have switched to skim years go can't stand any of the others. My family has started incorporating coconut milk into our diet and I would like to try the almond milk too. Have thought about trying organic milk but been scared off by the price, but I suppose not any different than buying 2 half gallons of the coconut milk.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Whole milk has always made me gag. I grew up on 2%, we switched to 1% when I was a teen. As an adult, I chose to buy skim. I honestly like the flavor better, and as far as the label says, the nutrients (calcium, vit A & D) are the same. Save the calories and fat for something else I enjoy...
    The problem with skim milk is those vitamins are all fat soluble, so unless you're eating a good amount of fat while you're drinking skim milk, your body can't absorb any of those vitamins.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, but I prefer full fat for most things. You need fat for brain function. That's why people on low fat diets are always so miserable. Also why a lot of kids have trouble paying attention in school nowadays (apart from cell phones, video games etc).

I just think it's weird to drink the milk of something not intended for humans.

Oh, and btw, if you're thinking of calcium milk isn't the best place to get it. You're better off getting it from vegetables (after all, that's where the cows get it from)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I used to do whole, because I liked the taste, then my trainer said 2%, because it has less fat. Now, if I use it at all, I either go 2% or Silk.