Whole, 2%, or skim milk?

Options

Replies

• stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    the consistency of whole milk puts me off.. skim reminds me of white water with a bluish tint.. when i drink milk, i prefer 1%. if that's not available, then i settle for 2%
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We use whole milk in our house. None of us really enjoy drinking it, but we use it in cereals, ice cream, coffee, etc. Fat in moderation is not a bad thing. It helps to let your brain know when you're full to help reduce psychological eating.

Really, I'm more concerned about the hormones in milk than the fat content, so I try to buy brands that do not have hormones.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of milk but buy whole when I do. Tried the almond milk and it was just nasty!
  • squirrelly87
    Options
    You're best with whole milk, otherwise with skim. If you drink anything in between (1 or 2%) it's actually unhealthy because of the process of creating the various fat contents. 1 and 2 % milks are simply skim milk to which they've added back in a portion of the fat that was removed and which is now damaged because of the removal process (some sort of centerfuge). The way your body processes this fat is unlike the fat as it occurs naturally and can actually be damaging. As with anything, the name of the game is moderation so you should pick between the two whichever you like best and then drink that.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I drink Skim, Almond, and Soy
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Skim or 1%, if the latter is all that's around. There are enough other sources of fat in my diet that I'm not going to make my morning coffee one of them. I drink coffee without any sweetener and no-fat or low-fat dairy is not forgiving of bad coffee, so I have to drink decent coffee.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I don't care about fat. I believe milk isn't good for us. We're not bovines.

But I digress. I would take whole over semi or skimmed. I usually have semi when I have milk, as semi is what my parents buy. I only have skimmed if I'm trying to save on calories.

I've noticed something, though. At Starbucks, we have a lot of people ordering 'skinny' drinks. I'm telling you, a vast majority do it for the status, and because they're misguided into believing it's 'healthier'. I even had a customer ask me today if skimmed is healthier. Trust me, it's only a difference of a few calories, and I'd rather take whatever 'nutrients' there are in whole milk.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    2% goat ftw.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yep, I drink skim extra, it has added vitaminD which makes it more nutritious and it tastes better! I also really looove Silk light vanilla soy milk.
  • rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    I personally don't drink milk... I always grew up with 2% but I've never really cared for milk... I still use it for cooking certain things though and with cereal, but since I'm not drinking it I've switched to 1/2% (half) which still tastes fine to me for the little bit that I use (in cereal or cooking)...
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    I have skimmed milk. And only because other milk now tastes nasty!! We use to have semi-skimmed milk but then there was an offer on 1% milk at ASDA which my nan bought (always saving the pennies) and now we cant as a family drink anything more than 2%!!
    Rice milk and Almond milk is beautiful! :smile:
    xxx
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We had 2% or sometimes 1% growing up, but I prefer and buy skim. I dunno, I prefer the taste -- at some point my tastebuds decided that anything was too thick and rich.
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I grew up on flavoured water, I mean skim, and when my son was born I switched to whole milk - preferred the taste.. now that I'm trying to shed some pounds, I switched back to skim milk so that I was taking in less fat..
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Almond Unsweetened Milk, or for baking purposes skim milk.
  • Pururin
    Pururin Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't drink milk often, but when I do it's whole milk. Whole milk is the only one that tastes full, creamy and not watered down to me. My fiance likes it in his coffee instead of creamer and he likes whole as well.
    I'd like to try almond or soy milk, but have never had the chance.
  • stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    i've tried the almond, soy, and rice milk. quite honestly, they all disgust me. lol personal preference! i'll stick with my cow's milk :)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Whole milk. Its the least processed.

Skim milk they just take the fat out and replace it with sugar. No thanks!

Same the 1-2% only they add some of the fat back in, but because it was already taken out its not the same.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Same the 1-2% only they add some of the fat back in, but because it was already taken out its not the same.

nutritional_label_whole_milk.gif

^ 11g sugar per serving (whole)

label-skimmilk.gif

^ 11g sugar per serving (skim)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options

Wait. What? :huh:
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I drink either skim or 2% but I'll admit I like the taste of whole milk the best. Almond milk makes me gag (unless it's just used in cooking or in cereal).