Ladies, TOM products and exercise? Possible TMI.

Options

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but can one use two tampons at once, and maybe tie the strings together?
    Sure if you don't mind toxic shock
    I hadn't even considered that...my :noway: moment was trying to figure out the, uh, mechanics of using two tampons lol.
    Can you stack them?

Not without the first one getting "lost", I wouldn't think...

And there is your toxic shock!

*barf* I suddenly don't feel like eating lunch.

LOL!! Definitely not good times.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but can one use two tampons at once, and maybe tie the strings together?
    Sure if you don't mind toxic shock
    I hadn't even considered that...my :noway: moment was trying to figure out the, uh, mechanics of using two tampons lol.
    Can you stack them?
    Not without the first one getting "lost", I wouldn't think...
    That's why I suggested tying them together.
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not one to shill for certain companies and I'm not associated with OB at all, but seriously OB tampons are the ONLY ones that work for me. My first days I use super plus and can go 8 hours without changing my tampon (and trust me, Aunt Flo comes roaring through with a vengeance!)...then I'll go down to super or regular and I very, very rarely have issues (unless I decide to go swimming). Tampax, Playtex, Super Green Organic Granola tampons...they all leak even when they've not even been in there an hour! For some reason, OB tampons seem to conform to my body more.

Give them a try once, what harm could it do? Good luck to you! Underwear is expensive!!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I just realized this topic is in Food and Nutrition O.o
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    P.S. I've heard stacking tampons gives you a MUCH higher risk of TSS...so...be careful with that one, anyway.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Always Infinity pads, they're the BEST and it doesn't feel like a normal pad. Get the orange or green one- full coverage front to back with wings!

this is actually what i was going to say. they FEEL like a liner, they WORK like a pad. if you're that heavy, you'll want to try these.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

:noway:

EXACTLY
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Diva cup! I've used one for years and haven't had an issue.

This! Mooncups are a God-send!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I know OP said she might be too squeamish for the Dive Cup, but I'm going to put another vote in for it anyway.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to clean out the Diva Cup, they make ones that are disposable. They used to be called Instead Soft Cups, but they may have changed the name.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just use pads lol. I always get way more crampy if I try to use a tampon (I don't know what I am doing wrong there) But I exercised during this TOM for the first in forever and just used a thin pad from always.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Always Infinity pads, they're the BEST and it doesn't feel like a normal pad. Get the orange or green one- full coverage front to back with wings!

omg i switched to these and they are the best while working out (especially doing pilates) and reliable. but i always use playtex sport tampon and always infinity brand together because i'm so self-conscious about leaks.
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely have to try the Playtex Sport and maybe a pantyliner too :)

And I have heard wonderful things about the Diva Cup, but I think I'm a little to squeamish for it, hahaha.

Menstrual cups are more hygenic, better for vaginal health, much much much more comfortable than either pads or tampons, and much more ecologically friendly. I only wish I had heard of them earlier.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DIVA CUP!
  • irenec8
    irenec8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You know, I had a similar messy and very painful situation. For the longest time, I was against using birth control because I didn't want to put anything in my body that would mess with my hormones. I finally couldn't take it anymore--it was nothing that tampons in combination with maxipads or unbelievable amounts of midol or a heating pad could control. It was embarrassing and debilitating! I gave in and went to see my GYN. She rx'd BC for me, and since then, I have never had a messy problem, or intense cramps ever again. A tampon is finally enough! I suggest that you talk to your GYN if you're open to this option...and if you're already on BC and you're still having a problem with excessive bleeding, talk to your GYN.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What's a diva cup?
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely have to try the Playtex Sport and maybe a pantyliner too :)

And I have heard wonderful things about the Diva Cup, but I think I'm a little to squeamish for it, hahaha.

The Diva Cup is AMAZING!!! I was really squeamish about it also. So i started using a disposable menstrual cup to see if they would work for me and it was way better than i was thinking. Give it three cycles. Taking it out was the hardest to get the hang of but after 3 cycles i could tell when it was full so i never had problems with leaking and no pads needed. Tampons always made my stomach hurt really bad the diva cup makes my cramps better, actually after the first two days ill forget im even on my period lol. Its great, give it a try! :)
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Copied from here - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080615144526AAfrAGK

There is no competition, bare in mind that tampons are very bad for vaginal health, preventing normal vaginal cleaning, giving bacteria the perfect place to multiply, absorbing vaginal fluids, and in the case of commercial tampons you have additional risk from synthetic materials, chemicals and bleach – tampons thus cause vaginal infections, vaginal splitting, increased menstrual flow, increased menstrual cramps, TSS and are linked to endometriosis and cervical cancer. Those risks are greatly increased the longer tampons are left in, if you use commercial tampon brands rather than organic, sponge, soft or cloth tampons, and you are at increased risk if you are under the age of 18 (the mucus membranes that make up the walls of the vagina are more delicate so more prone to damage, and a teen or pre-teen does not have as strong an immune system as an adult woman). See tampon health web site – http://www.spotsite.org

You then have the fact menstrual cups, whether it be Divacup or another brand, are cheaper, far better for the environment and have money back guarantees so you can try them without risk (12 months guarantee with Divacup). You may want to check out different brands, Divacup are good particularly with their guarantee periods, however they are quite large so you may prefer a smaller brand (hint, if you’re young or with a lighter flow you may be better of with the Ladycup as these are smaller and softer than other brands). Check the money back guarantees on the different cups, if they have this guarantee then if it doesn’t work you can send it back for a refund and try another brand.
    http://www.divacup.com
    http://www.keeper.com
    http://www.mooncup.com
    http://www.mooncup.co.uk
    http://www.ladycup.eu
    http://www.femmecup.com
    http://www.lunette.fi
    http://www.miacup.co.za

Divacup or any other menstrual cup brand is better than tampons, particularly for sports like swimming because firstly they can be left in for up to 12 hours safely without leaking meaning you can spend more time in the water without fear of leaking or health risks. Tampons absorb pool/sea water too which means that usually they need to be changed more often than the usual 4-6 hours. That pool/sea water could also risk further infection if left within the vagina in that way for long periods of time – yes pool/sea water will get in there even when not using tampons, but the tampons will keep it there along with already increased bacterial growth.

Menstrual cups don’t cause menstrual cramps like tampons do it makes sports a little easier too – tampons cause cramps in that they negatively affect vaginal health, often creating ulcers due to vaginal splitting, tampons expand adding to bloating, and length-ways expanding tampons expand into the already sensitive cervix adding to discomfort.

Menstrual cups have nothing showing on the outside so you don’t have to worry about having to hide stings or check to make sure they are hidden, nothing shows on the outside of your body so there is nothing to worry about – after a while using a menstrual cup you’ll find that they prevent leaking due to their suction so you’ll be a lot more confident in the water.

Menstrual cups are a lot easier to use too, because they are smooth and made from silicone or rubber they are easier to insert as there is no friction as you get in tampons so there is no pain. As they can be left in for up to 12 hours it means no having to carry around spares, worry about changing in public or worry about finding bins. They can be worn any time of the month so you can wear them when your flow is very light – again, better for sports like swimming as otherwise you’d have to wear a pad in the pool – you don’t have to worry about different sizes, it also means that you can practice using one before you get your period.

Agreed with Rose B too, there are a lot of misconceptions about them being messy when they are no more messy than tampons or pads, there are far more benefits to menstrual cups, people are just a little grossed out by them because they are something new and most girls and women are brought up to think negatively about their periods so don’t like anything that is to do with menstruation – they only think cups are yuk because they think periods are yuk and don’t understand how really yuk tampons are.

Oh, you might want to check out the menstrual cup support community too - http://www.menstrualcups.org - they have thousands of members who use menstrual cups, ask questions and share advice, you may want to check out their memories section for more information on menstrual cups :o)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    What's a diva cup?
    And can you stack them?
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Playtex tampon with pantyliner does the trick! Not sure wat your using, but you may need heavy flow tampon.