30 day shred getting a bad rep...

Options
So I'm only on day 4 lvl one of the shred. I have done 53 days of Insanity without having any issues with my right knee above the knee cap.

Now after doing 3 days (haven't done it yet today) of the shred the top of my knee is hurting. I do great up until the side lunges with the lateral raise with weights. The second go around I don't even use the weights and it still hurts. I'm not sure if I'm doing the move right but it looks like I am or if its just that stressful on my knees which the doc said I shouldn't do.

Anyone have any advice? I've read a butt load of reviews on it and most of them said they didn't have knee problems until they started the shred.

Replies

• Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • HeatherNoyes
    HeatherNoyes Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Today will be my 4th day with the shred. I have had zero problems with pain (besides muscles hurting from that crazy work out woman lol). Make sure you do the warm up every time and really focus on pushing the booty out and back when doing those lateral moves. Hope that helps
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It's the side to side motions that bothered my knees. In fact, I injured myself quite a bit and had to stop all exercise for two weeks. Haven't been back to the shred since. The jumping jacks actually bothered my knees quite a bit - I think too much downward pressure on my knees when my feet weren't exactly under them.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am on the 2nd time through 30DS. I have experienced no knee problems. I am very familiar with the move you are talking about though and I think it is an awkward move that could easily be done in poor form which in turn may cause a knee problem. Obviously I can't see you do it so I have no idea what your form is like. Butt should go out like a chair squat only with one bent knee, not both. Make sure knee doesn't go past the toe. This is the same thing JM says on the dvd so it probably doesn't help any.

I've been very impressed by 30DS results but I have seen other complaints about blowing out knees. Best of luck to you!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    ummm. wouldn't the simple answer be just don't do those lunges?
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    for me, L3 has some moves that are just too hard on my knees so i replace them with moves from the same circit but a different level.
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Modify anything that hurts you! It should not hurt. If it's lateral raises, try without weights. If it is lunges, don't go down as deep.

I've had to modify plenty of things because I stay in an apartment and the impact may awake my neighbors. Just try to be light - you will still feel the burn. Don't worry, Jillian won't let you off THAT easy ;)

hope it helps!
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS and am about to go through it again. It really bothered my knees too. Some of the lunges I wouldn't do or would do slowly to make sure my form was right. I also tend to put my weight on my toes, so make sure your weight is on the heel not the toe (if you have that problem). Keep the butt out. And if all else fails do a differnt move in the place of the ones that bother your knees. Hope that might help!
  • nicoladicola20
    nicoladicola20 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    perhaps try substituting the moves for something which puts less stress on your knees, but still works the same muscles? I tend to substitute every move I can't do for squats as they work the whole of my my butt and thighs the best!! :)

If you still want to do the move, you could try just holding the side lunge position and doing the arm raises as it wont put the same pressure on your knee as when you constantly step in and out of it (or 'fall' into position with your whole weight as i seem to)!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I injured my knee when I started the 30 Day Shred (tendonitis so bad that I couldn't walk for a week!) and now I'm prone to recurring bouts of tendonitis even though it's a year and a half later and I'm 65 lbs. lighter (I never had knee problems before the Shred). I've recently started her "Shred it with Weights" and so far my knee is okay.
  • crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    perhaps try substituting the moves for something which puts less stress on your knees, but still works the same muscles? I tend to substitute every move I can't do for squats as they work the whole of my my butt and thighs the best!! :)

great advice!
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a lot of people that 30DS is a killer on the knees. I haven't used it recently, but I'll be sure to watch out for this if I start it again!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I completed Day 6 today and no knee problems here...thank God, because I have a bad left knee. My kneecap dislocates and "clicks" occasionally. I would say just don't do the lunges, or maybe modify them? You don't want to seriously hurt yourself and have to quit the game completely.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I completed the shred many months back without any knee pains. Just tried to pull it out a couple weeks back. I did a few days consecutively, but I stopped when my right knee hurt 24/7. I'm only 19, but it took a while before the pain went away :( Seems pretty easy to injure yourself if you're not careful!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My form was horrible for those too until the second time I did it. When you side lunge, don't bend your knee to go down so much as sitting BACK with your butt. Think of it as sitting back into a chair. It's more of a lunge/squat combo.
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started the shred last week. Always been active and into sports (football/athletics) but never had any sort of problems with my knees. 4/5 days into doing the shred my knees started hurting. So I stopped doing it completely. 2 days ago my knees started clicking every time I walked up/down the stairs or did a squat. Today I went for a run..about 30mins in my left knee was really painful - the first time this has ever happened to me whilst running and I've been doing it for over 10years.
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    im on level 2 day 4 and yes it is hard on my right knee! INSTEAD of jumping jacks I do high knees and the lounges I dont go down that far I more focus on my arms :) my knee still hurts but is getting better! good luck add me if you want
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Im three weeks into 30ds, and i feel your pain....My knees have been hurting the whole time. Level one more than level two though, so im thinking its the Jumping Jacks?? Anyway, it seems to be getting better....and i am quite happy with the results thus far.....no pain no gain i guess! :)
    :huh:
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So I'm only on day 4 lvl one of the shred. I have done 53 days of Insanity without having any issues with my right knee above the knee cap.

Now after doing 3 days (haven't done it yet today) of the shred the top of my knee is hurting. I do great up until the side lunges with the lateral raise with weights. The second go around I don't even use the weights and it still hurts. I'm not sure if I'm doing the move right but it looks like I am or if its just that stressful on my knees which the doc said I shouldn't do.

Anyone have any advice? I've read a butt load of reviews on it and most of them said they didn't have knee problems until they started the shred.

30 day shred really messed my knees up, I just stopped doing it all together.
  • beckminster
    Options
    It truly is hard on the knees. Both my workout buddy and I (alumni of the 30 Day Shred Academy) had knee problems when we started the shred. (Though not the Ripped in 30 workout, which I think is harder, go figure.) But yes, modify the things that hurt and it really will get better as you get stronger. I also took advil and also turmeric capsules.