30 day shred getting a bad rep...

Options

Replies

• cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I did the first week of the shred, and for the first time in my life developed tendonitis in my right knee. I wouldn't swear it was the shred, since nothing seemed all that difficult. But I do read the same concerns over and over again. It's been weeks, and my knee is just now getting back to normal.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 DS for several months without any problem. I suspect that people who are having knee problems are either not maintaining the correct form or had pre-existing knee issues. Jillian says you push out your butt - if you do this, you will achieve the right form.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    DON't LET YOUR KNEE GO IN FRONT OF YOUR FOOT!!!

you want to keep the knee back when it is bent so you have a 90 degree angle on your leg

If the knee is pushing forward it strains it and is absolutely not good.

Sit back farther in the squat, really put your butt behind you, don't thrust your hips forward even though it feels like you'll get more balance it is terrible for the knees...

This is for every kind of squat
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    perhaps try substituting the moves for something which puts less stress on your knees, but still works the same muscles? I tend to substitute every move I can't do for squats as they work the whole of my my butt and thighs the best!! :)

If you still want to do the move, you could try just holding the side lunge position and doing the arm raises as it wont put the same pressure on your knee as when you constantly step in and out of it (or 'fall' into position with your whole weight as i seem to)!

I also substitute this way.
    Heck, I even substituted "running in place" or other cardio things like boxing in place of the jumping jacks because they were hurting me. The first time I did the shred I even had to do my pushups against the wall! No harm in modifying until you build up some strength!
  • curiousheathy
    curiousheathy Posts: 108
    Options
    For years I did sports where I was squatting/ on my knees a lot. (Dancing, goal keeper for my soccer team). With that being said, my knees have suffered over the years. Pair that with genetics (both my parents have early onset arthritis) my knees to hurt.

Yesterday my knees were bothering me. I tried to lessen the range of motion and that seemed to help.

I did the shred last year and I was happy with what I saw.

Try modifying as much as you can. But with someone who has bad knees, it can be tough.

Just be careful! You know your body best!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Goosiesnougs Posts: 420
    Options
    Like the others said.......sit way back with your a*s. Follow Anita if you need to :happy:
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That's weird...I have a terrible left knee. I've had problems since high school. But I'm on Day 15 of 30DS and have had zero problems with it. I guess everyone's body reacts differently.
  • jojospaghettio
    jojospaghettio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am trying the Shred for a second time and I have had knee problems with other workouts. If anything gets close to pulling on my knees, I back off and do a job in place or walk in place while they finish that particular move on the video. I do not add the weights on the side lunges and do not complete the full set of reps on the other lunges. Try adding in other knee strengthening exercises or something else just to keep you moving during those segments, and that should help. I am hoping that eventually I will be able to do lunges again, but it is not worth hurting myself in the mean time. Hope that helps.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    Just a side note, any rehabilitation trainer will tell you, to strengthen a joint you will want to build the muscle around the joint

The knee is a joint that needs support, which is what your muscles are for.... movement and support, that is it...

skeletal bones are for structure, they need strong muscles.... There are many exercises, just google it.

Once the muscles around the knee are strengthened squats won't be a problem
  • Laura_emoore
    Options
    Am i the only one where the 30 Day Shred is fixing my knee problem? I've had a bad right knee for several years and after having a baby 9 months ago, both my knees ache if i leave them bent at an angle for too long. But i started doing the Shred and the pain is starting to go away and my right knee doesn't crack as much as it did when i go up the stairs.

I will say, though, that my left knee started to make cracking noises, the first few days after i started 30DS, every time i went up the stairs. But it's gone away now. Maybe bad form and i fixed that?
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    ummm. wouldn't the simple answer be just don't do those lunges?

I was going to say the same thing, some days my knees bother me and so I don't go as deep into my lunges or squats, or if my foot is bothering me, I will jog in place rather than do a move that I feel exacerbates it.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    Am i the only one where the 30 Day Shred is fixing my knee problem? I've had a bad right knee for several years and after having a baby 9 months ago, both my knees ache if i leave them bent at an angle for too long. But i started doing the Shred and the pain is starting to go away and my right knee doesn't crack as much as it did when i go up the stairs.

I will say, though, that my left knee started to make cracking noises, the first few days after i started 30DS, every time i went up the stairs. But it's gone away now. Maybe bad form and i fixed that?

This is because you have strengthened the muscle around the knee joint.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have no problems doing squats and lunges with free weights, working out on my own, but when I tried to do Ripped in 30 (similar to 30DS), it was awful on my knees. I only made it through 3 or 4 days before I stopped. I have done Jillian's Making the Cut program out of her book, which includes lots of lunges and squats, and never had a problem. Strange.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    hmmmm, the problem you seem to be having is tight quads (they connect to the patella-knee cap- via tendons). This comes from doing modified movements with squats and lunges (not doing the full range of motion downward). Instead of doing the side lunge do full squat, just as effective and better on your body.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    you are probably rushing the lunges to stay with the video and are losing form... it happens
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I also had knee pain with the side lunges...I had to do modifications to the exercise in order to complete the circuitttt
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    hmmmm, the problem you seem to be having is tight quads (they connect to the patella-knee cap- via tendons). This comes from doing modified movements with squats and lunges (not doing the full range of motion downward). Instead of doing the side lunge do full squat, just as effective and better on your body.

I stalked your page and wanted to tell you I love your hair...

I'm a deep red head but love the bright volcano of greatness that is your hair color.... just thought i'd give you props
  • SnuggleXPuff
    SnuggleXPuff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of level one and I haven't had any problems with my knees. I do have to admit that that move is my least favorite move to do so far. It doesn't bother my knees, just my shoulders. Really bad too. Usually I can only do 5-6 reps and I have to stop.

As far as what you should do, I agree with the others who said to either check your form or just replace it with a less painful, but still effective move.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've had knee surgery 3 times on the right knee and strangely I had no pain beyond the 'sore muscle' pain. Definitely modify if you want to keep doign it. There are many exercises that I modify. I do wall push-ups because I don't have the arm strength yet to do a real one, and I can't kneel on my right knee to do the modified version. Focus on form, not rushing to do as many as they do.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of level one and I haven't had any problems with my knees. I do have to admit that that move is my least favorite move to do so far. It doesn't bother my knees, just my shoulders. Really bad too. Usually I can only do 5-6 reps and I have to stop.

As far as what you should do, I agree with the others who said to either check your form or just replace it with a less painful, but still effective move.

The shoulder burn will lessen over time, most likely somewhere at the beginning of level 2.... good job pushing to the six though...