Skim Milk or Almond Milk?

Options
13»

Replies

• gogirl110
    gogirl110 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk. Love it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has next to no protien (1g) vs 8-9 for skim milk. So unless you are lactose intolerant I would go for skim.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk, so I stick to Almond Milk most of the time. I get the unsweetened one; less carbs and no sugar (made the mistake of purchasing the 'original' once and it's full of sugar). Skim milk still has 11g of sugar per cup...
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has next to no protien (1g) vs 8-9 for skim milk. So unless you are lactose intolerant I would go for skim.

True. If you're short on protein you could stick to skim milk.
    I use almond milk mostly for protein shakes (I add about 25g protein in it) and I'm always over so it isn't a concern for me anymore. But yes, it could be for some people.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I was allergic to milk as a child...not lactose intolerant. That came later. I would have an asthma attack due to the respiratory issues milk created so I never developed a taste for it. I use Almond Milk for most everything. Still don't drink it straight so I stick to the unsweetened original.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    You should just drink whichever you prefer. There is no right answer to this question.

Sure, Almond milk has more fat, but the fat comes from almonds--healthy fat.
    Sure, Skim milk has more sugar, but it's lactose--healthy sugar.

Almond milk is more processed (but skim milk isn't "processed free"), so if you're looking for "whole" foods, the skim milk is a better choice. But whole milk is best.

Almond milk ingredients: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2, D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

Skim milk ingredients: Fat Free Milk, Nonfat Dry Milk, Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin E, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin).

So, in the end. Go with what you enjoy. I use both and whole milk too. It all depends on my calories/macros for the day and what I'm doing with it. (Seriously, cooking with almond milk doesn't have the best consequences.)
  • bajannadz
    bajannadz Posts: 13
    Options
    I LOVE coconut milk!!! or rice milk depends on my mood! LOL I don't drink cows milk.

YUP!! coconut almond milk is greatt
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond. I also really like the new almond/coconut combo.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so I drink almond milk.
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love skim milk. Never tried almond.
  • Lad519
    Lad519 Posts: 3
    Options
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk., healthier less sugar
  • learningloveandpeace
    learningloveandpeace Posts: 5 Member
    Options

THIS.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. We use 2% in our house since we have a toddler and just don't go through enough milk on our own as adults to justify buying skim. If I'm eating a kid cereal or baking, cow's milk. If I'm having oatmeal raisin crisp cereal, soy milk. If I'm making a smoothie, almond milk. I like the almond milk for practical reasons: buy it by the case at Costco, and it lasts a while. And since the boxes are 1 liter instead of 1 gallon milk jugs, we can go through them in smoothies in the one week that they are good.

How's that for odd?
  • mmsv
    mmsv Posts: 3
    Options
    Almond milk all the way! The fat comes from nuts, which it good for you and you body needs good types of fat!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    almond so long as it has added calcium
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You should just drink whichever you prefer. There is no right answer to this question.

Sure, Almond milk has more fat, but the fat comes from almonds--healthy fat.
    Sure, Skim milk has more sugar, but it's lactose--healthy sugar.

Almond milk is more processed (but skim milk isn't "processed free"), so if you're looking for "whole" foods, the skim milk is a better choice. But whole milk is best.

Almond milk ingredients: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2, D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

Skim milk ingredients: Fat Free Milk, Nonfat Dry Milk, Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin E, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin).

So, in the end. Go with what you enjoy. I use both and whole milk too. It all depends on my calories/macros for the day and what I'm doing with it. (Seriously, cooking with almond milk doesn't have the best consequences.)

you could always make your own almond milk... then the ingredients would be Almonds and Water.