I can't control my eating.

Options

Replies

• KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I feel eating is an addiction for me the way drinking, smoking or gambling is for others. The problem with being an addictive eater is that you cannot remove yourself from your addiction 100%. You don't have to drink alcohol or smoke, but you do have to eat. Others that have replied have said that tracking your calories helps, and it does. It is such an eye opener. 3500 calories equals a pound. Once you've consumed 3500 more calories than you've burned (whether in a day or a week or more), you gain a pound. And if you burn more than you lose, once your burn has exceeded your consumption by 3500 calories, you lose a pound (again, whether in a week or a month or whenever). It is SHOCKING how many calories you can consume in a day (at least I've shocked myself) and a few workouts a week doesn't come even close to burning what you've consumed. I find that tracking every single calorie helps me. And it doesn't do you any good to lie when inputting your calories. Be 100% honest and be accurate with how you measure the food. I also find that if I start the day out eating something bad for breakfast, I crave junk all day. But if I start out with something healthy, I do much better. Also, if you have one bad thing, don't write off the whole day (I have a tendency to do that). Be good the rest of the day so you minimize the damage, and start the next day anew.

Good luck. I totally understand how you feel. I'm struggling to lose weight I gained in two pregnancies cause I used them as excuses to eat everything I wanted. It's hard, but it's worth it.
  • robynjsmith
    Options
    Skinny Cow Can help with the cravings. It's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good. Most of the products are 110 calories. They have ice cream, candy, and wafers.
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    What's going through my head is a pig headed greed of wanting what I want. Nothing else matters except getting hold of that food. Feels like a drug, but I know that's being melodramatic.

You actually AREN'T being melodramatic, this is simply the way most addictions work.....

I compared myself and my food problem to being an alcoholic all the time completely understand.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm a big guy, only 8 weeks in, and I'm now just under 200 pounds overweight. When I started MFP, I believe my calorie allotment for the day was around 2350. It's now down to 2230. Your post inspired me to go into my food diary, and create a typical day's food intake... BEFORE I started eating better and exercising.

-2070 calories! I was eating almost twice the recommended calories, and that's based on my weight now. Feel free to look through my diary, and look at what I put in for tomorrow (Friday, the 11th). Compare that to what I eat today, and how much different my eating patterns are now.

You can do this, but only if you truly want to. Everyone has their moment of clarity. Mine was March 19th of this year. I hope yours is today, or very, very soon.
  • iamnotashley
    iamnotashley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too sweetie... the people commenting here lightly as if it's some kind of switch you can turn off are wrong. I'm a binge eater for a variety of reasons, similar to yours. It is very hard to lessen the way I eat. I'm not sure if the urge ever goes away, but you have to absolutely fight the urge. AVOID THE KITCHEN AND AREAS WITH FOOD as much as you can. It's very hard to do so, especially if you're the only person in the house and stuff... but try to do it. I'd say drink lots of water if you can, because it definitely gets you hooked onto drinking something. Maybe find a new hobby, one that doesn't remind you of food, that you can distract yourself with. I have a computer, and while sitting all day isn't healthy, I make sure to exercise everyday OUTSIDE, that means walking. If you walk outside, you are not tempted by food. If you have to, bring water, this will distract you. Anything that is able to distract you from food, do it. It's alright to eat the same foods, as long as you eat less. That's all a binge eater can hope for, eating less, gradually. Maybe adding in a few raw veggies with your meals, or lettuce. Lettuce is another food that will help you get full, without the calories. I personally found out that when I'm full, I have a less desire to eat 2-5 hours later than I would as if I wasn't full. I wish you the best, binge eating is really a struggle to get over.
  • kschubot
    kschubot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend reading the book Full-filled by Renee Stephens. It's not a diet book but tries to help guide you into why you are eating the way you are. I found it super helpful before I joined MPF into figuring out why I was binging and over snacking. Helped me figure out how to change my thoughts on food.
  • miamauri
    miamauri Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi i really feel for you, so much of what u posted rang true for me too. i think we eat because something is wrong in our lives and for some people eating is the coping mechanism. the trick is identifying what is missing - not easy. for me a problem with my back has triggered a rethink about what my coping strategy is doing to me, ie screwing up my back. Be reassured taking control has its own rewards and the release of all that guilt u probably feel at your eating habits is such a relief.
    please add me as a friend i really identify and sincerely wish you well, i would be happy to offer support and hopefully u could do the same for me if im having a crappy day. x
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Due to a bad childhood, I used food to cope and have continued that habit into my adult life. Recently I discovered the Food Addicts Anonymous plan http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/faa-food-plan and decided to give it a try. Today is my first day on it, but so far I have not really thought about food I am satisfied when I'm done and I'm not eating every hour. It will definitely taking getting used to. Most people say everything in moderation, but for some people that just isn't an option. I can't go buy a bag of chips and only eat 10, I eat the whole thing. I can't buy bread because I will eat 5 sandwiches not 1. This plan is one of the few that just made so much sense to me.
  • francoles
    francoles Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.foodsanity.com/ I saw this free e-book posted in another thread here about binge eating. It made a lot of sense to me, could help others out who find their eating uncontrollable :) sorry if it already was posted!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ok, in what scenarios were you able to overcome the urge?

Only outside interferrence has stopped me getting the foods I've wanted. No cash. Shops closed. There's been times I've been too lazy to go but I've left the flat in the early hours of the morning and walked for miles alone to the nearest garage to get chocolate.

That's a serious urge :) I'm too lazy or ashamed to buy junk food, but I can't usually stop myself from eating it if it's in front of me. I started doing better about what I was eating when I really started looking at what was in a normal range and what I was actually eating. The idea of eating 20 teaspoons of sugar is insane to me, but that's about what is in a milkshake. Look at how many calories you should be eating and then start to cut back. This isn't a race. Junk food is a hard addiction to overcome, but you can do it.

I write on my MFP wall when I'm about to crack and the support here is amazing! You are not in this alone.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm a binge eater. But I am alot better than I used to be, because I trained and in someways, punished my body into being disciplined. Everything you said sounds so like me! What worked for me two years ago, was beginning the South Beach Diet, I had never tried restricting my unhealthy eating habits before so this was a MAJOR shock to my body. It made me follow food rules that have truely suck with me to this day, and believe me, when Phase 2 began I had never appreciated a piece of fruit or healthy carb so much in my life.

The first two weeks are really tough, but it's just something that will help you so much if you have the determination to stick to it, it will really change your perspective to food I think :) . Good Luck!
  • TheBigBoots
    TheBigBoots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think the first step in getting these feelings under control is being open to the possibility that you really can do it. I heard someone say the other day, 'Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, either way you're probably right." Thoughts have power. If you don't think you can control your eating then you probably won't. But the thing is, deep down, you KNOW you can because you did it when you were pregnant. That clearly illustrates that you have it in you to do this because you've done it before. Hang on to that! :)

Also, I agree with what others have said. For me, logging your daily intake is key. it sucks at first. I'd never done it before I downloaded the MFP app a few weeks ago as I love food and always found the idea of logging all my calories a boring and joyless experience. But once I started doing it, I realized that it's empowering. I didn't realize how ignorant I was about food before and that ignorance was like a free pass for me to make a lot of poor choices. I find it a lot easier not to make those choices anymore because I am now accountable to myself for what I eat. Trust me, it works.

Lastly, working out regularly changes you life. It starts to make you think about food not solely as enjoyment or comfort but as fuel. When I eat a bunch of crap, I have a crappy workout. When I eat well, I can run farther and lift more and generally feel better. So in the end, it's not so much about giving up foods a love. It's about gaining confidence and feeling great. I say this not as someone who has always been an athlete but as one who has now been inspired to become one.

You can totally do this! You just have to believe that you can. Feel free to add me for support if you need some.

And good luck! :)
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Can help with the cravings. It's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good. Most of the products are 110 calories. They have ice cream, candy, and wafers.

This might help someone who can stop at just one. When you end up eating the entire package, 6-12 servings, you are in the same boat and telling yourself it's better because it's "diet" food.
  • LIZETHZ7304
    LIZETHZ7304 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I KNOW EXCACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN, I TOO AM A BINGE EATER AND ANYONE WHO HASNT GONE THROUGH IT WONT UNDERSTAND YOU.

You see I eat and eat and eat and even though I Know Im doing wrong and even though I know im going to regret and feel horrible after eating it I still do, I have thankfully managed to slow down and praying I can eventually stop for good.

See I loveeee junk food and feel the need to always be munching!! Now heres what I do and I hope these tips can help you also as they have been with me.

First I stop and think of how I'm going to feel after I eat it, and If i know I'm going to feel horrible for what eating all that food, I stop and only grab half the size of what ever I was going to eat and only eat that. Eventually I was able to not eat it at all.

Secondly (this might sound stupid) I carry in my phone a picture of how I used to look and look at it every time I feel the need to munch.

When I see the chips and Im going for them I keep reminding myself "FOOD DOES NOT CONTROL ME" and that might sound stupid but anytime I can walk away from any junk food I feel powerful and proud of myself I feel sooooo happy that I was able to put that down!

Eventually now Im able to have a bag of chips (the big party size bags) in the pantry and only grab afew (5 chips or so). This did take some time and lots of tears trust me.

I was 216 lbs and have managed to get down to 169 I still have lbs to go, but from time to time I feel powerless towards food but I know eventually I will overcome this eating disorder that I have. Because deep down I will always love food and especially junk food, But Im tired of being unhealthy and there will come a day when you also wake up and say "NO MORE, IM DONE LIVING THIS WAY AND IM READY TO CHANGE! FOOD DOES NOT CONTROL ME" and on that day you will be sooo proud of yourself trust me.

I remember looking online and wishing someone could take me away to a camp away from food or something to help me but I realized no one can help me I have to help myself first.

If you would like msg me and maybe we can exchange numbers and you can text me when you feel weak and we can motivate eachother. Best of luck.

Liz
  • determined136
    determined136 Posts: 332
    Options
    I suggest that you join the Binge Eating Support Group. We all help each other.
  • sparklygrneyes
    Options
    Hi and thanks for sharing your story. I have read all of your responses and it sounds like you may be suffering from a food addiction. I am a counselor and have seen this many times. I would recommend that you seek counseling services. There are numerous food addicts meetings as well where you can find support. You must first deal with the mental before you will see changes in the physical. There could be countless reasons why you cannot stop yourself. Many people use food as a way to cope, to self-soothe, to feel better. It may be helpful for you to become aware of this so you can understand your reactions and therefore, work on controlling impulses to eat. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best of luck!
  • robynjsmith
    Options
    [/quote]

This might help someone who can stop at just one. When you end up eating the entire package, 6-12 servings, you are in the same boat and telling yourself it's better because it's "diet" food.
    [/quote]

This is true you cant eat the whole package. However, it does help with the cravings (I use to eat one or two Hershey's with Almonds daily). Which was my point. I love to eat when I'm happy, sad, alone, with a group, etc.......

It's hard for all of us because you cant get away from food. I love this blog because most of the people here are in the same boat. I am engaged into a family of thing women. All family functions I'm the heavy woman. Althought I've extreemly beautiful you have to asert yourself and be more confident.

You can do it. Have faith in yourself because we are all here for you. Positivity is also the key. If you have negative attitude and let in negative comments you'll have negative results.
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing until I got on a scale on saw how much I actually weighed. I thought about what I was doing to myself and my daughter and what I was teaching her. I decided if I ever wanted to feel good about myself I had to make a change. So when I would get my groceries I would only buy the healthy food and started a plan where I ate 5x a day. (3 meals 2 snacks) I was always eating. Would eat from all the food groups. Would not deprive myself from anyone and definitely ate breakfast. I give myself 1 cheat meal a week and every once in a while I give myself some cookies or cake. No pop only juice,water and milk. (use to be a diet cola-a-holic) When I did this I noticed that the cravings for junk food ceased. I was never extremely hungry and lost 50 lbs in 3 months with exercise. Plus a lot of prayer helped me as well. Once you make the first step and see success your new drug will be the high you get from losing weight and feeling better about yourself. That alone will keep you motivated to continue on your journey. You can do it! Plus if you slip up just think about the old adage of falling off a horse....you get back up and try again. Good luck to you!
  • luluwubu
    luluwubu Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied on this post, I have read each and every one of your comments.

I started this topic because I knew as much to know that my weight issues are not a simple case of changing how I prepare my food, or changing the time of day I eat, swapping full fat/sugar drinks for diet versions etc. I don't eat when I'm hungry as I don't feel hungry, in the same way I don't feel full. I eat until the food has gone ... and hours later I will lie in bed and become so overheated and sick.

I went to see a doctor recently and she mentioned that I am a prime candidate for weight loss surgery. That was a bit of a shcok if I'm honest, made me realise that I have a problem here. I don't want surgery, it's not for me. I do however need to lose this weight, I'm 36, I already have several health problems related to my weight. I can give up smoking at the flick of my fingers and did so, I just need to make that same connection with the food.

I know that in some of your replies you mentioned that perhaps I may be someone who needs help with underlining issues, but for now I'm not ready to go down that road. I still feel that I will be able to overcome this alone and I will try.

Tomorrow I will go for a walk. That is tomorrow's goal.

Once again, thank you to each and everyone of you for taking the time to reply to this post, tonight I feel stronger because of you.

Louisa xx
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but my advice: you need to seek professional help for your disordered eating.