2012 Bench Press Standards - Male & Female

Options
2»

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I figured. I was too. I wish I could get anywhere near 395. I'm stuck below 330
    So small guys have to bench twice their bodyweight, but the rest of us can slack and still be elite?

That's sweet.

I'm in the 240 group.........I don's see putting up 395 as slacking......I am only advanced

I was mostly teasing. My interpretation was always 1.5x body weight was considered advanced, 2x bw = elite.

By the way.. 395 is an impressive bench imo.
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    Advanced on a good day! Hopefully elite sometime within a year.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were just talking about this during dinner! Are you supposed to count the weight of the bar too or just the plates?
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    Add the bar, which is usually 45 lbs by itself.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Is this supposed to be 1RM? No conclusion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    This doesn't take into consideration the age of the participants. Obviously if a teen and a senior weighed the same, there would be a difference in strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm elite!

for a female.

haha. Advanced only. But I'm inbetween the two weight classes
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this supposed to be 1RM? No conclusion.

Per the site, "The performance standards are adult standards (>18 years old) for a single maximal repetition (1RM) based on competitive weightlifter and powerlifting classification systems in use from the 1950's to present."
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well if this is for 1 rep in an about to brain hemorage state I'm in the advanced zone, haha.. Don't think I could ever get elite although it is a good goal to shoot for I guess. I've been thinking about changing up my bench stance a bit to try and get more power...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Woo! Currently intermediate, but hopefully from Monday I will be advanced (shooting for new 1RM then)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Interesting that so many people actually know their 1 rep max on the bench. (I had to go calculate mine)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Interesting that so many people actually know their 1 rep max on the bench. (I had to go calculate mine)

i always calculate it. i only know my 5RM, for most of my lifts.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

I actually test mine every so often when I feel like I'll make a new PR. (I always have a spotter though, it seems quite a few people don't) I never find online calculators to be all that accurate, often telling me I can do more than I know I can. :ohwell:
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i benched 500 but then took a arrow to the knee
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sorry I did not include the source. I was having so much trouble trying to format the post I deleted everything I could out of frustration.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    242.00........................... 145.00 190.00 230.00 315.00 395.00
    275.00........................... 150.00 195.00 240.00 325.00 405.00

I weigh 230 now and I just started back about 4 or 5 months ago in the gym. I'm at 350 lbs.on the flat and 330 on the incline.
    10 years ago I weighed 270 and did 505 on the flat bench and 405 on the incline bench all raw. So I guess I'm advanced now but Elite+ back in the day. Bottom line? Whats your point?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a 1RM in over 20 years and even then I don't think I've done over 265. Based on that info, I'd be no better than intermediate in for my weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    This for the average person? Because its not a good representation for competitive lifters.
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    @Z_I_L_L_A - It is for everyone but you are right power lifters would find this low. My oldest son began weight lifting at 16, body building competition at 19. Today 20 years after beginning he benches over 400 and leg presses over 1,600 and weighs about 220. He still usually trains with professional body builders and power lifters 5 - 6 days a week. He goes to an XSport gym in Illinois which is one of the few in the area with 200 lb. dumbbells. He uses them for back rowing, shrugging and assisted lifts for chest and shoulders.