Attachment parenting and that Time cover...

Options

Replies

• nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own.

But the picture on the cover was obviously meant to shock and bring up discussion, my guess is that Time magazine's circulation department is down and they are looking to drum up some business.

This! I tried to BF my daughter as long as possible which ended up being only 1 month due to illness. I think its up to the mother what they want to do. If other people dont like it, look away. I wouldn't BF my child till that age, i think 2years is plenty.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I don't care about breastfeeding in public necessarily, just attempt to be discreet.

BUT, I really do not get mothers who attempt to be natural in every other aspect of their child rearing and then do the "child led" weaning.

Ever seen a mother cat and her babies when it's time to wean? She kicks the crap out of them to teach them to get used to doing without it. That's nature. It's natural for the mother to say "yup, time for you to stop that." The child does none of the "leading" because, well, they're an immature being with limited capacity for decision-making as determined by their biology (under- developed frontal lobe being a major factor in humans...duh.)

If a kid has teeth in their head and can hold a cup, they should eat solid food on their own. If they can ask for it in complete sentences, they're probably too old. I do not buy the 3+ years of breastfeeding as being necessary or natural.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I nursed all 4 of our children...the first two children for 18 months each, the next child for 10 months, our last child for 20 months.
    After seeing this pic and the headline--these quotes come to my mind:

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

b4887c0a.jpg

We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention. ~Author Unknown

Are right and wrong convertible terms, dependant upon popular opinion? ~William Lloyd Garrison

The world has achieved brilliance without conscience. ~Omar Bradley

You taught me to be nice, so nice that now I am so full of niceness, I have no sense of right and wrong, no outrage, no passion. ~Garrison Keillor

Fame is proof that the people are gullible. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe that one of the great problems for us as individuals is the depression and the tension resulting from existence in a world which is increasingly less pleasing to the eye. ~Lady Bird Johnson

[H]istory assures us that civilizations decay quite leisurely. ~Will and Ariel Durant, Lessons of History

It is madness beyond compare
    To try to reform the world.
    ~Molière, The Misanthrope, 1666

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~Marcus Aurelius
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Sorry. Misinterpretation. Your sentence, grammatically, reads as if you called your baby "it." I carried my baby in, sleeping, in the car carrier, and set it down next to me. <~~ remove the "fluff" between the commas, and you have "I carried my baby in and set it down next to me."

Sometimes my love of grammar makes me read things too literally, I suppose.

I guess, while it wouldn't be grammatically incorrect if I had called my baby "it", you found it otherwise incorrect. Thank you for correcting whichever error you prefer. Good job out-momming me, but I still have more kids, so that must count for something. :tongue:

Wasn't trying to "out-mommy" you... but since you brought it up, I actually have five children.

I seriously read your "friend" bashing post and thought in the midst of that post that you called your baby "it." That isn't even correct, actually, in grammar either. The proper pronoun for a female is she; proper pronoun for a male is he.

I said sorry for the misinterpretation. Don't get your panties in a wad.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

Yes. This. As a mom that is currently breastfeeding a 4 year old and a 2 year old (tandem), I rarely stand like that and have my breast that way. I love child led weaning. I love that my body continues to give my children antibodies (no; they do NOT outgrow this need at a year, as a child's immune system is not fully developed until somewhere around age 6) and nutrition. I don't force them to nurse (much to the surprise of people who say that moms who BF past a year only do it for themselves). BF is hard. BF for four years is harder! It isn't for myself! It's for my babies. However, we never have any tacky displays of it. We are discreet.

Though I'll tell anyone about it. ;)

Just curious - do your kids eat food too or just breastmilk?

They eat food. My 4 year old is in the process of weaning himself and nurses every other day, occasionally once a day for a few days and then back to every other day. My almost 2 year old nurses probably six or seven times a day. Sometimes it's just because he's been hurt and needs some mommy comfort. Sometimes it's after he has eaten and he is thirsty. He doesn't drink cow's milk at all. The 4 year old drinks soy milk because he's cow's milk protein intolerant (which had nothing to do with my nursing him; it was not discovered until he was around 2 and I tried to give him a little milk).
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of my Daughters for around 6 months. At that point I quit producing milk. I would have done it longer, possibly a year.

That cover . . . made me throw up in my mouth. It's disturbing to me. He looks older than 3. Breastmilk is for babies, not for Kindergarteners.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    I don't care about breastfeeding in public necessarily, just attempt to be discreet.

BUT, I really do not get mothers who attempt to be natural in every other aspect of their child rearing and then do the "child led" weaning.

Ever seen a mother cat and her babies when it's time to wean? She kicks the crap out of them to teach them to get used to doing without it. That's nature. It's natural for the mother to say "yup, time for you to stop that." The child does none of the "leading" because, well, they're an immature being with limited capacity for decision-making as determined by their biology (under- developed frontal lobe being a major factor in humans...duh.)

If a kid has teeth in their head and can hold a cup, they should eat solid food on their own. If they can ask for it in complete sentences, they're probably too old. I do not buy the 3+ years of breastfeeding as being necessary or natural.

Right on!!!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That is F***ing SICK!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I tried breastfeeding my son, and sadly, my milk supply was low to begin with (on top of that once we brought him home, he was still breastmilk jaundiced) and even when i pumped, i couldn't produce enough (i couldn't do direct attachment because my nipples were inverted) so sadly almost a month after he was born, i had to stop breastmilk altogether (i was producing less then 10ml a day). Once my 3 month old starts eating solid foods, i will be happy. I was disgusted when I seen that cover for the fact that he is old enough to not be sucking on mom's breasts. I'm sorry, but if i were still able to breastfeed, i probably would wean at 6 months. I know that i kept getting strange looks when i would try to breastfeed, and i always kept a blanket over my chest.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Disgusting, the poor children that are going to have memories of this. Its just wrong on so many levels no matter how it tries to get twisted into being okay.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    Disgusting, the poor children that are going to have memories of this. Its just wrong on so many levels no matter how it tries to get twisted into being okay.

My 12 year old daughter nursed until after her 4th birthday, and she has no recollection of it. My 6 year old daughter (who also nursed until after 4) has only a little recollection of nursing, and I'm not sure she really remembers. I think she thinks she does because the boys nurse...

My 14 year old (who has both nursed and witnessed her siblings nursing AND watched me give birth to my youngest two babies. In fact, all four of my older kids were with me during the birth of my fifth) is the most laid back kid. She's modest, but doesn't freak out about the human body. Just the way I want it. A friend of hers commented about a mom breastfeeding her child at the mall, and my daughter said, "it's just breastfeeding. It's what breasts are made for. What about it?"

'atta girl! :) My kids know how a baby is born and where nature intends them to attain their food.... I don't think that's a problem, and they aren't maladjusted... so I must not be failing them too terribly. ;)
  • Rhea30
    Options

My 12 year old daughter nursed until after her 4th birthday, and she has no recollection of it. My 6 year old daughter (who also nursed until after 4) has only a little recollection of nursing, and I'm not sure she really remembers. I think she thinks she does because the boys nurse...

My 14 year old (who has both nursed and witnessed her siblings nursing AND watched me give birth to my youngest two babies. In fact, all four of my older kids were with me during the birth of my fifth) is the most laid back kid. She's modest, but doesn't freak out about the human body. Just the way I want it. A friend of hers commented about a mom breastfeeding her child at the mall, and my daughter said, "it's just breastfeeding. It's what breasts are made for. What about it?"

'atta girl! :) My kids know how a baby is born and where nature intends them to attain their food.... I don't think that's a problem, and they aren't maladjusted... so I must not be failing them too terribly. ;)

So breastfeeding your kids that old might had given them poor memories? :)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

No. You insinuated that it would, and it would not. They are undamaged. Fear not for the "poor children that are going to have memories of this." They don't remember even just a few years ago!
  • syncynlyn
    syncynlyn Posts: 39
    Options
    I say to each his own. The cover and title are obviously there to shock and nothing else.

I bf my son until he was about 27-29 months old and weaned him at that time because I wanted my body back before my daughter was born (three months after he was weaned). She wasn't as interested in bf as he was and believe me he would watch and ask for a turn :smile: . She only bf until she was 4 months old, she lost interest.

I had no problem bf in public but I will admit that I did not bf my son in public after about month 7. He was better at eating solids and didn't need to eat as often as an infant does.
  • Rhea30
    Options

No. You insinuated that it would, and it would not. They are undamaged. Fear not for the "poor children that are going to have memories of this." They don't remember even just a few years ago!

How sad they're not able to remember things. That happens to my grandparents from time to time.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

How sad they're not able to remember things. That happens to my grandparents from time to time.

Aw... your bash about the "poor children" (who aren't so poor, by the way; breastfeeding literally saved my daughter's life. Oh, the poor thing) didn't quite work out as planned, and you've forgotten to bring your big girl panties, so now you have to try to make digs any way you can?

Poor dear.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options

]

100% Agree! Couldn't have said it better myself!:drinker:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    No one should bash a mother for extended breastfeeding...In other countries it is quite normal to feed beyond a year this way. The normal self weaning age is between 2 and 4 some kids might not go as long some might go longer. Like I said in an earlier post I didn't breast feed at all. But just like I can't stand for people to say poor kids to me when they find out I didn't BF I think it is horrible to say poor kids about someones kids whose mother is doing nothing wrong.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Like I said in another post similar to this one....

I am getting upset with the amount of people telling me to wean my son. He's 14 months. It works for us. He feeds 4 times a day, before and after every time he sleeps. There are so many health benefits, even beyond a year. For both of us, especially with the history of breast cancer in my family. I would have BF my daughter longer except I got pregnant and couldn't. I plan to BF until he naturally weans. If that means he's 3, that's fine. I don't think he'll want that tho. He's already too busy to BF these days. Why sit still with mom when there is a cat to annoy or blocks to build?

To each their own. I agree. This is a shameful attempt at attention grabbing on the part of Time magazine. That's not how a mom would BF a 3 year old anyway. I only read an excerpt this morning since I don't subscribe, but I hope the article is respectful of "Attachment Parenting". At my house, we just call it parenting. LOL

14839892.png