What annoys you at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    machines hoggers! that are not actually working out :grumble:
    Today wanted to use the bench....and the guy was on his phone with his feet resting on the weights :noway:
  • magenbrittni
    Options
    When people get next to me on the elliptical and they stink! It always seems to happen halfway through my workout that some sweaty dude gets on the one next to me. Sometimes it smells so bad I have to move!

I usually don't turn the fan towards me ever, but I had just finished running 1.5 miles on the treadmill and took a break to walk a few min before I finished my last mile. I guess I looked like a red-faced sweaty mess so the older guy that was getting off the bike in front of me turned his fan so it would blow on me. It felt like heaven. Not 5 minutes later after I started running again, this lady comes in and turns the fan without asking! It still pisses me off!

Or when women stare at me while I'm lifting weights. My legs are VERY strong. I can almost lift the maximum 300 lbs. on a lot of the leg machines. I can't stand it when they stare. It brings back the same insecurities I had about my legs in high school.
  • shobelitz
    shobelitz Posts: 34
    Options
    proud men who spend 3/4 of the time checking themselves out in the mirror while flexing every muscle there is in the body.. lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    What annoys me is when I am doing my thing on the Elliptical and some person wants to ask me where the tv remote is, or if they can change the channel. I AM IN THE ZONE!!! Bugger off with that crap. (by the way, everyt ime I have my Ipod..so clearly I don't care about the TV)

Noise cancelling ear-buds have become my best friend at the gym AND at work....
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    MEATHEADS...you know who you are...

Same ones that dont rack their weights, same ones that slam the weights down, same ones that go to the gym to hold the equipment up so it doesnt dont fall over, oh and the ones that are screaming with every rep (really is that 15lb DB that heavy...), And all the rest of the folks that suffer from F*#karounditis....
    ^^^^^^ the truth is up there ^^^^^^^^
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can relate to everything everyone is saying on here. I find it difficult to even have the energy to go to the gym some days because I simply don't want to deal with the stares and the egos that are associated there.

I am a big person - the only thing that motivated me to get a membership at the gym is that I truly want this for me this time. I've never been more motivated to get rid of this weight than I am now. And I'd like to think that people who see me at the gym at least see I am putting in the effort to get rid of this weight. Some days I work so hard, I leave dripping sweat (it's disgusting but a good feeling). However, the things that annoy me at the gym are the guys who constantly have to hit on a woman there. This is completely not a jealousy thing - I am happily married lol - but it is soooooooooo annoying! *Most* women go there to really work out, not to be hit on. And I just hate when a guy slumps his arms around the treadmill with the "sooo...do you come here often?" kind of swagger. Give me a break. Go back to your weights and leave her alone! It happens often and it is really distracting so I get annoyed quite a bit with it! There is also always at least one guy while I am there who is lifting weights that slams them back down when he is done with his reps. I don't truly think it is intentional but it is annoying. LOL

Okay I'm done griping! Sorry for my rant! Good luck everyone :)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack
    Dips in the squat rack
    Military presses in the squat rack
    Talking in the squat rack

Taking a squat in the squat rack
  • delmc1
    Options
    i love this post ,i thought i was angry man in the gym getting pissed off looking at people not putting weights back ,wiping down machines ,taking to long with bench or racks ,phones and all the other crap that does our heads in while we try to do a session .but thanks everybody for being as angry as me

P.S for the people who say they never notice people like that .it might just be your one of them people
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    Wow, you all have some weird-*kitten* people at your gyms. We have the intense people who work out in the weight room with their rippling musculature, then the average Joe's who just walk the treadmills slowly, but I've yet to see any of the crazies people mention here.. Maybe I'm just not there often enough to see them. Or they only come out during a full moon.

My only annoyance with my gym is the lack of fans in the cardio room. I get that the point of working out is to sweat, but I sweat enough for three people when I'm outside with a breeze. Inside a stuffy room running like a crazed hamster in a cage my body goes into overdrive and it's like "Jumanji" when the monsoon hits the house and everyone gets swept away. Except instead of people caught in the current, it's my glasses, and they literally fall off my nose.

Oh, yeah, I'm one of those sexy people. Rawr.
    lol!!! im right there with you!! but a lot of people like to be on the treadmill at my gym too :/ so i cant sweat in solitude. even worse, the trainer comes over to talk to me and i feel like the horrid lagoon monster with my sweaty self. i work out until im gawd awfully ugly.

pet peevin would be the chicks that like to work out in practically nothing. are you seriously that desperate? are you looking for your dignity as you look around the gym at least 5 times per minute?

or the lady that hopped on the elliptical whilst noshin down on a sucker..why?
  • melissa308
    melissa308 Posts: 12
    Options
    Some of my pet peeves are the good elliptical machines being taken and the 30-minute rule having to be enforced, too many skinny pretty fit folk making this awkward chubby sweaty chick look worse, and this overly-friendly guy with no vocal volume control who is way too chatty with his neighbors on the treadmill.

So, that's why I tend to go super-early. As an added benefit, I get my workout out of the way early and anything else during the day is just sprinkles.
  • herangel3
    herangel3 Posts: 32
    Options
    When your on the treadmill, eliptical etc and with 10 minutes left and the machine quits on you, so you have to move to another machine, if its available and try to get back into the workout.

I am like most people here, I go to the gym to work out not to socialize, pick up men or be noticed by everyone. I put my music on, do my workout and go home. I am polite to those around me, try not to hog the equipment and put things back in the proper place. And I try not to walk in someones space when they are working out, but sometimes gyms put stuff so close together its hard not to. I will applogize to the person if I do. I try not to notice too much around me but sometimes you can't help see what walks in front of you. I would never be so rude as to talk about someone else like those women did, out loud in such a public place when they clearly have issues themselves. I am surprised the gym staff didn't comment on their choice of beverage in the gym. One spill and theres a sticky ice coffee mess all over.

Those women are some of the reason others don't go to the gym. People don't want to be judged and are insecure about themselves anyway, why put yourself in a position where you feel uncomfortable. While I try to keep to myself, if I see someone that obviously needs to be there, I will make eye contact with them and say hello and be helpful if they ask me questions, and if they are new and are doing something thats not the right etiquete for the gym, equipment hogging, improper lifting position, etc, I will politely take the time to show them the right way. But then most of the time I have my music on and in my own little workout world.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    women that come to the gym with no make up,hair a mess,and any old ratty tee shirt its like OMG ewwww
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of:

1. Going to the gym after work with my hair done and makeup still on.
    2. Taking/replying to a text from my teenage son when he tells me he made it to a destination or taking a call from school to inform me that my kid is sick.
    3. Pushing my limits, trying one set of incredibly heavy weight, and making a little bit of noise both on the lift and when I lower the weights to the ground with a less than graceful landing.
    4. Walking on a treadmill at a slow pace when my knee was in rehab.
    5. Wearing fingerless gloves to lift weights (even the tiny 2-5 lb weights) when working some of my tiny muscles (particularly back and shoulders). Improves grip, control and helps contain sweaty palms.

I must annoy the hell out of the people around me...
  • delmc1
    Options
    I am guilty of:

1. Going to the gym after work with my hair done and makeup still on.
    2. Taking/replying to a text from my teenage son when he tells me he made it to a destination or taking a call from school to inform me that my kid is sick.
    3. Pushing my limits, trying one set of incredibly heavy weight, and making a little bit of noise both on the lift and when I lower the weights to the ground with a less than graceful landing.
    4. Walking on a treadmill at a slow pace when my knee was in rehab.
    5. Wearing fingerless gloves to lift weights (even the tiny 2-5 lb weights) when working some of my tiny muscles (particularly back and shoulders). Improves grip, control and helps contain sweaty palms.

I must annoy the hell out of the people around me...
    yes u do
  • jaqqii
    jaqqii Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't do the gym much I mainly go to classes, but what annoys me the most in these classes is the groaning & grunting from the men in circuits, the guy not putting any resistance on his bike in spin and making out he's working like hell, no deodorant & people walking about the changing room stark naked.....oh please get a towel!!
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The peeker always gets me irritated!!!! You know, when your on your machine and you can see out of the corner of your eye every minute or so the person next to you is looking to see how fast your going/cals burned/time etc. ticks me off sometimes lol. It's like "bro,did you come here to workout or moniter everyone else's workouts?" and don't even get me started on the guy who thinks he knows everything about lifting, my trainer is literally helping me do it man, when was the last time someone paid you for your advice?! Lol sorry I have peeves about some people at the gym

OMG! I think I'm a peeker but not for a bad reason. I feel soooo defeated at the gym. I mean, here I am struggling to run 5 minutes at 5.5 and the gazelle next to me is sprinting for 20 minutes. I just keep on looking at that speed and how many calories they're burning and I'm envious. I kind of use it for motivation. Gonna have to keep my eyes in check now
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    People holding on to the treadmill. I understand that some people have a balance issue but I see A LOT of people holding on. I walk at the steepest incline without holding on and I get a killer work out.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The gym I used to be a member of was in a hotel, so hotel guests could use the gym for free. I had just finished up doing weights and was going for a run on the treadmill. It's a small gym, so there were only four treadmills and three of them were occupied by people actually running and the fourth, it was just this really old guy, walking at like 1mph at MOST. Seriously, can't you just go outside and stroll around casually? After waiting for 10-15 minutes I just gave up and went swimming.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This doesn't annoy me as much as confuse me: women wearing HUGE earings while doing cardio. I used to work in retail selling jewelry, and those big earings will stretch out your ears, and they will look gross. I still wear big earings, but for short periods when going out with friends. Not when I am bouncing around like crazy on the treadmill.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and have never been to the gym. Mainly because I don't like being around people while working out xD

But, I find it interesting that some people are complaining about others mocking people in the gym, and yet the rest of the comment is mocking how they were dressed etc.