TIME magazine and breast feeding a 4 year old

Options
SassyCalyGirl
SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
I personally found the cover pic to be disturbing-what are your thoughts?

Replies

• ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all 3 of my kids, so I don't find it disgusting or disturbing.

BF-ing until the child was 4 is not something I would choose to do personally, but to each their own.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    The kid is 3, not 4.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am not going to question how other parents raise their children, but the cover of the magazine was ridiculous. I am not a mother yet, but stuff like that is the reason women who choose to breastfeed have to put up with so much crap from the rest of the world over what's appropriate and what isn't. That picture made my skin crawl.
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Breastfeeding is by far the best way to go. I understand people not wanting others doing it in public but sometimes there is no other option.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm against Time Magazine for pitting mothers against each other. And doing it on Mother's Day.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has their own opinion. . . .But I just think its gross the way she is doing it. Maybe when they get that old . . just pump and poor it in a cup or something if you must. Personally I think its too old to be breast fed
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    The kid is 3, not 4.

thanks for the correction-even at 3 years old-its disgusting. Not breast feeding itself-just at that age and the cover was just disturbing.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why is it disgusting? That's stupid.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Why is it disgusting? That's stupid.

Yep.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My brother's wife did it until the first kid was, if I recall correctly, about 7 or 8. Their son was a preemie and their chiropractor/homeopathist recommended it at the time. Also he stayed in bed with them until he was about 10. "Attachment parenting", I think they called it. Certainly not my cup of tea, but also none of my damned beeswax.

Their son is now a healthy, well-adjusted, outgoing teenager who is doing very well in school. He's a respectful kid who's a pleasure to be around, he works hard, and he's going to go a long way. Did the breastfeeding help? No idea. It obviously hasn't left any psychological scars or anything. They've got two other younger kids that they weaned earlier in life (not preemies) and they are also good kids who are doing well in school.

There are plenty of ways to raise a child. Caring seems to be the key. Who knew?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear the childs opinion when he grows up.
    I found it disturbing. Not the breast feeding but the picture. I think it is more of the inability of the mother to let go, not the child.
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    Pump it and put it in a cup...you wouldn't keep giving a 3-7 year old milk in a bottle
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My brother's wife did it until the first kid was, if I recall correctly, about 7 or 8. Their son was a preemie and their chiropractor/homeopathist recommended it at the time. Also he stayed in bed with them until he was about 10. "Attachment parenting", I think they called it. Certainly not my cup of tea, but also none of my damned beeswax.

Their son is now a healthy, well-adjusted, outgoing teenager who is doing very well in school. He's a respectful kid who's a pleasure to be around, he works hard, and he's going to go a long way. Did the breastfeeding help? No idea. It obviously hasn't left any psychological scars or anything. They've got two other younger kids that they weaned earlier in life (not preemies) and they are also good kids who are doing well in school.

There are plenty of ways to raise a child. Caring seems to be the key. Who knew?
    Dexter is pleasant. Heh

Press sensationalism is nothing new. In terms of abuse, I can think of much worse.
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    I breast fed my son up until he was around six months old. At that point he was getting to big and it seemed awkward so I started pumping and feeding him with a bottle until he was 1. Breast feeding a 3 or 4 year old just seems wrong. Pump and give it to them in a cup if you feel that they still need breast milk.
    Not sure if anyone watches Game of Thrones but the kid in the first season (I haven't seen the second season yet) sitting there attached to his moms boob at the age of 6 or 7 just grossed me out! I know that is just a tv show but the bad thing is I just came across an article on Boston.com a few weeks ago that talked about a pre-schooler who still breast fed. What the heck is wrong with these people!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I personally find it disgusting-what are your thoughts?

OP - Just curious if you are a mother.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I find it odd, but am not disgusted by it. I guess I am a little curious by it. I mean, my wife breast fed for a year, and my son was just a lot hungrier than what she could provide by the time she stopped. So how does this work? Is it supplemental with a mac n' cheese dinner?

What she's doing doesn't have an adverse affect on me or my family, so I'm fine with her decision to do whatever she wants.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'll add it to the list of "things that don't affect my life even a little."
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mother, I would never tell another Mother how to raise their child or how long to BF, if the Mom and child is comfortable with it then who cares.
    I was given slack for only BF my daughter for a couple months, sometimes us Mom's can never win!!!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my opinions to myself about how others choose to parent.

When my kids were babies, my doctor recommended weaning them at or before 12 months. So, at 12 months, my kids were drinking from sippy cups and had no more bottles or breast.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I personally find it disgusting-what are your thoughts?

In most countries children are breastfed until they wean themselves...usually around ages 3-4. This is not unusual or even discussed in those countries....it is just way of life. In American, breasts are not seen as life-giving, nutrient providers...they are seen as sexual objects. I don't fault you for your opinion. You are just a product of your society.

I nursed my daughter until she was around 15 months. After that I started feeling the presssure of people asking, when are you going to stop doing that already? I didn't let them make up my mind...we were both ready to move on. But I did feel the pressure...I am also a product of our society.