Help ladies before I punch someone... PLEASE

Options
Sugar_Junkie
Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
In need of opinions and please only serious ones. I have crazy mood swings (not just because I am a woman) and absolutely NO PATIENCE. Being a single parent is insanely hard to do sometimes add a bf that only gets off the couch to ask if I need help when I am half way done with everything I need to do, a full time job, a full time side business (the bf’s but we both run it), and all the other issues life randomly throws in your face, I don’t handle stress or change well. Anyway I have been to a couple different docs. One wants to try me on a bagillion different depression meds, which haven’t worked. They either make me so tired that I am sleeping my way through work or they interfere with other meds I take. End result I told her she was just pissing me off because she is treating me for depression which is not my issue—its ANXIETY lady good grief. So the next doc said diet and exercise, and cutting out some things. Ok doc, I exercise daily or at least 4 times a week, I cut out school to focus on my kid and work, and my diet is not bad overall. NONE of this has helped! Do any of you have any suggestions on what may help because I am at my whits end here…..:grumble:

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    St. John's Wort. If your not taking any meds, this would help you with your anxiety and stress. I too am a single mother, and when my daughter was young and I was severely stressed out, this is what I tried and found it helped tremendously.
    Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    On the medication side of things, it might be worth having a balanced conversation with your doctor - just because the medications are antidepressants, it doesn't mean they won't work for anxiety / stress. I am on antidepressants for that very reason. As for the side effects, it really depends on how long you were taking them for, as it can take some time to get used to them - I was a zombie for the first month of taking my current tablets, felt like I had the flu for the first few weeks and couldn't even get out of bed before the afternoon, but it has setlled for me now thankfully.

Meditation? Relaxation sessions? I found tai chi to be very theraputic a few years ago.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice, I'm a total stress head and haven't found a "happy place" for the entirety of my adult life! I always feel like I am just getting somewhere then something else piles on top of all the stress, but I just keep going regardless. Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 4 I know what you are going through. I was told years ago it was Housewives syndrome. I could have punched the doctor but now that my kids are grown and I'm able to look back with an open mind, it was. Being a mother and a housewife is the toughest job you will ever have. You need to go back to the Doctor and find something that works. Sometimes it takes time to see results. Good luck.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    have you tried a talking therapy? like CBT?
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I do NOT advise this, but I keep a reserve pack of cigarettes in my car console for just that purpose. When life gets stressful I just take a few minutes to myself outside and I usually feel better.

Maybe if you could find something that completely relaxes you (hot bubble bath, eating your favorite little treat, etc. ), then no matter what time it is, if you start feeling overwhelmed you can just take a mini-break from life and do this thing. Then when you're done you'll hopefully have a clearer head.

But I have to ask, since this is MFP, do you think perhaps the anxiety is diet related? Are you on a deficit or did you maybe cut out carbohydrates?
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    St. John's Wort. If your not taking any meds, this would help you with your anxiety and stress. I too am a single mother, and when my daughter was young and I was severely stressed out, this is what I tried and found it helped tremendously.

I was just about to recommend that! I take St. John's Wort every day and it has really improved my over all mood. I too have zero patience.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options
    I do NOT advise this, but I keep a reserve pack of cigarettes in my car console for just that purpose. When life gets stressful I just take a few minutes to myself outside and I usually feel better.

Maybe if you could find something that completely relaxes you (hot bubble bath, eating your favorite little treat, etc. ), then no matter what time it is, if you start feeling overwhelmed you can just take a mini-break from life and do this thing. Then when you're done you'll hopefully have a clearer head.

But I have to ask, since this is MFP, do you think perhaps the anxiety is diet related? Are you on a deficit or did you maybe cut out carbohydrates?

I know I have a vitamin d definency-- my diary is open, and as i said the past two weeks havent been good but your free to look back at it and see if that could be a factor. I never thought about it being diet related tho
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options

I was just about to recommend that! I take St. John's Wort every day and it has really improved my over all mood. I too have zero patience.

This sounds like a cheaper alternative to depression meds and I assume it doesnt have all the crazy side effects?.?. I may try this to see if it helps. Thank you
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Options
    have you tried a talking therapy? like CBT?

I used to see a therapist, tho I am not sure what CBT is. It did help having a non-bias party to talk to about things, but $$$$ is an issue when it comes to things like that .
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yoga?
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I went to the dr for anxiety and all they wanted to do is fill me with pills. I didnt want that and they didnt help either so a friend suggested acupuncture. So I started going to the acupuncture dr and yes they treat anxiety. The very first visit I was so much better already it was amazing. I had to go for about 15 more visits until I felt I was done so that can be costly but I would suggest at least once or twice to see if it helps you. Now I go back every other month or so just to keep myself in balance.
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I actually was going to suggest this or passionflower extract. I personally make a passionflower/vervain tea and it really helps me feel very relaxed. Also, if you have trouble sleeping, I would go with a tea made with jamaican dogwood. It's not very tasty so I usually put cinnamon and honey in it, but it helps me sleep SO well.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can feel ya....I was diagnosed with Genralized Aniexty Disorder back when I was in college. I got some help for it and now all I do is I just have to realize certain situations aren't worth fighting or worring about. It's very hard and my Aniexty kicks in ALL THE TIME. I have realized that when I started this journey with my weight loss that my aniexty has went down soooo much and I'm way more happier now. It still shows it's ugly face but I can better control it now. I do agree with your doctor about the exercise and eating right. I had to go on pills for it when I was in college and it did the same to me with being sleepy. I was told that if they make you sleepy then you don't need them so I went off of them. It's just something you have to learn to live with and just take one day at a time. Good luck with everything and just breathe when you feel it kick it!! Thinking about you!
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've found sometimes it helps to just go ahead and punch somone.... :mad:

But if that's not an option, I would say go find a new doctor. It sounds like the one you have is not listening to you, and how you feel, at all. Find someone who actually takes your opinion into account.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    well what kind of anxiety do you have?
    social anxiety?
    panic attacks?
    specific phobias?
    OCD ?
    PTSD?
    Generalized anxiety disorder?
    what meds have you tried and for how long?
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a new boyfriend. One that can do s*it and actually run his own business. That's probably about 50% of your stress right there.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is a personal question. But I know quite a few people who have experienced this. Are you on birth control? I know sometimes certain new birth controls can affect moods.

Also, there are some people who naturally worry a lot. It seems like you are a very reliable and dependent person. You have taken on a lot. So there are people , if you don't have control or if they feel like they can't get things done, they begin to worry or suffer from anxiety. The people around you take advantage of that. Unfortunately, it they have been this way since they were young, it will stick with them as they get older. I am not a therapist, but a therapist should be able to point this out.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you feel stressed or overwhelmed it helps to make a list of things you need to get done. Sometimes everything you have to get done is in your head and you are going from one thing to another. If I make a list, it takes a lot of my mind, and you can cross of as you go. Kind of a feeling of letting some things leave your mind once they are on paper. I don't know if it makes sense, but it helps sometimes. You can go from the most important to the least. Hope you can feel better very soon!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've found sometimes it helps to just go ahead and punch somone.... :mad:

THIS!!
  • debbies807
    debbies807 Posts: 3
    Options
    Are you taking a birth control? My daughter-in-law was on a birth control (sorry don't know which one) and she was having terrible mood swings and getting irritated very easily. She got off the and it's a night and day difference. If you are you might want to do some research on it. Only thing that comes to mind atm.

Good Luck