late period because of eating?

Options
Hey all -
I've been at this for just over a month now - am staying within the guidelines MFP is giving me but am already two weeks late for my period. No chance what so ever of being pregnant and its usually really regular so i imagine its related to the eating change? and slightly more exercise.

Is anyone else experiencing this? it's really sending my emotions off the deep end (and probably messing with my weight gain/loss also) so if there's some way i can regulate this while still doing this that would be a great thing to know.

thanks

Julie

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've experienced much of the same thing. I read in a book this is fairly common based on altering what your body is used to. I'm on my second time of experiencing this and haven't figured out how to regulate it -- I just keep up with my weight loss program and hope that at some point, it returns to normal.
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I haven't had a period since I started losing weight (approx. 2.5 months ago). I am married so duh, I'm having sex but I also take pregnancy tests periodically just to check (no, we aren't trying!) The only reason I'm not totally freaked out is that the last time I was around this weight, I lost my period for about 10 months then it came back.

So, not much help for you but it's good to know that there is someone else out there experiencing the same thing.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think you've got to give it a few months before you can assume you've changed a pattern. Our hormones are regulated by fat stores I think so it could just be that losing fat is changing your hormone levels and your body still needs to catch up with what's happening to it - unless you're very *underweight in which case periods can stop altogether as the body tries to hang on to everything it can to survive!

*sorry, edited
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    Thanks guys. Only other time this happened for me was in highschool when i was basically starving myself - would only last a day or two then back again to normal. I went two years without it i think. And that all makes sense to me.

But now I'm over that 1,200 mark where your body thinks you're starving so i don't get it.

Wondering if i should talk to a doctor?

Do you guys have increased irritability, etc. with the lack of bleeding? It's like PMS but just building up more and more and more.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Only other time this happened for me was in highschool when i was basically starving myself - would only last a day or two then back again to normal. I went two years without it i think. And that all makes sense to me.

But now I'm over that 1,200 mark where your body thinks you're starving so i don't get it.

Do you guys have increased irritability, etc. with the lack of bleeding? It's like PMS but just building up more and more and more.

I would talk to a doctor. I can't say this with certainty so research it yourself, but I'd guess your dietary fat intake is way too low and it's effecting your hormone levels.
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    same thing happened to me. I used to be very regular, never missed, but i haven't had my period in 3 months! I'm getting sort of nervous!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Do you eat your exercise calories back? If you don't that could be the reason bc you are technically not getting the 1200 cals a day.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    depends what you were eating
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    unless you're very overweight in which case periods can stop altogether as the body tries to hang on to everything it can to survive!

Very overweight - meaning ~210 lbs? down ten lbs in the last 30 days.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    [/quote]
    Do you eat your exercise calories back? If you don't that could be the reason bc you are technically not getting the 1200 cals a day.
    [/quote]

I definitely don't. If anything i exercise to lose weight quicker since eating exactly 1,200 calories a day has me loosing 1lb a week - which just isn't enough for me. With exercise i can get it closer to 2-2.5.

are you sure about the negative exercise calories counting against calorie intake? seems MFP would give you a warning with that too - like they do when you don't eat the 1,200.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I've not noticed any increase in irritability or any other effects. Remember to keep drinking a lot of water.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the period wackiness for the last three cycles. My hubby is "fixed" so it is the dieting. I have gone from 30% BF to 26% since January so I am chalking it up to that. I have started eating more as I was SURE it was intake vs. exercise and also take flax seeds (2T/day) to help regulate my hormones. I have had increased irritability, migraines, nausea and other weird symptoms with all of this. SO, yes you should see your doctor and yes, other people are having this happen to them as a result of their weight loss and fitness increases.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    unless you're very overweight in which case periods can stop altogether as the body tries to hang on to everything it can to survive!

Very overweight - meaning ~210 lbs? down ten lbs in the last 30 days.

Sorry, just edited that which was meant to read underweight!
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    I've been taking flaxseed also - although not as regularly as I should be.

I guess I'll just keep on that, try to have that excess overage of 1,200 calories (with exercise)

and drink more water

and take it from there

thanks for all the good advice guys. (and so quickly lol)
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    [/quote]

I definitely don't. If anything i exercise to lose weight quicker since eating exactly 1,200 calories a day has me loosing 1lb a week - which just isn't enough for me. With exercise i can get it closer to 2-2.5.

are you sure about the negative exercise calories counting against calorie intake? seems MFP would give you a warning with that too - like they do when you don't eat the 1,200.
    [/quote]

Your body needs 1200 cals a day TO LIVE. If you are exercising and not eating enough to support that exercise you are starving your body. Eating back your exercise cals is not going to make you fat, it is giving you the fuel your body needs to burn the fat.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My cycles have become longer since I started exercising more intensely. If you are concerned about it, it wouldn't hurt to visit a doctor.
  • ahsongbird
    Options

[/quote]

Your body needs 1200 cals a day TO LIVE. If you are exercising and not eating enough to support that exercise you are starving your body. Eating back your exercise cals is not going to make you fat, it is giving you the fuel your body needs to burn the fat.
    [/quote]
    I eat back all or most of my exercise calories and I lose 2 lbs a week . You have to eat enough to keep your body functioning correctly, when you eat 1200 cals and then exercise and don't eat anymore you are now using the cals your body needed to run your organs and your body will stop functioning correctly.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options

Ok that makes perfect sense.

guess i'll just have to be more patient, not so good at that :-P

so really then there's no way of me losing more than 1.8 lbs a week (that's what i lose when i eat exactly 1200 with no exercise)?
  • gdparks1978
    gdparks1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy so the period stuff is better answered by someone else. However, MFP does account for the lose of exercise calories, but you have to enter your exercise and calories burned under tools for it to do that. It will recalculate how many calories you need to eat daily. This might give you your cause if you are exercising and only taking in 1200 calories as others have stated.

Remember, MFP is still a computer and will give you the calories to intake to lose only 2 lbs a week. If you exercise regularly you need to be sure you are on the proper nutrition plan that fits your goals and activities.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Big changes in diet/exercise really can change your cycle.

But STRESS is an even more powerful element here.

If you are netting fewer than 1200 calories a day (eating exactly 1200 calories and then burning calories from exercise), then yes, your menstrual cycle is likely to shut off because your body knows it probably couldn't support a pregnancy.