late period because of eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Your body needs 1200 cals a day TO LIVE. If you are exercising and not eating enough to support that exercise you are starving your body. Eating back your exercise cals is not going to make you fat, it is giving you the fuel your body needs to burn the fat.

Ok that makes perfect sense.

guess i'll just have to be more patient, not so good at that :-P

so really then there's no way of me losing more than 1.8 lbs a week (that's what i lose when i eat exactly 1200 with no exercise)?
    I'm sure you could lose more if you are eating things that are unhealthy and then switch to healthier foods. Cutting back on carbs helps a lot too but I wouldn't suggest cutting them out completely as you can get your carbs from veggies . Lean meats and protein will help a lot as well and always make sure you are getting in your water, check your salt intake too, a lot of times if you are eating too much salt you can store a lot of water.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    yes, your menstrual cycle is likely to shut off because your body knows it probably couldn't support a pregnancy.

that makes sense - never realized that was why, but makes total sense

you guys are so smart :)
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    Your body needs 1200 cals a day TO LIVE. If you are exercising and not eating enough to support that exercise you are starving your body. Eating back your exercise cals is not going to make you fat, it is giving you the fuel your body needs to burn the fat.

so really then there's no way of me losing more than 1.8 lbs a week (that's what i lose when i eat exactly 1200 with no exercise)?
    I'm sure you could lose more if you are eating things that are unhealthy and then switch to healthier foods. Cutting back on carbs helps a lot too but I wouldn't suggest cutting them out completely as you can get your carbs from veggies . Lean meats and protein will help a lot as well and always make sure you are getting in your water, check your salt intake too, a lot of times if you are eating too much salt you can store a lot of water.

Well the 1.8 lbs is a formula for calories taken in and burned i believe?

We're vegetarian so that helps a lot, although we probably need to buy some iron pills asap. I'm sure that isn't helping the whole equation. My partner is on birth control (for hormonal balance not pregnancy obviously lol) so that might be why she's been staying more regular - especially the iron pills at the end of the package.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Well the 1.8 lbs is a formula for calories taken in and burned i believe?

We're vegetarian so that helps a lot, although we probably need to buy some iron pills asap. I'm sure that isn't helping the whole equation. My partner is on birth control (for hormonal balance not pregnancy obviously lol) so that might be why she's been staying more regular - especially the iron pills at the end of the package.
    Well I'm not a vegetarian obviously so I have no clue on how to help you there lol I've thought about being one but when I tried to research it , meh I'm just too lazy to figure all the nutrition out lol
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Iron would be a very important supplement to take, as a woman and as a vegetarian. Oatmeal is one of the best sources of iron you can fidn. Also, when you're menstruating, you're more likely to show signs of iron deficiency.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    mine changes regularly every six month. I usually have a 25 day cycle, but once every six months it will go up to 30 days then settle back to 25.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    yeah i was a malnutritioned omnivore (donuts, frenchfries, etc) and figured i'd just be a malnutritioned vegetarian too (donuts and french fries are still vegetarian lol) :-P I didn't realize how differently it affects you. I need to do some research myself, obviously
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey all -
    I've been at this for just over a month now - am staying within the guidelines MFP is giving me but am already two weeks late for my period. No chance what so ever of being pregnant and its usually really regular so i imagine its related to the eating change? and slightly more exercise.

Is anyone else experiencing this? it's really sending my emotions off the deep end (and probably messing with my weight gain/loss also) so if there's some way i can regulate this while still doing this that would be a great thing to know.

thanks

Julie
    Mine has been off every month since January! It was off my about 5 days in JAn then about 7 in Feb and it just keeps getting further and further off....currently its off by about 2 weeks! I think it is the exercise and eating diffrent. I definitley do not mind it other than around that time of the month your weight is never right!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue when I start a new workout routine; of course a good sneeze will throw me off a week. if it disappears for a couple of months, I would contact you Doctor.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories. You didn't get overweight over night, you shouldn't expect to lose that weight over night either. Slow and steady wins the race, while those who jump out of the gate and sprint usually plateau and have more difficulty later on.

I can understand being impatient and all that, but the faster you lose the weight, the less time your body (and skin) has to adjust to the changes you're making. Hence the lack of menstruation. You will also notice that you have loose skin whereas if you lose at a slower rate, your skin is able to better adjust as your inches decrease.

But most of all, EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES. If you are eating 1200 calories per day, and working out and burning 400-600 calories, you are giving your body 800 calories to run your heart, your lungs, your digestive system, your BRAIN, and every other organ, as well. Calculate your BMR (your base metabolic rate - it's what your body requires if you just stayed in bed all day and did nothing else) and make sure you eat at least that + whatever exercise you might do for the day.

The way you are doing, you are literally starving your body, which is great because it taps into your fat stores, but also not great because it depletes your body of the nutrients it needs to function, and also causes it to tap into your lean body mass (aka muscle) and use that for fuel because fat doesn't convert to energy as quickly. Do you want to be your target weight and a mass of goop, or your target weight and strong?

Just wanted you to think about that. :) Good luck!
  • werksta
    werksta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going throught the same thing! My period is 6 days late and I've never had that happen before. I've taken plenty of pregnancy test and even got a blood test taken and they are negative. I am currently 109 lbs and I lost 7lbs in 6 weeks. I was eating enough calories but working out 6 to 7 days out of the week. I'm hoping my diet and exercising is why my cycle is all out of whack. I am going to my doctor on Monday to pick his brain.