Venison?

Options
13»

Replies

• brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    oh and the game taste has to do with what the deer eat mostly. Down here in GA they eat a lot of acorns. not such a game taste. now up north it's different and they eat different and they are bigger and older deer. more of a game taste.
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my only thought is MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I thoroughly support the notion to eat Bambi.

Edit: Remove game taste: soak in milk before preparing.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The gaminess you get from deer meat is how it is prepared. Many people in the north leave a deer hanging outside for a few days to age the meat. This does not help the taste of the meat. When I harvest a deer as soon as i get it back to the house i get it off the bone and put it in my fridge for about a week. Leaving the meat on the bone and especially the hide will make the meat taste gamey. I have tenderloin and burger in the fridge right now for the weekend.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Venison is awesome. Milk is one way to cut the gamey flavor. You can also marinate it in Italian or Balsamic dressing overnight. I like to get a roast and put it in the crockpot with chicken stock, onions, peppers, carrots, and potatoes. Serve over brown rice. Yum!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    lol, how nutritious something is isn't a matter of opinion.

Huh, well I guess the wide array of opinions I HAVE gotten in "real" life gave me the idea that people do indeed have different opinions on how healthy venison is for you. :huh:

Glad to hear there are so many fellow venison lovers! I'm quite sad that my stash is running low. Any recipes would be appreciated if you'd like to share! My favorite is just a good old deer steak out on the grill. Yum!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Venison is great...
    I'll be having me some Elk this weekend.:drinker:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Have a great bacon-wrapped venison recipe for the grill, if you or anyone wants. It has won over even my dad, who had never deeded venison mastery to anyone or anything else.

(And marinade is key whatever you make. My go-to is apple cider. But butter milk is good. Also good is coke, actually, or mtn dew.)

For anyone interested, it is actually super easy. Have done it with three cuts now, each one coming out tender and tasted great. Have used shoulder medallions, loin and back strap.

First, trim your meat of all fat, connective tissue, etc. Then cut into maybe two-inch chunks. Soak in apple cider for at least four hours. I've done as much as overnight. Drain cider and add in your choice of bbq sauce. If I go store-bought, I use sweet baby rays. I like it sweet, but have used original and it works also. Hickory is also good. Cover back up and let that go in crude for another few hours.

Then give it a half hour or so on the counter to get to room temp. Then ... well, time to get messy. Take out the chunks and wrap them in bacon. I use thick cut more often but regular also works well. Will usually cut bacon in half to stretch it further, and one half slice will generally wrap. Recently added a section of sliced sweet onion inside the wrap, and it was awesome.

Anyway, wrap and secure with a toothpick. Then time for the grill.

You'll want a hot grill, but keep the coals set low - bacon grease will kick up flames pretty quickly. Can get a bit out of hand if they are too high. Let it go until starting to blacken, then flip and repeat. Doesn't take too long with the smaller chunks.

And that's it. Sweet and savory and the venison isn't direct on the grill, so won't dry out if you watch the bacon for timing. Everyone that has tried it has loved it and asked for more. And the cider helps a ton to kick a bit of the gamey taste out.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I haven't eaten beef in 2 years. When I cook, I only use venison. Both the hubby and I hunt, so we always make sure our freezer is stocked up with a years worth of venison. It is very lean, and we process all of ours ourselves, so I know what is going in to it and what is not. You will find it a lot of times mixed with pork in your sausages and beef in your venison burger (venison has a hard time binding together on it's own), so you need to be careful and make sure its 100% venison.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    (And marinade is key whatever you make. My go-to is apple cider. But butter milk is good. Also good is coke, actually, or mtn dew.)

:noway: Marinade venison!? As Gollum would say, "you ruins it!" (but then, I'm a meat "purist" and am just as happy with just the meat flavor of just about any meat).

A little pepper on some dollar steaks, or a roast spent all day in the crock pot with some carrots, potatoes, and onion is all I need. :smile:
  • mr_rat
    mr_rat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is about 25% higher in cholesterol than other red meat, BUT in just about EVERY other aspect it is better than any other red meat. except perhaps Rabbit. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to lose weight
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Venison is great!! That is all I eat! and it is not high in cholesterol! Its a clean healthy meat!

look it up anywhere it is high in cholesterol....i eat a lot also but just stating facts.,

It has slightly less cholesterol than beef but beef also then has more than four times the amount of saturated fat.

THIS!!!!!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    A 3-oz. serving of roast venison, for example, has 75 mg of cholesterol, while a similar cut of beef contains 76 mg of cholesterol. However, the venison slice contains less than 1 g of saturated fat, whereas the beef has 4.3 g -- more than four times the amount that deer meat provides.

Significance
    At 75 and 76 mg of cholesterol, a single serving of venison or beef roast represents about 38 percent of your daily cholesterol allotment.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/342472-the-cholesterol-of-venison-vs-the-cholesterol-of-beef/#ixzz1uacAXvrF

If only dietary cholesterol had a direct correlation to blood serum cholesterol. Alas, it does not, thereby making your argument moot.

Thank you!!!! My total cholesterol was 145, HDL 48 Triglycerdies 78 LDL 80 ALL Normal !
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Venison is great!! That is all I eat! and it is not high in cholesterol! Its a clean healthy meat!

look it up anywhere it is high in cholesterol....i eat a lot also but just stating facts.,

Comparison With Other Red Meat
    Venison is considered a healthier alternative to other red meats; in a 100 g serving, it has just 66 mg of cholesterol, compared to 92 mg for beef and 101 mg for pork.

Comparison With Chicken
    Venison even contains less cholesterol than most poultry, which is generally considered as having the lowest cholesterol. Compare venison's 69 mg to chicken (83 mg) and turkey (68 mg).

Benefits
    Venison has other nutritional advantages, including less fat per 100 g serving (3.30 g compared to beef's 9.76 g). Venison also offers significantly fewer calories than both beef and pork.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    My guy says it's really healthy and he has yet to be wrong about that kind of stuff. He knows lots more a out nutrition than I do. Plus it is super yummy! He hunts and I camp. Love it!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    i use ground venison in a lot of dishes that require hamburger and i love canned venison or goose.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Off Topic: I am so happy to see so many hunters and hunter supporters on here. Here in WA state hunters are constantly under attack by the animal rights crowds and our wildlife department has not been much help against them.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I didn't marinate for taste. We would cube it like beef cube steak. We really liked it that way. I prefer corn fed wild deer from the fields rather than the higher elevation wilder taste. You can make it with onion if you roast it or use apple while roasting it helps to reduce the wild taste if you are so inclined.