Im quitting even before i have started

Options
124»

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    In summary: this is MyFitnessPal, not myDietPal. It's all about fitness.
  • staceym90
    staceym90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a real struggle to get started too as i love junk food and munchies with my boyfriend! i havent cut out junk food yet, far from it (pizza chips and beans for dinner tonight! woops) but i started doing a few 10 minute aerobic/fitness videos from youtube each night which has really helped me start losing weight and i have gradually started cutting down the size of my dinners by weighing everything or when im serving dinner instead of halving everything between me and my bf ill have 1/3 of the dinner and give him 2/3 of what i make (it doesnt matter how much i give him he never puts on weight!) and if i feel like eating when im not hungry i brush my teeth or chew gum as nothing tastes good with toothpaste!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Try just getting the hang of eating good. You will still lose weight. You can then throw in exercise after that once you have a momentum going and are happy with your results thus far.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters saying make small changes instead of trying to change everything at once. That's what always trips me up, and it makes the task seem impossible. Just remember this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just do it (don't TRY to do it). When you hear yourself say you CAN'T do something, remind yourself that you are CHOOSING NOT to do something. Be an active participant in your journey. This is not about rushing to lose 10 lbs (or 50 lbs or 100 lbs), it's about getting HEALTHY. Make small sustainable changes every month. Maybe you will cut down to just 1 soda a day (or week or month), maybe you will add one more piece of fruit/vegetable to your daily diet, maybe you will walk 1 mile every day (that's about a 15 minute walk if you walk quickly). All doable, no crazy changes that kill your will. Just be sure to log EVERYTHING. And at first, don't even worry about whether you stay within your calorie deficit goals. Just LOG. It'll all come together for you soon.

Good luck!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm Glad Your Wanting To Change And For A New You!! We All Have A Choice To Make To Be Healthy!! You Can Do This!! :flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have to want it. If you don't really attack this with conviction you will fail and no amount of pats on the back will stop you.

It takes 20 days to change your tastes in food. If you can't make an effort to eat better for 20 days, this probably isn't for you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    While there's a whole lot of good advice in these three pages, it may be too much too soon for where you are in your own journey.

My advice is to do two things (and only two things):

1) Log everything you eat or drink on MFP. Everything! (LOG ALL the THINGS!) If you don't weigh something, no big deal, just make your best estimate based on the information you have, but LOG IT. While there are plenty of excuses for not eating "right" or not exercising enough, there are ZERO excuses for not logging your food. It takes almost no effort and very little time. Just do it.

2) Move. You don't have to run a 5k or squat/deadlift/bench press for X sets of Y reps. Don't worry about all of that stuff. Instead, just move. This could be a 30 minute walk...or even a 15 minute walk. It *can be* on a dreadmill, but I suggest actually getting outside and actually walking. This could also be a sport or activity you enjoy. It doesn't have to be intense, but it has to be done. I think this is as much psychological as it is physical. Regardless of the reason, just do it.

Do these two ridiculously simple things for a few weeks. Get comfortably in a habit of doing these two things. Once you're there, I suspect you will be able to make a few other subtle changes in the right direction, but don't worry about that now. Start at the start.

(If you were the type to do everything 100% and not look back with full determination, then my advice would be different...but based on what I've read so far, that likely isn't the case...and that's okay! People approach these things differently. I'd much rather see you ease into this and make a lasting difference than to sprint into it 110% for a few weeks and then bail.)

And please...PLEASE...whatever you do, don't measure the worth of what I'm suggesting you do based on some arbitrary measurement of health in a short period of time. It took you X years to get to this point; it cannot be undone in Y weeks. However, the beginning of the journey to get to where you want to be absolutely starts with what you do right now, today, and the days ahead.

Regardless of what you decide to do and how you decide to do it, I wish you the best of luck. This journey isn't necessary complicated or hard, but it isn't always easy either.
  • harri1990
    harri1990 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi,
    The fact that you want to change your eating habits is half of the battle, with some junk foods there are 'low fat' or 'low sugar' options. I personally have cravings for pizza and chocolate, and when that happens i try and refocus my mind onto healthier things like a chicken salad its really hard, nobody's saying its easy. but your one step closer by wanting to do it :)
    Good Luck
    x
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Look at pictures of yourself that make you feel sick to your stomach. You will change your life! :) hehe!

THIS ^^

I keep a horrific pic of me near the 'junk food' cupboard, thats where the kids chocolate bars and other treats go, and an inspirational pic of me when i was thin next to the fruit bowl. I find it really helps when it comes to picking snacks
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i see your point about not seeing it as a diet,but im so used to eating junk how can i stop it??

I have the same problem. I practically live on fast food and processed foods. With my busy schedule, it is just easier. I started on this site just a few days ago, so I haven't seen any results yet, but just the act of putting all of my food and activities down makes it easier for me to make better choices. I have NO willpower, especially when it comes to food. I have already slipped up a little. But each day is a new day. And each day is a chance for me to make better choices. For me, I can't look long term, because my mountain I have to climb is so high if I concentrate on the end, I will be overwhelmed. Small goals. Even if it is just staying within your calories for a week.
  • GrlsRdy2Go
    GrlsRdy2Go Posts: 6
    Options
    I know how hard it can be to start first off don't tell yourself your going on a diet! Every time I said that I gained lol just the rebel inside us all I suppose. Try MFP it is putting me in perspective of what I put in my mouth and just take it one day at a time, lets start the journey together along with all the support you obviously are getting right now with the positive feedback from MFP's out there :)
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    But its easier said then done, im honestly failing and cant seem to get out of this deep hole

You are here - that is your first accomplishment! I too have struggled for 15 years with "an addiction to food", even in years where I was exercising, I'd make up for it by "treating myself' to nothing but junk. Everythingn everyone is saying is true -- the first day I logged a normal day, I about died at how much I was eating. There are days where it is tough, and I keep checking in for encouragement, and it helps. My goal is one pund a week, and I am slightly over that after 1 month! I am taking it SLOW -- haven't even touched on exercise, just controlling my eating,,,, and yes, I eat same foods, just in differenct portions, different times of day and adding better things with it.

You can do it!
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Become organized one day at a time. I will plan out tonight what I am going to eat and the type of exercise. Can't say that there aren't days where I cheat, but overall this does it for me. :-)
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    im struggling because i love to eat and i wouldnt say im that active either, i work but thats as much activity i do

You dont have to have one or the other, you can eat what you like and still loose wait. You just to make better choices 90% of the time. I love to eat too, I clean up my recipes to make them healthier, and give myself one day a week to eat what I'm craving. I work out 6 days a week, which makes it easier to fit in some of the extras that I love.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i want to stop them full stop. i work in a shop that has all the bad things i eat and i cant resist to buy and my boyfriend always wants munchies so i get tempted. im going to quit them though i need to or junk will take over my life

You really need to first get your willpower and dedication under control. Next, you need to realize that you are an addict -- addicted to sugar and fat, the things all junk food contains and keeps people coming back for more. By making a conscious choice to wean yourself off of your addiction by substituting garbage food for healthy food, your body will eventually stop craving it and your mindset will change. It will also amaze you how less you will need to eat, once your body starts getting the nutrients it needs from healthy food.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    But its easier said then done, im honestly failing and cant seem to get out of this deep hole

You can do it. The first thing is maybe cutting soda, or cutting something you normally eat that is junk. Then replace that with water, or fruit. It's sweet too. What I did because I was addicted to eating sweet junk was when I had a craving, while it's not IDEAL because it's not amazingly the most healthy thing, I would eat one tsp of peanut butter. It was sweet, but also solved the sweet tooth. In time, I lowered that and I don't do it very often now. I also don't crave the junk as bad. I still have to have treats. Today was that way. It is hard sometimes and I have an eating disorder I'm trying hard to suppress. I'm trying to keep myself full on fruit, veggies, water. Stuff like that and also to make sure I'm getting calories and nutrients. I'm doing it on a very limited budget unfortunately. Junk food is CHEAP and that's what hurts a lot of us. It hooks us into eating crap food and then now we're left trying to get off of that food.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    small changes are the key. set mini goals. by doing one step at a time you will find it a lot less overwhelming. Good Luck