Serving jobs stink in my area have crazy demands.

Options
124»

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    534326_10151131486394572_516154571_13265376_1837656375_n.jpg

I would LOVE if you worked where i did.....I think its hilarious how people think serving is sooooo easy, its just delivering food right? Well when you have 6 tables and one is a party of 15 and you are not only required to take the order, get all the drink, food, you have sidework,m so while im trying to to 5-7 tables im also having to roll silerware, fill up water things, run plates, and do everything with a smile because the guests can't see you look upset. Not only that, but i have to do all this work and STILL tip out. I have to tip out the bartender, even if i didn't get one drink all night, tip the hostesses even though they never set place settings on the table, and tip the guy who puts food on a tray. Luckily, i get semi decent tips for the most part, but a lot of times it feels so not worth the work.

I had a week to learn all the food, the drinks we offer, and how to upsell on everything. At the end of the night if our wine sells aren't good or desserts or salads, we get a "talking to" which basically is saying its our fault these people didn't order those things because we didn't sell it good enough. Since i started working here, I have so much more respect for servers everywhere(except for the ones that suck....)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Customers go out to eat with the sole purpose of bossing around and being cruel to the staff. People expect perfection in their service, which is different for every individual. One person will yell at you for not being attentive enough, and another will want to talk to a manager because you're being TOO attentive and those two people will have been receiving the same service.

Oh yes. I worked a short stint as a barista-in-training and even though I had a badge saying "trainee" I would get words about putting the order into the system and taking too long on it, taking too long to fill a cup of coffee, telling someone if they wanted to warm their bagel there was a microwave they could use that I couldn't handle their food to do it myself, if I didn't hear them the first time, if they spoke like they were on speed, or anything else.

I had one woman come in demanding a latte to be sugar free but the store had a special term, "guilt free". It didn't matter which you said, it was the same thing but every time her order was repeated as sugar free she corrected me and the girl training me since we were both saying it. I thought she was going to hit us with her purse so I finally said it and she calmed down, then turned around and beat her husband for ordering a regular hot chocolate and not a "guilt free" one. I also had to take the fall when the head barista took too long with an order and I had to serve it at their table only to turn around and tell her to remake one of the drinks because it was a kid's drink and she'd put espresso in it for some reason.

The most frightening one was when a woman came in seeking a certain type of croissant we usually had but were out of and she proceeded into hysterics, screaming and sobbing and trying to grab my shirt asking why we were out, telling her we hadn't gotten a shipment in yet was not a good enough answer. I was told to offer her one of our other ones but each one made her more upset until she nearly swiped the stuff off our display table and ran out screaming she'd never be back.

You aren't a person in a uniform and behind a counter. You're a thing and God help you if you do something human like screw up even the slightest bit.

I remember being in an Applebee's a year ago, this young guy had just started that week and he was still learning the ropes and there were two elderly women in one of his assigned booths and they did everything to make sure he got in trouble. The tea was bad, make a new batch (I had the same tea from the same batch and it was fine). The food's cold, this part of the order's wrong, why are you taking so long. Finally they demanded the manager, the guy had been beaten down so much he was on auto-mode, dully saying "yes ma'am, no ma'am" and they proclaimed he was taking an attitude. The manager chewed him out and in front of these women threatened to fire him if he screwed up one more time. He was my waiter too and everything with my meal, the service, the timing, the food, was perfect and he was polite even after these women had him through the wringer. I gave him a $10 tip and wrote on the restaurant copy of my receipt "I'm sorry you're having a bad day. Maybe this will help." He didn't see it until I was out the building but he came out and hugged me.

It sickens me when people do that. It really does. If you get bad service then either handle it with them or politely ask for the manager, if there's nothing wrong with your service then shut your mouth and be grateful that they're not the person who likes spitting in people's food.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was in college. The fact is, servers tend to do better when they like their jobs. Today, it seems service isnt as good, maybe its because they just beaten up by everyone. Alot of times bad service happens because they are tired, mentally drained from all the negativity from customers, coworkers, and managers. Most dont get breaks and alot of tiems work double shifts. If something goes wrong, its not the end of the world, you survive. Most servers and places will want to fix whatever went wrong. Btw, word of advice, never be rude to your server before you get your food or drinks. Alot of them are over qualified and unhappy because of the job market so if you are prissy or rude, they might spit in your food or worse. Also, if you tip crap or stiff them, dont go back, they might mess with you. They remember you and tell other servers. WIth me, when I go out, Im just happy and glad im able to go out and have drinks and dinner. Alot of people dont have that luxury.

Mess with my food because I'm unhappy with something?

Ridiculous and just another reason why I no longer go out to dinner. I can make the same stuff at home (and it is usually better for me anyway) and I don't have to worry about pissing off someone who is mad at the world and have them spit in my food or something.

And yes, I worked as a server in the past and no matter how rude the customer was? I NEVER, EVER would have done anything to their food.

That's immature and as far as I can tell pretty unethical too. Would you like if I spit in YOUR food because you pissed me off?

I doubt it.

If you hate your job that much, get another one. Your unhappiness, resentment and downright bitter attitude towards your job and life show in the way you present yourself which results in poor customer service. Poor customer service equals less in tips.

Leave your troubles and unhappiness at the door.

Being upset about food is stupid in the first place. Im not talking about being upset, im talking about people yelling and cursing at people. In the old days, they would get the crap beat out of them. Like I said most are willing to fix it. Its just food. Also, people shouldnt be able to talk to people any way they want and they just take it. You dont own them nor have the right to yell or say rude things. Its simple, if you dont like something like the place or service, just dont go back.

Come on. Like I said earlier, I worked at TGIF for twelve years. No one ever yelled at a server. They may have been upset, but come on. They were usually either hungry or drunk. If ya can't take the heat, don't work in the kitchen.

I work at macaroni grill, and some lady got an attitude with me because i was talking before my shift started, clocked in and saw that the person who was assigned to her section wasn't greeting them in time, so i was going to start the greet and she freaked out saying how i was talking and ignoring them and they stormed off before i could even get a word in. Sadly, people are so miserable that i think they get some cheap thrill by going to places and treating servers or employees in general like crap to brighten up their day. I love working at a restaraunt for the most part because im a people person. You meet all walks of life, and you can even network. Some of my tables asked where i get my hair done, then find out i do hair and BAM i got a new client. It could be the same for someone in college or a newly graduated person, they can get the word out they are looking for a job and get a heads up from people. But it DEF isn't a walk in the park.

edit: Or they complain so they can get their bill lessened, or get a free desert, which is sick and twisted
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    ^^^ word
    i couldn't even begin to tell all the stories of customer psychosis i've encountered in over a decade of full-time food service.

like the person who had a $300 ticket and left what appeared to be a $100 bill on the table for a tip. it turned out to be some Jesus propoganda printed up so that one side looked like a bill. The back said something like, "this money wouldn't make you happy, but Jesus will!":grumble:

like the lady that literally cried on my shoulder when i was a supervisor because the kitchen got her ridiculously modified salad wrong. she'd screamed at her server until he locked himself in the bathroom crying. called him a "retard" and a "*kitten*-*kitten*-fruitcake", then cried on my goddamned shoulder because her pecans weren't toasted. :frown:

like the countless, "this is the best service i've ever had! thanks! but i don't tip, sorry. you should get a real job" that i've heard over the years.
    i now work with people who have developmental disabilities. i deal with way less retarded behaviors than i did while working with the undiagnosed public.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    *snip*

The most frightening one was when a woman came in seeking a certain type of croissant we usually had but were out of and she proceeded into hysterics, screaming and sobbing and trying to grab my shirt asking why we were out, telling her we hadn't gotten a shipment in yet was not a good enough answer. I was told to offer her one of our other ones but each one made her more upset until she nearly swiped the stuff off our display table and ran out screaming she'd never be back.

You aren't a person in a uniform and behind a counter. You're a thing and God help you if you do something human like screw up even the slightest bit.

Oh god forbid an establisment run out of something. People don't realize that sometimes, a restaurant runs out of stuff. If the delivery company is out of that product, then you can't 'just order more.'
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    I've worked in customer service- dry cleaning clerk, gas station cashier, and cashier/customer service desk in retail- but I have always known I would never be able to serve in a restaurant bacause i'm way to shy and sensitive. I've dealt with plenty of rude and downright scary people in the jobs that I've had, but I know servers have it worse. I had a poor girl spill a drink all over me, but she obviously didnt do it on purpose and I felt bad for her- I tipped her extra hoping she wouldnt feel too bad about it. I didn't even realize how low the hourly wage is until I read this thread.