First 5K-What is/was your time goal?

Options
julieh391
julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
Right now I'm not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. I started a C25K program this week and am feeling really good about it. So good in fact that I told a runner (like, SERIOUS runner) friend of mine about it, and now she wants to run one together. She will actually be super encouraging and supportive, and I'm really excited to do this with her. :) I'm just wondering what a healthy goal is for a first 5K. I was always an athletic person before gaining weight during/after having my babies, but I've never been a distance runner (never really tried.) Now I'm 5'7" 216lbs and trying to get fit again. Suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My first 5k goal was to cross the finish line having run the whole thing. That's all I needed in order to be proud of myself :smile:

Edit: My time was 43:14, which I don't think was that bad for having only been running a month without having run in 10 years.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have yet to run a official 5k. I just started training for one about two weeks ago. I was never a runner, my belief was, don't run unless something is chasing me. Recently though I have decided to start trying and so far I enjoy it, although I suck at it now and I'm very slow. But progress is coming along nicely. My very first unofficial time was three days ago at, 37:04. My goal is to reach under 30:00 before I enter my first official race, and be able to run the whole thing.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I would give yourself 3 or 4 months of training to run a 5k in 30 minutes.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    For your first 5k, set a goal to finish, enjoy it, and feel good about yourself. Don't even worry about the time. Once you've completed your first, you can focus on improving your time for the next one, if you are so inclined.

But, if it helps.....my first was like 39 minutes. And I know many others who did their first in less time than that, and more time than that. Really, don't worry about the time. My goal for that first one was to finish without walking.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5k on June 2nd and my goal is to finish having run the entire thing haha. Ideally around 40 minutes.
  • Katschau
    Katschau Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a runner now, but will never be fast. My first 5k in oct 2011 was 34:48. I trained all winter and am now around 32:00. I don't let it bother me that I am slow and cannot get under 30:00. I feel happy that 1 year ago I could not run and now I can do up to 10k. Do what is best for your age and body.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K two days after completing C25K. My goal was to run the whole thing and if I finished in under 40 minutes that would be a bonus. I ended up finishing in 33:43 running the whole time.

Good luck!
  • XxXHillaryXxX
    XxXHillaryXxX Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine was 28 minutes & blah blah blah seconds (I forget).
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My goal for my first 5k was to finish in 30minutes. I ended up finishing at 29:19 :smile:
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well mine was last saturday finished in 50:03. I didn't run the whole thing but did most. I am just finishing week 8 today. Hope to do my second on July4 and run the whole thing.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I finished my first 5k in 45 minutes. I walked most of it because I was slacking off a month before the race. My goal was to not be the last one to cross the finish line!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    For your first 5k, set a goal to finish, enjoy it, and feel good about yourself. Don't even worry about the time. Once you've completed your first, you can focus on improving your time for the next one, if you are so inclined.

But, if it helps.....my first was like 39 minutes. And I know many others who did their first in less time than that, and more time than that. Really, don't worry about the time.

^^^^ This is the correct answer!^^^^^

I just finished my first 5k last Saturday, my time was 35:39. Initially, my goal was to run it in under 30 minutes but I found out that it's kinda better to pick a goal after you at start running a little. :wink: The 30 minute goal just sounded good and doable - which it is for some people, at the time. I've never been a runner so I really had no idea what to expect. Do your training, have fun, and you will feel great when you are done!

No matter what your time is, you will have accomplished something you have never done before!

Good luck!
  • agsfirst5k
    agsfirst5k Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been training for my first 5k now for 8 weeks....am very nervous about finishing as the race is 1 week away. Haven't run a full 5k yet...longest being 2.5 miles.....will be with friends and if I end up walking then so be it...just want to experience it and will shoot for another date in the near future if things dont' work out.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would give yourself 3 or 4 months of training to run a 5k in 30 minutes.

I agree with this comment. I started running Jan of this yr and ran my first 5k in April. My goal was to run the entire race and to come in around 35 min. I ran the entire race and my time was 37:33. I place over all 81st, and was only 1.:27 from placing 3rd in my age group. I was pretty happy. Now I am practicing for a 10k.
  • 6strong
    6strong Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ran/walked my first 5k @ 245 pounds and finished it in 51:15. Now that I've lost some weight and have been working on my health, I will be doing my second 5k June 23. Can't wait to see how I've progressed. I like the idea of enjoying your first one and building from there... essentially that's what I'll be doing! Good luck! :)
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options

^^^^ This is the correct answer!^^^^^

Ditto!!

I started cardio training (elliptical, biking, walking, with minimal jogging) in September 2011. Began running in February 2012. I ran my first 5k race in April in 34:14. I did another three weeks later which was a more difficult course, in 34:20. I'm running one this weekend and I'd be pleased with a time under 34. I train daily.
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My goal was just to finish and run the whole thing no walking. I finished in 39 minutes. My legs were super stiff that day and it was very hard to run. I did this last May and I have another May 26th. I did the C25K again since I stopped running back in Sept. I just finished week 8 and am still not quite at 3.1 miles, but I ran 2.72 in 30 minutes day before yesterday so a definite improvement in time so far.
  • JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My first 5k is coming up on June 23rd. I've just started the C25K, but had been running 1.25 miles three times per week for the last month. My goal for June 23rd is 31:00 (10-minute-mile), and today I made it 2.56 miles in 31 minutes. I'm pretty confident that I will be able to make my time goal. The biggest thing for me will be actually running outside - I love my nice, flat treadmill that tells me how fast I'm going (and how fast the time is going)!
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    My first 5K was 30:24 but I agree with everyone who said that on your first race, finishing upright and smiling should be your goal. That's the approach I take everytime I take on a new distance. Good luck with it!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel so much slower. I just ran my first unofficial 5k a week ago. Finished in 44:39 and was happy til I read this thread. I'm going to take everyone's advice and quit comparing my speed to everyone else.