What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    we had a picture of king tut on the wall of our bedroom...and we were told that at night he would come out and terrorize us if we were bad..i still can't look at the picture to this day.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Add: I thought that those people fighting or killing each other in the movies or on TV screen are really enemies.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I used to love chocolate milk so much and my mom told me that when I was breast fed as a child she had one chocolate milk boob and another regular one. LOL lol i totally bought it.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I thought people's souls were trapped in Mannequins. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with them to this day, but not as extreme. When I saw them in the store I would go screaming in the store and would hide under clothes.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I thought that I everytime I saw a re-run or a movie I had already seen, that it was being acted out again like a live play, and that the actors were really really good at doing the exact same thing over and over. I also assumed they all had a bunch of look alikes to play the death scenes over and over. This also lead me to believe that Tom Cruse was a magician for being on different channels at the same time. funny coincidence huh (insert scientology joke here)
  • BrandiL83
    BrandiL83 Posts: 100
    Options
    My dad has me believing for the longest time that brown cows gave chocolate milk, red cows gave strawberry and white/white & black gave white milk.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I believed that if you ate a lot of lightning bugs, my poo would glow..... I was wrong!
  • trishka48
    trishka48 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to talk to Cookie Monster once a week... it was my uncle :)

That is a-freakin-dorable.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    New shoes made me run FASTER!

My kids always tell me this. Every time I buy them new shoes, they think they gotta run everywhere because they're suddenly faster.

I believed for little awhile that I was adopted... because my sisters (who are 7 years older than me) told me that I was. They were in deep *kitten* when I finally asked my parents if it was true.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd get hair on my chest if I ate horseradish. I REALLY wanted hair on my chest when I was four. Not so much now. I'm glad all that horseradish eating never paid off.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My dad has me believing for the longest time that brown cows gave chocolate milk, red cows gave strawberry and white/white & black gave white milk.

Ahahah that is awesome.!

Mine was from the age of 4-6. I thought if I thought about it hard enough that I could flap my arms really fast, that I could fly. I kept going higher and higher and jumping off, flapping as hard as I could. I can remember jumping off the cab of my dad's construction pickup, it was a taller full sized truck. One would think that my parents would have stopped me at some point, but they just watched. They did stop me from jumping off the garage roof. Being a parent now I can understand the "she will get tired at some point" issue, but I don't think I could let me kids jump from the heights I got.

I wish there was a way now where we humans could just soar about.... The millennium is young though.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    To this day, I cannot sleep unless both my feet are under the sheet. My older sister used to tell me that if I was bad, the devil would come and stab my toes with his pitchfork and drag me to hell.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    That my eyes were bigger than my stomach... Literally.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I believed in Santa until I was in my mid 20s when my parents finally told me the truth.

When I was around 8 or so (in the 80s), my sister and I were going through the Santa is not real phase and we wanted proof. My dad had a video camera -- the big one that you had to hold on your shoulder and connect to the vcr that you carried around with a sholuder strap -- and we insisted on setting it up to catch Santa. We put in the corner and tried to hide it behind the plant (so Santa wouldn't know he was being taped). In the morning, we were more excited to watch the video tape than to open presents. We started the tape and started fast forwarding. At some point we saw the sliding glass door start to open and we rewound it a bit and played it and the door opened, Santa came in and put presents under the tree, went back out, came back in with more, etc. took a bite of the cookies and milk, walked out and closed the sliding glass door. And we both went back to beliving in Santa.

Until, my parents told us (not sure how the conversation came up) that one of our neighbors was the Santa for the Lion's (or some other similiar org) and the org sponsored the Santa's Cottage in town, and they hired the neighbor to come down and put our presents under the tree.

But, somewhere we still have the video tape of Santa delivering our presents.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That money grew on trees. We used to have those "money" trees where you would burn the candle down and there would actually be money in them. Also, my mom worked at a bank (still does, actually same place I do now), and she used to complain she had no money and all i'd say is go to the bank!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I believed in Santa until I was in my mid 20s when my parents finally told me the truth.

When I was around 8 or so (in the 80s), my sister and I were going through the Santa is not real phase and we wanted proof. My dad had a video camera -- the big one that you had to hold on your shoulder and connect to the vcr that you carried around with a sholuder strap -- and we insisted on setting it up to catch Santa. We put in the corner and tried to hide it behind the plant (so Santa wouldn't know he was being taped). In the morning, we were more excited to watch the video tape than to open presents. We started the tape and started fast forwarding. At some point we saw the sliding glass door start to open and we rewound it a bit and played it and the door opened, Santa came in and put presents under the tree, went back out, came back in with more, etc. took a bite of the cookies and milk, walked out and closed the sliding glass door. And we both went back to beliving in Santa.

Until, my parents told us (not sure how the conversation came up) that one of our neighbors was the Santa for the Lion's (or some other similiar org) and the org sponsored the Santa's Cottage in town, and they hired the neighbor to come down and put our presents under the tree.

But, somewhere we still have the video tape of Santa delivering our presents.

really mid 20's?!?!? you must've been a heavy sleeper as a child! I was about 8-10 when I first saw my Dad bring in all the presents from his room. Still though, it's all about the spirit of Christmas. :)
  • HWeatherholt
    Options

I believed for little awhile that I was adopted... because my sisters (who are 7 years older than me) told me that I was. They were in deep *kitten* when I finally asked my parents if it was true.

My sister for the longest time thought she was switched at birth. It all started as a joke, but we still kinda wonder to this day. When my sister was born, the nurse told my mom she weighed one amount and then a little while later told her a different amount, and big difference at that. They told her she was jaundice at birth and then told her she wasn't. And a few other things. My siter also doesn't look like anyone in our immediate or extended family -- she is the only one on either side with red hair and freckles. And many other little things. We had her believing it for the longest time. And sometimes we really do wonder. However her oldest daughter is the spitting image of my mom's side of the family.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

My sister for the longest time thought she was switched at birth. It all started as a joke, but we still kinda wonder to this day. When my sister was born, the nurse told my mom she weighed one amount and then a little while later told her a different amount, and big difference at that. They told her she was jaundice at birth and then told her she wasn't. And a few other things. My siter also doesn't look like anyone in our immediate or extended family -- she is the only one on either side with red hair and freckles. And many other little things. We had her believing it for the longest time. And sometimes we really do wonder. However her oldest daughter is the spitting image of my mom's side of the family.

after babies are born they usually drop a few ounces. its normal.
  • HWeatherholt
    Options

after babies are born they usually drop a few ounces. its normal.

No it was a significant amount.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this or not...too many pages, but here ya go:

I thought if I swallowed gum, it'd be in my stomach for 7 years before it digested. I know, I know...stupid, but that's what I thought. I still did it anyway, though.

:laugh: