Is a Fitbit worth the money?

Options
Hi, I keep seeing lots of posts singing the praises of the Fitbit. Having had a look at the website it seems very expensive for what it is.

I would love to hear peoples views on this as if it is genuinely worth it I am willing to invest in it.

Thanks

Replies

• laurels12
    laurels12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested too! I'm like you, keep hearing all these great things but when I look on Amazon, I wobble when I see the price!! I'm terrible for buying fitness things and then only using them once!
  • jmeyer1198
    jmeyer1198 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love mine...better yet. Last week while hiking I lost mine. I knew about where I lost it but couldn't locate. I sent an e mail to fitbit asking if there was any magic to finding a lost fitbit....they sent me a new one at no charge! Not saying this is their policy for all but I was impressed. Thank you fitbit team if your reading this!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My fitbit hasn't left my body for more than showers or swimming since I got it in February. I use it to keep me motivated and challenged - can I walk more steps, more distance, more calories per minute, more flights of stairs. My youngest also likes to see the activity indicator get big, so he is always asking me tomove so he can see the flower get bigger!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have wasted money on the less expensive pedometers and they never worked right. Fitbit was given to me as a gift and I LOVE it.

Of course, I am visually motivated. When I can SEE I walked 5679 steps, I just have to make it 6000!! The same thing with my HRM-I see I burned 322 and I have to make it an even 350. Problem is, I make it a 388 and have to go to 400!! :laugh:

To me it is a fun motivator!!
  • Jeebs71
    Jeebs71 Posts: 41
    Options
    I too wobbled about the price, but decided to take the plunge and have now been wearing mine for 3 days constantly (apart from showers) and I have to say I think it is the best thing! I definitely find it is a huge incentive to beat the steps, flights climbed, etc each day. it is a lot of money but all you have to do is keep it clipped onto your clothing and let the fitbit do the rest. I also find it fascinating to find out how much I've moved about when sleeping!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I've had mine since January and don't find it particularly useful or motivating.
  • luvdogz
    luvdogz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Look around for sales and coupons. I had a coupon for Best Buy and a couple of gift cards, made it much more reasonable. I have had mine for a couple of weeks and am in love! It never leaves me except to shower. It is soooo motivating to look and see how you have done, and you compete against to yourself to do more! It has been very eye opening for how much I sit, and I have realized that all those little things, like parking farther away, or taking the stairs really DO add up! I have not been sorry for one minute that I spent the money. That's been my experience so far, hope that helps.
  • daisyhougan
    daisyhougan Posts: 52
    Options
    Love, love, love mine. Wasn't sure if I would because I've used other pedometer-type things before and would either fall apart or just would taper off.
    Here's what Ilike.....it's super comfortable to wear and stays on really well. I often foget that it's there and don't worry about it falling off, even if I'm playing soccer or running. I've been using it since January and February and it still works like a charm (so the cost evens out if you spread the cost overseveral months). I like the way it tracks my exercise on the computer. I can analyze which days I did well and which days I didn't get as much exercise in. It actually encourages me to exercise more because I want to get above a certain level of steps or exercise----I might set a goal of a certain number of steps or flights of stairs each day or a cumulative level of each week. I also like the way it links to MFP.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Love mine! I'm now disturbed if I'm not making my 10,000 steps or 10 flights daily. I just need them to read 100%. I will pace in my house if neccessary in the evening to get it up there, lol! I like how it tells me what I've burned already in the day, so I can better calorie count based on my activity done, or what I know I will do for the remainder of the day. I try to have a 1000 calorie deficit per day, so I up my activity to give me that allowance because I am a very good eater (which is why I need to be here.)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The following is simply my opinion and, if you disagree, that's fine...

You have to weigh cost against value. Would it be worth $100 if it is the inspiration you needed to reach your weight loss goals?

If you are the type of person who is motivated by the information provided by Fitbit, it can help you lose weight. If you catch yourself going the extra mile (or extra kilometer, block, whatever) to make the 10,000 steps (or whatever your step goal is) each day, then its going to help you burn more calories, and that MAY be worth it to you.

If you get sick and tired of trying to log your cardio exercise or you're worried you may not be tracking all of your movement, this MAY be well worth it for you.

The first week I used my Fitbit, I was ready to toss it in a box and return it. After I learned how to use it, it is a valuable part of my diet/exercise program. I forgot to bring it with me yesterday and actually caught myself getting upset at myself for forgetting to bring it.

I like it because it motivates me.

I like it because it shows my peak times and slow times throughout each day on the charts.

I like it because I don't have to track my cardio manually.

To me, as an ongoing venture, it's worth it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would be under eating if not for my FITBIT I love it!!!!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit!! It actually has motivated me to take the stairs now anytime that I can and to keep moving until I reach the goals that I have set for myself!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Love mine! I'm now disturbed if I'm not making my 10,000 steps or 10 flights daily. I just need them to read 100%. I will pace in my house if neccessary in the evening to get it up there, lol! I like how it tells me what I've burned already in the day, so I can better calorie count based on my activity done, or what I know I will do for the remainder of the day. I try to have a 1000 calorie deficit per day, so I up my activity to give me that allowance because I am a very good eater (which is why I need to be here.)

Yep, motivation to do more and top your fitbit friends with stairs and steps.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yes, get one it's fun to get those numbers up. Get money for your birthday and treat yourself. Worn mine every day since 5 Jan, only forgot to put it on once and then remembered after an hour. Consider it on a level with my mobile phone - luxury but necessary!
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I returned mine the next day. Seems a bit hyped, but to each his/her own.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love mine also! I'm thinking of getting one as a gift for my very sedentary boyfriend. As others said, it's a great motivator and is just fun to see how active you really are. I was shocked at how few steps I took in a normal day. I do not have a sedentary job. I see patients in a medical office - but turns out I was not walking as much as I thought. When you are trying to maintain a deficit - it's good to know how much you actually are burning on a daily basis. The other nice things is - unlike Bodymedia Fit you do not need a monthly subscription for the thing to work. :)
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would be under eating if not for my FITBIT I love it!!!!

I've had mine for about 10 days and its shown that I am undereating!! So trying to get up to decent calories even though I already feel like I'm stuffing all day anyway...

I love mine wear it all the time well worth the money...
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I hike, so it is fantastic to be able to compare trails for flights of stairs, distance and steps. It is so motivating- I can't stand having a day where I don't meet my goals and will push myself to avoid that feeling, lol. Great tool and well worth the price!
  • lcphipps
    lcphipps Posts: 29
    Options
    just wondering? has anyone ever compared the bodymedia monitor to the fitbit?
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I just don't get how fitbit could give accurate readings on calories burned. Does anyone use both? Do they match up?