Is a Fitbit worth the money?

Options

Replies

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This is my exact question!!! How accurate can it be on calorie burn with no chest strap? I love the idea of it but how does it compare to using an HRM? Do you use only one or the other?
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm also having the same worry... I love the idea and I'm a real gadget type person... It's just the price that puts me off. Other than syncing, what's so good about this over other pedometers?!

Saying that, I have just added it as a treat when I reach my first target, which I am nearly half way towards!!
  • MrsPigz
    MrsPigz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person really.. I am a very competitive person. So I compete with myself to do better then the day before. Sometimes it works... other times not so much. But over all it's FANTASTIC!
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've had mine a little over a week now and LOVE it! I've found that it's much more accurate when figuring out my activity for the day. MFP was actually overestimating on my workouts at the gym by about 100 calories. Plus I get to see what I burn normally throughout the day. Personally I put mine on my bra, right in the middle part by your chest. Works like a charm and you forget it is there. The website with all your info is free and links to MFP which I also love (and didn't even know until a friend told me!) All in all, totally worth it in my opinion. And I too have ran around my kitchen island just to get my 10,000th step! ;) It's motivating.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Worth the money- your call. It was worth my money, every penny.

Here is why:

Competitive types will try and beat their own "all time best" steps taken, floors climbed, miles walked, calories burned.

You can specifically log activities to see how many steps/miles (estimated) you walked during that time frame, all by pushing 1 button.You can even log your sleep cycle and get an idea if you are a restless sleeper or not.

Once said activities are saved in your device, your FitBit stores it until it sends the data to the receiver/docking "station" attached to your PC, where it will then sync to your FitBit website account. It can store more than 1 saved activity, so you don't have to revolve around your receiving station/PC.

FitBit tracks your steps, and can tell (somehow, haven't figured this part out yet) if you are running or walking and automatically adjusts between your walking stride and your running stride- so make sure you fill in both fields when you make your profile. Also, one small thing I don't like about the website (not the fitbit) is that it asks for your "stride" but really expects your step. The difference is (I didn't know back then) stride is left toe to left heel, and step is left toe to right heel.

FitBit also comes with a built in altimeter which tracks your elevation as you move up or down (which is how it counts you climbing floors- every 10 feet is a floor for this.)

You can link MFP and FitBit so that they share information, making it a heck of lot easier to work with on both fronts. The FitBit website is a lot like MFP in the logging food, weight, body measurements, tracking the chances you've made in each of those, etc. It can be very overwhelming initially until you get the hang of it then it's pretty easy.

Plus you get virtual badges for accomplishments like lifetime miles walked, lifetime steps climbed, etc. Corny but fun.

The single button on the device cycles through displaying steps, distance, calories burned, stairs climbed, and activity flower.

You can place it anywhere thanks to its "old fashioned clothespin" design., but play with it for step accuracy. I wear mine on my bra, easier to not lose for me, heh!

It uses the computer power to charge its battery (or a USB wall plugin if you have one.) I have charged it on my laptop's sleep mode. It holds a charge for 3 weeks (my experience so far.) though I have not ever run it completely out of power so it could be longer.

Cons:
    I won't say the step count is 100% accurate, but most pedometers aren't 100% accurate either.
    Getting it set up is a small hassle, but quickly becomes easier than using a traditional pedometer.
    The receiving station is a pain in my butt since I have it constantly plugged into my laptop. It is compact, and no you do not have to keep it plugged in. I'd almost recommend plugging it in once a night just to sync or recharge your FitBit.
    The device itself does not alert you to low battery, however it is displayed on your FitBit web account.

As for HRM comparison:
    I have a HRM (Zephyr) and FitBit underestimates my calories burned- but that works for me. (yesterday walk HRM: 560, FitBit:530)

If something ever happened to mine, I would replace it in a second with another FitBit. I have tried out the cheaper range of pedometers and dislike them heartily.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I've had mine since January and don't find it particularly useful or motivating.

Then i`ll give you a tenner for it...:bigsmile:

Might as well cut your losses...
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    just wondering? has anyone ever compared the bodymedia monitor to the fitbit?

I've had a Fitbit for over a year and have been wearing a BodyMedia for a few months. The total daily numbers they both give me are wildly different. The BodyMedia is much more generous than the Fitbit to the tune of about 300 calories a day. Yet it measures nearly 1000 steps less than the Fitbit which you calibrate according to your stride length.

I'm still not sure which one I like "better." I prefer the BM interface and the way it reports the information (there is a 7 dollar a month fee), but I like that I can sync my Fitbit to MFP. Both products have abysmal food databases, esp if you do most of your own cooking and/or don't shop at large chain "brand name" grocery stores.

I don't find either device particularly motivating. I leave that to the way my clothes fit. I've been logging calories in and out for over ten years so I've kind of figured out how to crunch the numbers on my own, but I do enjoy the feedback in terms of knowing I'm on track as far as movement goes. But after a while you can sort of spot your own patterns and figure things out. I'm giving both devices until the end of the year, but I suspect I'll keep the Fitbit if only for the fact that it is less conspicuous as I can wear it clipped to my bra. The BodyMedia doesn't go with everything ;)

Cheers,
    Cynthia
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It is not a gadget-y gadget. It is really simple and straightforward. It provides tons of feedback that is all relevant to weight loss and physical activity goals. It is also innocuous - it doesn't look dopey like pedometers and doesn't scream "hey, I am trying to lose weight!" like the bodybug did (does?). In fact, I think my fitbit is cute and don't mind it showing! I also like that I can clip it to my bra and wear it under a dress or blouse to meetings.

I wear it all the time and when I realized I was hitting 10,000 every day - I bumped my goal up to 12,000. Most days I exceed that now - which makes my dog pretty happy (he's overweight so the fitbit is helping him indirectly too). :wink: I am not sure if I regularly hit 10-12k steps before, but like others have stated, I am very committed now to keeping my steps up.

You can also (but don't have to) have a "leader board" where you compete against fiends (and frenemies?) to see who gets most steps, who is most active for longest periods of time (which it differentiates). It also tells you how many calories you are burning, so it better tracks TDEE than a simple calculation would because it is measuring your actual physical activity.

Having spent money on weight watchers, e-diets, 24 hr fitness, Jillian Michaels website etc., in the past (sometimes with minimal results) the cost did initially give me pause. However, with all it does, now I think the price is a bargain and I recommend it to anyone!
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love, love my fitbit. I find it very motivating and helpful since my schedule varies day to day (I'm a sub). What I have discovered is I am WAY more active than I expected. I had previously set myself as "sedentary" not knowing what days I would work. Turns out there are few days I am under 10,000 steps-- even when I am having a "lazier" day hanging around the house. The days I sub I hit 15,000 to 20,000+ steps most often... which explains why on those days I would feel extra hungry even though I "didn't workout". All in all, I think it's a fun lil gadget and it's just the thing I need to encourage extra movement.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I just don't get how fitbit could give accurate readings on calories burned. Does anyone use both? Do they match up?

I use both...and to be honest...NO they do not match up...But in saying that, i don`t think that anything matches up to a HRM...This is why although my deficit to hit 1000 cals a day i try and hit at least 1300 deficit, because i know that the fitbit is a bit too genourous.

End of the day it has got me more motivated than any other fitness gizmo i`ve ever bought. If i don`t hit my daily targets i`m miserable.

So to me if it gets you moving...its worth every pound/dollar you spend on it..
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    just wondering? has anyone ever compared the bodymedia monitor to the fitbit?

I've had both. I prefer the fitbit. Most will say the body media is more accurate, and because it measures more I would not doubt it. However body media is bulky and stands out on your arm. When I started, I had 80 pounds to lose (60 now) , and I don't need a big arm band advertising "fat girl trying to lose weight!" The second reason, is the nickel in the bodia media sensor started to give me a rash. The 3rd reason, is after you buy the fitbit everything is free (they have an optional premium service which is 50.00 per month, I don't reconmend but that just me.) Body Media is like 10 to 15.00 per month (for that amount you can buy a fitbit in a year.)

Fitbit is light, easily hidden, cheap (after initial investment) and a great motivator. If you buy a Fitbit, invest in a 6.00 pedometer strap so you don't lose it.
  • jefferyjennings
    Options
    I just received mine about three days ago and I just LOVE it. It keeps track of every step, calorie, elevation change, and of course my sleeping pattern. Then the information it give on the site is pretty cool as well. I don't like how there is more features that one can get, but there is a $50 a year subscription, but I'm not in need of those. The tracker seems to be off by 3 to 6 steps occasionally, but that is not often and very few in between. I like the fact it links up with Myfitnesspal, so it adds my calories burned to my exercise, so I don't have to guess about the calories I burned from a long walk. This is a great tiny product, but it is tiny bit expensive, which I was only able to buy only since I received my tax return check.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I just don't get how fitbit could give accurate readings on calories burned. Does anyone use both? Do they match up?

Because you can sync a Fitbit with MFP, you can enter your exercise numbers from your HRM on this site. Then your input overrides the Fitibt info. I log all of my exercise here, esp cycling and circuit training and find that it ends up giving a pretty close "guesstimate" at the end of the day.
  • fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options
    I've seen it (my friend has one and uses it with the iphone app) and I, too, have thought that this might be an interesting investment, but what I'm afraid of is getting it, seeing all the calories I burn from moving around, and then thinking, oh, then I can eat an extra x calories because I burned this much by walking around and stuff! When in reality, the MFP calculator already calculated about that many calories into my daily allowance because I told it that I had a "lightly active" lifestyle rather than a "sedentary" one.
    So if you do get one, make sure you don't do that. But if not to use fitbit to see how many calories you burn, then what do you use it for? So I don't think it's actually worth the price tag...if it will help you burn an extra 12 calories or so getting from burning 388 calories a day to 400 calories a day, and you think it's worth it, then by all means, go ahead!
    But personally, I don't think fitbit is for me.
  • gregwork32
    gregwork32 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm new to fitbit. I have the ultra my wife got one first then I did it help me keep focused and aware that I need to be moving and not on my butt and if you go to earndit.com they have challenges with other people... it fun, motivating, and my wife and I support each other if one is in need to get a few more activity points for the day we say lets take the dogs for a walk even though they had 6 or 7 already :wink:
  • mishka0007
    mishka0007 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would be under eating if not for my FITBIT I love it!!!!

I LOVE my FitBit! I am much more active since I bought it. I wear it day and night to keep me on track!
  • iainf101
    iainf101 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have had mine for a couple of months and would say that, despite the cost, it is worth it.

It has definitely helped me, particularly the integration with MFP.

It is not too accurate for cycling - this is well recognised by the company and they do make it very clear on their website - it is, after all a high-tech pedometer, and so I also use it in conjunction with a heart rate monitor. I have just come back from a 16 mile cycle and there was quite a difference in the calorie count between the Fitbit and the Digifit, which I use with my HRM on an iPhone. It also told me I had walked up about 25 flights of stairs, which of course I hadn't. As stated above, Fitbit do recognise the shortcomings and tell you, and also how to work round them.

Therefore, an HRM integrated with MFP and a Fitbit will give as close a result as possible for your overall calorie burn over the course of the day.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I got mine from Amazon.com. It was $10 cheaper. I use mine every day. I did have some problems with the usb station but contacted the company and they replaced it for free.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love mine...better yet. Last week while hiking I lost mine. I knew about where I lost it but couldn't locate. I sent an e mail to fitbit asking if there was any magic to finding a lost fitbit....they sent me a new one at no charge! Not saying this is their policy for all but I was impressed. Thank you fitbit team if your reading this!

This happened to me as well, and they also have a replacement one heading out to me as we speak! It is a great device and the customer service level is awesome!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

They are 2 totally different devices. I use both. Fitbit all the time and HRM for Cardio (running) you log your calories burned on the HRM and it asks what time you started. Fitbit automatically adjusts the calorie count for you so it doesn't double log. I love that it syncs with MFP, it is flawless so far.